Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Week 25

Groo Friends and Foes 9-12 (4)
    Daredevil (1964) 100-101 (2)

Total for the week: 6
    Total for the year: 1075

Ocean #1-6
    Some interesting sci-fi concepts and challenges by Ellis and Sprouse. Padded at times, but worth checking out.

Ultimate Human #1-4

Decent follow-up to Millar/ Hitch's The Ultimates, as Iron Man tries to cure the Hulk, but things go wrong for interesting reasons.

The Flash #183-200, Secret Files #3, Our Worlds at War
    Tremednously well-done solo superhero series, especially in the fights against Grodd and Zoom.

The Astounding Wolfman #1-11/ Invincible #57
    Kinda makes sense that Kirkman would try to merge horror and superheroes, although this take on the werewolf legend takes a dark turn (for a superhero series.)

Dark Night: A True Batman Story (5 issues worth)
    This story about how Paul Dini recovered from a violent mugging while working on the Batman animated series might speak mostly to a particular type of person, but I'm in that category.

Uncanny X-Men #160-168

This is a strong stretch of issues with the introduction of Belasco, a flashback revealing the start of Magneto and Xavier's relationship, a tremendous Wolverine solo story, the Brood saga (with one of the nastiest challenges ever for the X-Men, and one of their best cosmic stories) and the aftermath to it.

Johnny Dynamite #1-4:
    A well-told Hollywood noir, with a supernatural twist. Stays interesting despite that.

I had a trial subscription to Comixology Unlimited, which introduced me to some comics. It's not a bad deal, but the selection is rather limited in comparison to spotify and netflix.

Parasyte Volume 1 (10 Issues Worth)
    I read this manga in Mixxzine/ Tokyopop, although this is a new translation. It's a clever concept well-realized, as a human is transformed by an encounter with aliens, and finds himself fighting a secret invasion,

Outcast #1-6
    Solid horror comic by Kirkman and Azaceta.

TEOTFW
    (4 Issues Worth)
    Decent indie graphic novel with a unique take on teen angst as a high school girl goes off with her boyfriend, unaware that he's pretty much a sociopath (albeit a relatively well-realized one.)

Star Trek: The Gorn Crisis (4 Issues Worth)
    Decent licensed comic as a minor Star Trek race faces a revolution. The art by Igor Kordey is sometimes quite impressive.

And some Spider-Man...
    Amazing Spdier-Man #172-175, 698-700
    Superman VS The Amazing Spider-Man (4 issues worth)

Total So Far: 1,416 issues

Best of the Batch: Probably the stretch of issues from The Flash #192-200, though "Dying Wish" and the Brood saga would have been clear winners in many previous entries.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The Flash #201-225: The series stays interesting, but there is a dip in quality. I'm not sure if it's due to a change in artists, the darker tone, the way Geoff Johns has less to say about the character, or the amount of time spent getting back to an earlier status quo.

Wonder Woman: Hiketia (4 Issues Worth)- Almost like a classic tragedy as Batman and Wonder Woman find themselves on opposite sides of a conflict due to a woman inspired by the furies.

Wonder Woman #195-214:
    A solid read, especially when the conflicts get interesting, but there's a lot of people sitting/ standing talking, and it does feel padded.

Identity Crisis #1-7: A controversial comic, but I like it.

Usagi Yojimbo Volume 2 #1-14: Maintains its standard for consistent excellence after the first volume.

The Astounding Wolfman #12-25:
    Loses a bit of bite, although the victories are earned.

Catwoman Volume 2 #1-4: Solid set-up to a new era by Brubaker and Cooke, as Selina tries to do the right thing.

Rom Spaceknight #7-9: Remains a solid bronze age Marvel comic about the consequences of getting caught in a cosmic war.

Annihilation #1-6/ Heralds of Galactus #1-2: Epic space opera. Sometimes over the top.

Mister X #1-5: Great sense of worldbuilding/ tone.

