Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I don't find teen Jean annoying but everytime I think about her makes me think of lesser chances of adult Jean Grey returning.
    Well, Marvel can always rip a page from Nathan's book and shunt Jeen to the future and then return her to the present as an adult. Wait... No, scratch that thought. Jeen just might return to the present powerful enough to cause Emma to go crawling back to the Hellfire Club in tears
    Last edited by ZNOP; 01-01-2016 at 04:56 PM.

BANNED

Because she doesn't self harm at all and especially not to MCR / DM?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Because she doesn't self harm at all and especially not to MCR / DM?
    Jean Grey is shown as a person who is put through extreme stresses. Almost as soon as she arrives in the present, she learns via the telepathy no longer being suppressed by Xavier that she is dead in what is--for her--the not terribly distant future. The more she learns, the more she discovers that is unsettling--that she dies multiple times, that her entire family has been murdered, that she has powers her mentor has been suppressing, that her destiny seems to die young so she can be absorbed by a genocidal cosmic force, that she is developing new power sets that no one is training her in, et cetera.

Learning all of these terrible things would stress anyone. Combine this stress with a determination to change things, if not enough to allow her to avert her terrible fate then enough to justify her sacrifices, and I'd bet that most people would act like teen Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    That's just Bendis' style. With him, the form is often more important than the content. He takes shortcut with what he think isn't important to the story. Characters went from the Savage Land to the middle of Canada without any explanation because he didn't think it was worth even hinting at how they did it. Characters who had absolutely no reasons to live together as recluse on Utopia were suddenly doing just that and kicking anyone that were coming near because that was the story Bendis wanted to write. And Bendis often used Jeen's TP because it was a shortcut or because it was making for humoristic/funny scenes without implying a deeper meaning.

That ask the question about how to know if a scene is supposed to have a deeper meaning or if it's just supposed to be entertaining? The answer is in the reaction of the other characters: If they don't mind or don't have any negative reactions than the scene wasn't writen to show some deeper, more sinister, purpose. As a reader, you may choose to interpret it that way and be offended in the name of the characters (some people like to feel offended in the name of others...), but that's not what the author wrote and, probably, not what the author meant.
    Problem there is just because it may be Bendis' style doesn't excuse lazy writing. Lazy writing where things merely happen because Bendis says completely disregarding either a character's history or logic as a whole deserves to be questioned or criticized. There's no defense for bad writing, especially on a professional level.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Problem there is just because it may be Bendis' style doesn't excuse lazy writing. Lazy writing where things merely happen because Bendis says completely disregarding either a character's history or logic as a whole deserves to be questioned or criticized. There's no defense for bad writing, especially on a professional level.
    Agreed. I'm not sure that Jean's portrayal is a matter of bad writing. As I wrote above, I think she's behaving in the way one could expect from a person subjected to multiple massive ongoing issues.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Where to even begin?

Bah, I'll keep it short. Every-freakin-body else in the book was a much better, less selfish person. We wouldn't be having such conversations if Jeen had been surrounded by like-minded selfish douchebags. Problem is, she wasn't.

I kinda of agree that Marvel wants to make a Jean Grey that is strong by herself since the beginning, and that they think the old Jean is kinda of an Mary Sue for being perfect, and like people here like to say, a "saint", so they think that Jean being determined to change her story and everything is more interesting. What kinda is, but it gets a bit lost since whatever the O5 do in the present/future won't really change anything, and they became duplicates of their older-selfs.

Also, the adult Jean was already very powerful, first, because she was the Phoenix, and even if the whole Phoenix became just a reason for Marvel to make horrible plots about possession and deus ex-machina stuff, I'm pretty sure if the old Jean were still alive she would remained the Phoenix and none of this **** would ever happen. Second, she could do things like molecular telekinesis! She was already being portrayed as powerful enough for years, so she just evolved, and that's fine.

