Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    This is a thread about teen Jean, hence why we're talking about her specifically. If anyone wants to bring up other characters that do similarly annoying things, feel free to. I am not saying no other character is annoying or does the same thing, but if I wanted to talk about how annoying those characters were I'd have made threads for them. So just make peace with that.

So people can stop thinking this is a double standard, because it really isn't. I just happened to want to discuss teen Jean right now.
    Perhaps you haven't noticed but this isn't an appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Come to think of it no one rants about Quentin Quire for using his telepathic powers to read minds, or to be a jerk. It's how he is and the character is popular. Mind you teen Jean is popular as well, it's just that some readers miss the boring Saint Jean that she replaced.
    No, it's because he a boy... Plain and simple!

Emma's powers were restored. As for bad girls Black Widow, Magik, Mystique, Electra, Emma Frost, Psylocke all good more coverage than the "good" girls you mention. The original Jean was weak and would faint in the early comics as well, and she was so inept with her telepathic powers she let herself be inthralled by Mastermind (when she was Phoenix).
    Then it's a good thing that Emma Frost didn't provide Mastermind with the technology that let Jean Grey allow herself to be enthralled by Mastermind, huh?
    Last edited by ZNOP; 01-02-2016 at 05:21 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenOne View Post
    I actually cannot remember the last time Frost abused her power like that other than AVX. The Cuckoos are probably kers tbh they just haven't been relevant enough in the grand scheme of things for people to care.

It is true that Jean is a teenager so whats happening is somewhat understandable but I don't thing that makes the readers' feelings about her any less valid. People dislike teenagers all the time. Jean happens to be one of those
    Emma is always aware of what's going on around her. Jeen was not subtle. The Cuckoos certainly have been relevant enough. There's a double standard from some complainers. The writers aren't interested in writing a saintly female character, which is why Marvel kept saintly adult Jean dead in favor of Emma and the Cuckoos, Hope, and now teen Jean. Jeen is the reinvention of Jean.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]

Perhaps you haven't noticed but this isn't an appreciation thread

That's not what I was trying to say. I'm just tired of people either accusing me of a) misogyny based on nothing or b) having double standards. Both of which are untrue. I don't know how many times I have to say I don't dislike Jean because she's a female before people understand that. Or that I'd be equally as annoyed by her even if she were male. And do find male characters who the same thing she does as I've already mentioned Kid Omega twice.
    Last edited by thecrimson; 01-02-2016 at 05:20 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    They did it in Bendis' ANXM/UXM several time. Like in UXM #4 when they read the O5's minds. Emma even tell the Cuckoos that they shouldn't do that just before asking them to tell her what the O5 think. The thing is that Bendis is using/abusing TP as a storytelling tool. It let him take shortcuts, depict scenes that would have been more awkward or taken longer if had to use a normal conversation between the characters and/or make jokes.
    The Cuckoos also invade Emma's own mind to find out why her powers were broken. Before Dormammu pulled the team to Limbo, the Cuckoos telepathically inform Emma that Magik is in pain and that her powers are broken. The Cuckoos have always been depicted as being aware of all that's going on around them. They knew Quentin was going to do his riot. Emma and the Cuckoos discovered Mystique inflitrated the mansion.

BANNED

No double standard on my part. If she were male, this thread would still exist and I'd find her every bit as annoying as, say, Kid Omega who is probably the closest male equivalent I can think of. People seem to keep trying to find alternative reasons for why I must dislike teen Jean, as if there's no legitimate reason why I'd find the character annoying. "Oh, maybe he's a misogynist. Or maybe it's a double standard because this thread isn't about a male character doing the same thing." No, I find teen Jean annoying because she invades her friends' privacy despite being told repeatedly not to do so. End of story. That's why I think she's annoying. Again, I'd find the behavior horrible even with a male character, I wouldn't call them 'cool.' And the reason I only now posted the thread is I just finished All-New X-Men yesterday. Otherwise I'd have made this months ago.

Also I wasn't around for the clones ratting out Emma and Scott, but if I was I'd have pointed out how that wasn't cool either.

Look, I don't mind anyone having a different opinion than me, so if any of you want to debate me on my opinion using your own, I welcome it, but if people are just going to attempt to try to 'uncover' my ulterior motives behind this thread, then I should just get a mod to close it.
    Yet you didn't create a thread about all the unethical things Xavier did with his telepathic powers, or how much of a prick Quentin Quire can be. So again the double standard against female characters applies.

Xavier mind wiped a whole team of X-Men from Cyclops's memories, including his BROTHER! Xavier blocked Jean's powers, which put her behind in the development of her telepathic powers. That enabled Mastermind to get to her. Professor Xavier has mind wiped whole towns to keep the X-Men's secrets. Xavier broke Wolverine's mind and remade it in order to make him the ideal X-Man. Jeen has not done 1/4 of the unethical things Xavier did with his telepathic powers. Oh Xavier's dark side the entity psychically raped Danielle Moonstar. Yet for some reason people don't rant about him.

Yet you didn't create a thread about all the unethical things Xavier did with his telepathic powers, or how much of a prick Quentin Quire can be. So again the double standard against female characters applies.