Total So Far: 1,520 Issues

Best of the Batch- Wonder Woman: Hiketia
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

After reading Bone I thought I'd catch up with a few odds and eds that I had lying around and try and make a dent in the ever growing pile of trades. Upon doing this I have just reaffirmed the direction I'm going in with my reading. I really do prefer whole stories, large epics tales i can really get into and not so much the serial episodic nature of comics. Not only do they not satisfy me the same way that a larger tome does but I just don't feel any empathy with the characters, any desire to find out what is going to happen next. Maybe it was the books I read but even ones where the story seemed interesting (Iron Man) I just had no desire to pick up the next issue to see where it went. Anyway on to the books:

Timely comics: New Avengers 3 issues
    The Timely comics are the first three issues of select post SW comics and the first on I read was New Avengers by Ewing and Sandoval. The concept was okay but I really don't like Ewing's style of writing, far too much exposition and stilted dialogue. This one is a miss for me.

Timely Comics: Invincible Iron Man 3 Issues

This was a lot better than expected and it reminded me of the early Bendis books I enjoy, the plot was interesting and there was enough intrigue to make me curious about the next book but just not enough interest for me to really care. Maybe it's one of the MU app way down the road.

Timely Comics: Squadron Supreme 3 issues

This was pretty good, I think it was based on the main post SW earth but I'm not 100%. The characters were very interesting and the conflict is (was) building up to something I wanted to follow but then they had the change of direction in the third issue which left me flat. Not sure what I'm going to do with this one.

Timely Comics: Totally Awesome Hulk 3 issues

I love Pak's writing and his Planet Hulk is one of my favourite Hulk comics but again this didn't do it for me. The initial story was okay and again the new plot element throw in at the end of the third issue seemed boring.

[b] Timely Comics: Scarlet Witch [b] 3 Issues

I really wanted to enjoy this, especially as the first couples of issues were beautifully drown, had interesting story elements and decent scripting but by the third issues I was flipping pages and just skimming the copy. Hopefully this is one of those books that reads really well as a single book, a decent 12 issue hardcover or the like. It is one to watch.

Concrete Park Vol 1+2 9 issues

What a great story, now this is more like it. Though it doesn't fit into my ramble above it was a book that just hooked me, great story and amazing art. I am really looking forward to the third volume which should be out this year.

Batman :The Killing Joke 2 issues

No need to say too much about this, but it is a great and creepy read.

[b] Through the Woods [ /b] 5 issues

Some interesting horror tinged stories and decent art. Over all worth a read though it is quite light and a very quick read.

Hinges: Clockwork City 5 issues
    Really interesting book, though it can be tough to follow. I think I lost the thread a couple of times. It really needs a second read through to really get to grips with the story, not because it is complicated just not easy to make sense as so much is done purely with the art and not text. The art itself is beautiful and I may be tempted to pick up the second volume.

Providence 7 1 Issue

A slower issue that reveals a lot more information that the others. I really want to read this in one go once the story is complete but will stick with the single issue for now as I'm actually hooked and the single issues actually feel like single issues and not part of a larger book that are arbitrarily packaged.

Wonder Woman 1 1 Issue

Decent art but the story didn't hook me. which is a shame as I heard good things about this book. Also my DC comics interest was piqued after reading DC Rebirth.

EDIT: I also read:

A-Babies vs X-babies 5 issues

It was only one issue that tied into AvX and then a bunch of random x-babies issues. The main AvX was great but the other ones were very hit and miss.

This week: 43
    Total: 354
    Last edited by Mr`Orange; 07-04-2016 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Flash #201-225: The series stays interesting, but there is a dip in quality. I'm not sure if it's due to a change in artists, the darker tone, the way Geoff Johns has less to say about the character, or the amount of time spent getting back to an earlier status quo.

Usagi Yojimbo Volume 2 #1-14: Maintains its standard for consistent excellence after the first volume.
    [B]

Catwoman Volume 2 #1-4: Solid set-up to a new era by Brubaker and Cooke, as Selina tries to do the right thing.
    I really want to give both of these a go.

