Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I'm at 40 and in the middle of reading DMZ. I spent a lot of time and effort upgrading last year, it's time to use 2016 to enjoy the spoils of eBay selling.

I read:

Thors #1-3: decent, but expected more from Aaron and Sprouse.
    Ghost Racers #1: meh, just meh.
    Star Wars: The Last Command #3: good adaptation of Zahn's book.
    Punisher #28-9: Ennis writing the Punisher. You know what to expect.
    X-Men: The lives and times of Lucas Bishop #3: a miniseries whose conclusion I forgot to read. This says all.
    Ninja #10

Total: 14 books.

Amazing Member

Punisher Max Omnibus, loved the comics and finally round to reading the omnibus and it's one of my favourite runs

2016 total - 44

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    How was the IZombie Omnibus? I love the show, but the comics looked different, and I think a big part of the show for me is the actors.
    Pretty much the only thing that stays the same from the show is that the main character eats brains and gets memories from them. The characters are all pretty different from the show, but you can see bits and pieces that could maybe be inspiration. That being said, I really liked the series. It's a lot more supernatural than the show. The whole series is pretty much one big storyline, which I liked. Even though the characters weren't the same, I still liked most of them. The series has a humorous tone, that actually might be the part most similar to the show. Overall, I'd recommended the omnibus, but not if you're hoping for it be a lot like the show

All-New Member

This is a brilliant idea, enough so to make me finally sign up!

I'm not sure how many I've already read this year but I'll start counting today. I've been going back through the big Marvel events and have made it as far as Schism, and I have also set myself a project of reading every Marvel book from FF#1 onwards and I'm around 100 or so in with that. I'll try to add reviews where I can / if anything is interesting enough.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by enguarde22 View Post
    Pretty much the only thing that stays the same from the show is that the main character eats brains and gets memories from them. The characters are all pretty different from the show, but you can see bits and pieces that could maybe be inspiration. That being said, I really liked the series. It's a lot more supernatural than the show. The whole series is pretty much one big storyline, which I liked. Even though the characters weren't the same, I still liked most of them. The series has a humorous tone, that actually might be the part most similar to the show. Overall, I'd recommended the omnibus, but not if you're hoping for it be a lot like the show
    Interesting. Yes, the tone of show of is probably more what I meant to say rather than the actor specifically -- though obviously, they contribute. The idea of more supernatural elements is also a plus. I just haven't really read anything long with Allred's art. Thanks for the info. I'll put it on my list to try. My library system is statewide, so it makes it easier to try things.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    This is a brilliant idea, enough so to make me finally sign up!

I'm not sure how many I've already read this year but I'll start counting today. I've been going back through the big Marvel events and have made it as far as Schism, and I have also set myself a project of reading every Marvel book from FF#1 onwards and I'm around 100 or so in with that. I'll try to add reviews where I can / if anything is interesting enough.
    Every Marvel book, or every FF book? Cause the first is a HUGE endevour -- though I'm interested in both.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Every Marvel book, or every FF book? Cause the first is a HUGE endevour -- though I'm interested in both.
    Every Marvel Book. I know it's a little ambitious but it's been a lot of fun so far! I've been using this for the order. In fairness most of the highlights have come from Fantastic Four, a book I'd never really paid much attention to before, but there have been some fun, goofy ant-man issues too.

All-New Member

What I've managed so far this year:-

Prelude to Schism 1 - 4 Enjoyed this quite a bit, with hindsight I'm not sure how it related to Schism but it was an interesting look back at important X-Men history.
    Schism 1 - 5 Good build up but pretty weak ending
    Generation Hope 1 - 11 Really enjoying this series, engaging characters and the effects of training children to be soldiers
    Journey into Mystery 98
    Tales of Suspense 47
    Tales to Astonish 49 - First Appearance of Giant-Man. The villain is 'The Eraser' and it's almost as if Stan and Jack were taking inspiration from art supplies lying around the bullpen.
    Avengers 2

Total - 24

BANNED

Superman/Batman #8-13: While I enjoyed Absolute Power, it wasn't as exciting or strong as the Public Enemies and the Supergirl arc.

Green Arrow #48: I really hope that the Pacific Northwest area plays a big part in the Green Arrow mythos, it's a very unique setting for a superhero.

Action Comics #48: I don't know whether I liked it or not, but do love that the Justice League United made an appearance.

Legend of Wonder Woman #9: Renae is just brilliant. I hope she gets to write a WW series that is in-cont.

Injustice: Year Five #3: I wish Year Five was told by the villains PoV.

Radioactive Spider-Gwen #4: There's not one bad thing I can say about this book.

Green Lantern #48: I loved Hal's interaction with Black Grandma lol. Venditti's version of Sonar is effing incredible, he taking a Z-list silver age villain and making him such a threat. I might have to consider reading GL from the beginning.

Swamp Thing #1: I read this book in my room with the lights off and I was creeped out. Len Wein is doing it right. A Swamp Thing book is suppose to be creepy and spooky.

Total: 53
    Last edited by Starchild; 01-06-2016 at 10:33 PM.

Had to edit the post above since it had a mild spoiler for a current ongoing.

Since this is the Collected and Classics thread, if you post about an ongoing series you've just read, please NO SPOILERS!

thanks guys! (should have thought about this when I created the thread)

BANNED

Oh apologies, I completely forgot.

Every Marvel Book. I know it's a little ambitious but it's been a lot of fun so far! I've been using this for the order. In fairness most of the highlights have come from Fantastic Four, a book I'd never really paid much attention to before, but there have been some fun, goofy ant-man issues too.
    Wow. Color me impressed. Looking forward to reading your reviews. That will definitely fill up the 1000 this year.

Thanks for the reading order site, it's very helpful. I'm planning on getting back to my two major reading projects this year. ALL the Namor appearances, from his first appearances in the Silver Age -- I think I have them in one form or another. And the Doctor Strange books, starting with the first Strange Tales.

What I've managed so far this year:-

Prelude to Schism 1 - 4 Enjoyed this quite a bit, with hindsight I'm not sure how it related to Schism but it was an interesting look back at important X-Men history.
    Schism 1 - 5 Good build up but pretty weak ending
    Generation Hope 1 - 11 Really enjoying this series, engaging characters and the effects of training children to be soldiers
    Journey into Mystery 98
    Tales of Suspense 47
    Tales to Astonish 49 - First Appearance of Giant-Man. The villain is 'The Eraser' and it's almost as if Stan and Jack were taking inspiration from art supplies lying around the bullpen.
    Avengers 2

Total - 24
    Don't worry, no one was sure how Prelude to Schism related to Schism ... it was like an alternate universe story.

LOL! That sounds like a really fun story with Giant Man and the art supplies. May have to see if I can find that one.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

So I finally got started in 2016

Skærmbillede 2016-01-08 kl. 17.12.46.png

Secret Wars: Secret Love: Boring, but
    Howard the Human: Cool story and art. Highly recommended.
    Secret Wars Agents of Atlas: Same as Howard.
    Spider-Man/Deadpool #1: Awesome!
    Sheriff of Babylon #2: Awesome too!
    Invincible Iron Man #5: Bendis, don't mess this up.
    Star Wars #14: Nice.

Total: 22