About her personality again, I feel like they are so hardly trying to put most of the character in an "grey"(no pun intended) line of ethic(I couldn't find a better word?), that a person who is just really good, nice and kind like Jean are starting to be the minority, so it would just make her more unique. I'm liking how Jeen is being written by Lemire though, and I don't even have an actual problem about how she was by Bendis either.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 01-01-2016 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Where to even begin?

Bah, I'll keep it short. Every-freakin-body else in the book was a much better, less selfish person. We wouldn't be having such conversations if Jeen had been surrounded by like-minded selfish douchebags. Problem is, she wasn't.
    I get the feeling if she was we wouldn't be having this conversation because someone wound have told her to mind her own damn business with their powers rather than their mouths. Oh how much better things could've been if that happened.

I at least find Jean annoying for the same reason a lot of people found Hope annoying: They keep going on about how special and powerful and wonderful she is despite not really showing it, and everyone loves her already despite barely knowing her.

Even if theres more of a reason for it with her then Hope (people know her future self), its still kind of annoying to see the show versus tell rule violated so badly. She comes off as mary sue-ish, ike Bella in Twilight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Paptimus View Post
    I at least find Jean annoying for the same reason a lot of people found Hope annoying: They keep going on about how special and powerful and wonderful she is despite not really showing it, and everyone loves her already despite barely knowing her.

Even if theres more of a reason for it with her then Hope (people know her future self), its still kind of annoying to see the show versus tell rule violated so badly. She comes off as mary sue-ish, ike Bella in Twilight.
    Since you've mentioned it, i like teen Jean more than Hope.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Since you've mentioned it, i like teen Jean more than Hope.
    I had forgotten Hope was even a character. I haven't seen her in a long time. Which I think is pretty weird. She gets hyped up as the savior of mutants, does her thing, then falls off the radar.

Incredible Member

I think this may get closer to the point. We the readers are familiar with the many achievements of the adult Jean Grey, which extend to saving the Earth multiple times and preserving the entire universe at least once. The contrast between that and her transplanted teen self is noteworthy.

Fantastic Member TheForbiddenOne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    I had forgotten Hope was even a character. I haven't seen her in a long time. Which I think is pretty weird. She gets hyped up as the savior of mutants, does her thing, then falls off the radar.
    As it should be. I hope we never see Hope again until the crossover where she dies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I don't have anything against her being stronger due to her gaining her powers sooner, it's her attitude that I don't like. The way that she used her powers on her closest friends is not okay and even worse is that she never learns that simple lesson. Just because she chooses not to be so self-sacrificing doesn't fix her the excuse to be a nosy bitch shoving herself into what doesn't concern her and is none of her business.
    Nice characters in comics never do well in comics. Goody two shoes Adult Jean was killed off and kept dead so Emma and her Cuckoos could shine. Notice that Emma and the Cuckoos never ask for permission to read minds.

Now her mind controlling Warren was wrong. She hasn't done anything like that sense the big confrontation about that.

But the original Jean that died because she was portrayed even as Phoenix as a weak compassionate, soul.

After the X-Men defeat Magneto/Xorn, she goes over to comfort him like an idiot, and he kills kill. Not to mention that due to her inexperience with telepathy Mastermind got to Phoenix/Jean the first time around. Upon seeing what happened to her older counterpart Jeen rejected what she stood for and decided to be a different person. A harder person.

Come to think about it, no male hero would ever have gone over to a defeated villain to try to comfort him. Sadly Jean as the good girl would do something like that. It's why she was killed.

And it's why Jeen learned her powers on her own, and that was trained by the best telepathic teacher. The White Queen.

BANNED

Jeen saved everyone in No More Humans. She played a big part in defeated baby Xavier. She kicked the Imperial Guards butts. In Extraordinary X-Men 4 she threw down in Limbo and did pretty good. In Black Vortex she siphoned power from the Supreme Intelligence and took out a whole group of enhanced Kree soldiers.