After 2+ weeks:

Empty Zone #1
    Descender 7-11 (5 issues)
    No Mercy #9
    Civil War X-Men #1
    Uncanny X-Men #8
    Deadly Class #20
    They’re Not Like Us #12
    Revival Vol. 6 (6 issues)
    Spider-Man #4
    Trish Out of Water Vol 1 (5 issues)
    Wicked + Divine 18-19
    East of West 25-26
    Postal 11-12
    The Violent #4
    Wonderland 46-47
    Hellchild #2
    Switch #3
    Outcast #18
    Black Science #21
    Swords of Sorrow Complete Saga (21 issues)
    Inferno Resurrection #1
    Extraordinary X-Men #11
    Uncanny X-Men #9

63 issues for a total of 564
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

Fantastic Member

The complete Damage Control drags me across the finish line at 1010 for the year. Good lord.

Spectacular Member

Week 26

Daredevil (1964) 102-117 (16)
    Barbe Rouge Integrale 7 (4)

Total for the week: 20
    Total for the year: 1095

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    The complete Damage Control drags me across the finish line at 1010 for the year. Good lord.
    Is It a slog? I was thinking about picking it up

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    TOTAL: 136 issues
    COBRA: The Last Laugh - 16 issues
    SAGA (#1-18) - 18 issues
    WONDER WOMAN vol. 1 - 6 issues
    WALKING DEAD vol. 1-3 - 18 issues
    ------------
    58 issues

TOTAL: 194 issues

REVIEWS

COBRA: THE LAST LAUGH - 8/10
    This book is so good and criminally under(/non)rated. If you have ever had an interest in GI Joe, or caught up on the Classic GI Joe collections, please do yourself a favor and check out this OHC.

Even if you're not a fan of GI Joe I think this interpretation and book probably holds up. Great characters, dialogue, and plotting.

I just reread it digitally, so I don't remember if it's actually oversized or not, but I'm pretty sure I recall that it is.

SAGA OHC (#1-18) - 7/10
    There's no denying BKV is a master of this craft. The story/plotting is superb, the dialogue is fantastic, the creativity & imagination of this vast new world is remarkable...

All that being said... I can't help but feel overall underwhelmed & disinterested.

I just don't see/understand the inherent value and need for this story. Or for this story to exist in this fictional world. It's so expansive, and so creative, but it doesn't drive home to me a real purpose for its existence.

Does that make sense?

WONDER WOMAN by Azzarello vol. 1 - 7/10
    I had such high anticipation for this series, and my expectations were unfortunately not met. I had started the book with the original launch of the new 52, but never committed to pulling it monthly b/c with all the buzz I figured it would eventually be collected in a better format.

I found the storytelling to be very disjointed, a few times I found myself double checking the tablet I was reading it on to make sure it wasn't skipping panels or pages.

I did enjoy the heavy mythological bend. Perhaps b/c I'm currently midway through the Byrne WW omni and it's so heavy on the Greek pantheon & the mythology behind Diana's story. The few times I had tried to pick up WW in the past though (Simone/JMS/Hester) I did not get that vibe, they always felt way more grounded in general superhero land. This version seems to go back to those roots a bit stronger.

I will read the next volume for sure, and the story is certainly better than avg., but (as of now) borrowing it from the library will be more than enough for me, I feel no need to own or re-read it a bunch.

WALKING DEAD vol. 1-3 (#1-18) - 8/10
    Wow, it's been a long time since I first read these books. Been nearly a decade since I used to hit up the B&N near my office in midtown Manhattan for some lunchbreak Walking Dead reading.

Having caught up on the TV series recently, the issues didn't pack quite the same punch, but it's still so well-delivered & packaged that it makes for a great read every time.

Actually, I don't usually have an opinion on art, but I did find a lot of the faces throughout to be confusing. But even with that minor quibble, the book still ranks. It's a series I have not yet been compelled to own though, but the more times I borrow out to reread, I imagine I will need to own my own set eventually.