Xavier mind wiped a whole team of X-Men from Cyclops's memories, including his BROTHER! Xavier blocked Jean's powers, which put her behind in the development of her telepathic powers. That enabled Mastermind to get to her. Professor Xavier has mind wiped whole towns to keep the X-Men's secrets. Xavier broke Wolverine's mind and remade it in order to make him the ideal X-Man. Jeen has not done 1/4 of the unethical things Xavier did with his telepathic powers. Oh Xavier's dark side the entity psychically raped Danielle Moonstar. Yet for some reason people don't rant about him.
    Because I just came off reading All-New X-Men. Holy crap, does no one read? That's why this thread is about Teen Jean. Because that's the most recent thing I read. I didn't just read some old story about Xavier being a prick or something with Quire. Okay? If I had I'd probably have done so, but guess what? That's not what I had just recently finished reading. You know who else I just made a thread about? X-23. Because I'd been reading some X-23 comics and wanted to know if the new book is true to her character.

I post threads about things I've just recently read. Teen Jean was on my mind, not Xavier or Quire. Hence the existence of this thread, not double standards. Yes, I'm getting upset. One tends to do that when repeatedly being told you're doing something for reasons that aren't remotely true.
    Last edited by thecrimson; 01-02-2016 at 05:31 AM.

I guess Bendis is fine with changing a character to fit the story he'd prefer to tell. I mean, I mentioned it before but his X-23 was a lot different from the one that appeared in past comics. And as someone who read every major X-23 story in 3 days prior to reading All-New X-Men, it was even more obvious.
    Yes, Bendis takes the characters and just write them like if they were new characters if that fit his purpose. He said that the time the O5 spend in the present is changing them but he actualy already changed them in the very first issue. He made Tank the archetypal teen genius with problem to socialize and no life or interest outside science. But Hank was going out in trendy place, being part of the artistic community, reciting poems among his peers, dating girls. The original young Hank and Tank are nearly the opposite.

Because I came off reading All-New X-Men. Holy crap, does no one read? That's why this thread is about Teen Jean. Because that's the most recent thing I read. I didn't just read some old story about Xavier being a prick or something with Quire. Okay?
    During Xavier's Will, Rachel said that she knew all along where the NXS was because she is "a psychic and she is nosy" (that what she actualy says in the comic). Bendis just loves to write that kind of things.

BANNED

Yes, Bendis takes the characters and just write them like if they were new characters if that fit his purpose. He said that the time the O5 spend in the present is changing them but he actualy already changed them in the very first issue. He made Tank the archetypal teen genius with problem to socialize and no life or interest outside science. But Hank was going out in trendy place, being part of the artistic community, reciting poems among his peers, dating girls. The original young Hank and Tank are nearly the opposite.
    Adult Jean had friends outside of the X-Men and Xavier's school for gifted children she also visited her family from time to time.

During Xavier's Will, Rachel said that she knew all along where the NXS was because she is "a psychic and she is nosy" (that what she actualy says in the comic). Bendis just loves to write that kind of things.
    I didn't read the Xavier's Will story.

BANNED

I didn't read the Xavier's Will story.
    No? Well, you didn't really miss anything.

Emma's powers were restored. As for bad girls Black Widow, Magik, Mystique, Electra, Emma Frost, Psylocke all good more coverage than the "good" girls you mention. The original Jean was weak and would faint in the early comics as well, and she was so inept with her telepathic powers she let herself be inthralled by Mastermind (when she was Phoenix).
    Black widow and Electra comics are cancelled. The X brand doesn't receive the same type of support from Marvel that it used to.

Jean is not the only person to fall victim to mind control. Even Emma had that happen to her. Jean hadn't been weak in decades

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Jean hadn't been weak in decades
    She hasn't been alive in decades

Look, apparently even more explanation is needed for some people. So here's story time with TC.

For the past half year, I've barely read comics. Outside of reading the new #1 of Amazing Spider-Man, that's been pretty much it. This month I got a free month of Marvel Unlimited, so to prepare for All-New Wolverine, I read every major appearance of X-23. In doing so, I had to read the rest of All-New X-Men. That's why I made a thread as soon as I finished that series about me finding (imo) teen Jean to be annoying. Why didn't I make one about Xavier or Quire? Because in the case of Quire, I haven't read anything with him in it since 2012. The last time I read something with Xavier being a jerk on the same level as Quire? Before 2009.

It's pretty much that simple. I barely even remembered those two existed because the last time I saw them was years ago, so me making a thread about a character who happened to be female isn't an example of double standards. It's an example of someone who hasn't read many comic books lately and had forgotten certain characters at the time of posting this. Plus back when I first discovered Xavier's history of being a jerk, I did talk about it. That was in 2009, when I joined this site, though. And I did complain, because up until then I thought he was nice. So once again, the reason I made a thread is because it was recently on my mind.

She is a very very powerful. She reads all your thoughts, knows all your secrets. It can force you to do what she wants. This is a dangerous combination with teenage unstable psyche. Better not be with her.