WALKING DEAD vol. 1-3 (#1-18) - 8/10
    Wow, it's been a long time since I first read these books. Been nearly a decade since I used to hit up the B&N near my office in midtown Manhattan for some lunchbreak Walking Dead reading.

Having caught up on the TV series recently, the issues didn't pack quite the same punch, but it's still so well-delivered & packaged that it makes for a great read every time.

Actually, I don't usually have an opinion on art, but I did find a lot of the faces throughout to be confusing. But even with that minor quibble, the book still ranks. It's a series I have not yet been compelled to own though, but the more times I borrow out to reread, I imagine I will need to own my own set eventually.
    There are a lot of very generic looking people in the early part of TWD and it can be hard to differentiate them especially as the book is in black and white. Thankfully this isn't as bad later on. I am still really enjoying the book and considering I'm a solid 144 issue in that is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    There are a lot of very generic looking people in the early part of TWD and it can be hard to differentiate them especially as the book is in black and white. Thankfully this isn't as bad later on. I am still really enjoying the book and considering I'm a solid 144 issue in that is impressive.
    Yeah. That's awesome to hear.

Yeah. That's awesome to hear.
    I buy the oversized edition, so 24 issues in book, and the only issue I have is that I wish they did a recap at the beginning to remind me what happened two years ago when I last read the book! But otherwise I am really pleased with the story and how they have kept it fresh.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Is It a slog? I was thinking about picking it up
    It's hard to say. The last time I read it is when the original minis were published waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1989 and I was in middle school. The memory left behind was that it was funny, but it wasn't as remembered. But, it was (kinda?) funny. But, it's not where my sense of humor, or lack thereof, is currently is at. Still, I love the idea of Damage Control. It does get wonky in the third 1989 mini-series. The current Damage Control stuff from World War Hulk was better written by a seasoned Dwayne McDuffie.

It's, unfortunately, going on my for sale pile.

Secret invasion aftermath: Beta Ray Bill. 1 issue

Beta Ray Bill: God Hunter 1-3. 3 issues

Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything 1-5. 5 issues

TMNT onging #59. 1 issue

Empress 1-3. 3 issues

Conan (2004) #47-50. 4 issues

Garfield 5-8. 4 issues

Marvel Spotlight #9. 1 issue (captain universe)

Avengers (1963) #13. 1 issue

Black Knight (1955) 1-5. 5 issues

Quasar (1989) #1. 1 issue
    Marvel Two-in-One (1974) #53. 1 issue

New Total = 755.

I signed up for Hoopla a couple weeks back, so i've been jumping around a lot. With that app i'm finally able to jump back into Dark Horse's Conan series. I enjoyed the first 45 issues, but i just didn't like it enough to keep putting money into it. The garfield comic series is written by Mark Evanier. He did most of the writing for the TV show, so this really feels like a nice continuation of that. Also, its easier for him to add more characters since there isn't a limit because of animation and voices.

Mark Millar's empress is ok. The three issues feel like one big long action scene stretched out. It would probably work better reading it as a trade. I can't believe that the series has already been bought to make a movie out of it.

Beta Ray Bill is one of my favorite marvel characters. He was great in secret invasion, and i liked the Godhunter story just as much. But the story only makes sense if you've read a lot of the previous marvel cosmic issues. Galactus is in a weakened state here because of what Thanos did to him and you have to read the previous beta ray bill mini series to really understand why he's so pissed off.

Bebop & Rocksteady destroy everything was awesome. They used old TMNT characters from the original comic series and kind of tied them all together with a time travel/dimension hopping story. You might enjoy it even if you haven't read any of the original material or the IDW ongoing, but really you need to have read both to really get all the references and everything.

The biggest surprise for me was Marvel putting up the Atlas era Black Knight series on Unlimited. I hadn't even heard of this series before. I loved it. Stan's over the top dialogue works with an Arthurian legend type story. Its a shame that the artist died so young.

I wish marvel would just go ahead and put the rest of Quasar and Marvel Two-in-One on Umlimited. That or bring them out in an epic format. The cosmic side is missing a lot of material from the 80s and 90s on unlimited.