Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Orion Omni - 29 issues
    New Avengers - 13-23 (11 issues)

TOTAL: 40 issues.

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Invincible Ultimate Collection HC volumes 7-10 50

BOOM! And just like that with, volume 7 the major overarching story arc ends! It was explosive, violent, and had the lasting repercussions us comic book readers love and enjoy. I won't spoil anything but Ottley totally delivers with the fight scenes during the climax and continually is improving his craft. Kirkman does a great job wrapping up a major story while also incorporating new ideas for future storytelling. It was so fun to have each volume building to this point and see it all come crashing down. The next volume deals with the aftermath of the Viltrumite War and offers a much needed change of pace, new character perspectives, a new colorist on the book, and even more pages from Cory Walker who started the series. This book deals with the character Bulletproof, Monster Girl, and Robot with some more intimate scenes with Mark and his loved ones. While a slower pace than the last book, it is still engaging and I can never get enough of the Doctor Doom-esque Dinosaurus and his machinations. Finally, the couple of volumes introduce some new and exciting status quo changes and a colorist change once more. These volumes include the best fight scene (IMO) thus far in the series. And that my friends, is saying something. So glad I got into this series and now that I'm up to date, the wait is going to be unbearable!

The Manhattan Projects Deluxe Edition HC vol. 2 10

Hickman is my favorite writer so I'm obviously a massive fan of this series. Let's not forget the other creators such as Nick Pitarra, Ryan Browne, and Jordie Bellaire who bring to life the madness of the geniuses left to their own devices. We see quite a few shocking developments occur in this volume making me question where the volume is headed but that's what makes great; it's so unpredictable. Hickman can weave some epic dialogue that forces you to pay attention to every line. Tons of fun.

Marvel

Captain America: White OHC 6

This is a series that I thought I'd never read, not due to the quality of the book but the fact that it had been so completely mired in delays. Literally years in the making, this series follows the same theme of the other color minis by introducing a character that deals with the loss of a loved while also exploring early adventures. Brought to you by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, this series stands right up there with their previous collaborations. Sale is amazingly talented and has one page in particular that does a classic Kirby fight scene in 9 panels. Pitch perfect and it tugs the heart strings, check it out!

Daredevil by Mark Waid OHC vol. 4 12

Dare I say this is the best Daredevil I have ever read?! Ok it's perfect comicbooking but I still love Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker every bit as much. This series is a perfect melding of the dark world of Daredevil with the character's early 60's swashbuckling and the combination provides roller coaster of a ride. In this particular volume we follow Matt dealing with his secret identity made public once more and the ensuing move to San Francisco. Plenty happens in these issues with further (and welcome) character development between Matt Murdock, Kristen McDuffie, and Foggie Nelson, some new/dusted off villains, and interactions and Easter eggs one would hope to find involving the Marvel universe. I cannot say enough about Chris Samnee who continually improves to the point where he is a master cartoonist. The colors pop thanks to both Javier Rodriguez (who also pencils some) and Matt Wilson. For those who say this is just a happy Matt Murdock, you are wrong; this run of Daredevil is so nuanced with depression and darkness just below the surface as a man shows no fear whilst dealing with his own demons. Also, you even get a prose piece by Bendis and Maleev that is GREAT. Doesn't skip a beat from their run earlier.

Uncanny X-Men OHC vol. 1 16

I for one like Bendis and I feel this volume of X-Men was mostly great with a few hiccups here and there because the plot slows down quite a bit at certain points. However, this new take on the X-Men is compelling and I love the evolution Scott Summers has taken as a character. This volume deals with Cyclops' team of X-Men (introducing some new mutants as well) and the growing pains they go through as a team stationed in a clever base. They confront SHIELD, sentinels, Dormammu, and a new and mysterious villain while also fighting among themselves thanks to faulty powers, self-loathing, and possible betrayals. Chris Bachalo does the lion share of the issues but Frazier Irving, Kris Anka, and Marco Rudy also contribute. I loved all of the art throughout and even liked the updated character designs. Gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised; this series brought back the drama of the X-Men.

Valiant

X-O Manowar Deluxe Edition HC vol. 1 14

I had only read one Valiant series before this, The Valiant, and absolutely adored it so I decided this universe would be next on my list to fill the void left by Invincible. Now, this was indeed very entertaining but it didn't quite reach the heights of The Valiant. I really liked the book but I felt conflicted on the main character and whether this character was someone I could root for; he's brash, at times arrogant, and bullish. Over the course of the series I gained respect for the character which I'm sure was supposed to happen. Does anyone know if this is the best Valiant has to offer? Just curious. Anyways, the art is very solid by Cary Nord, Lee Garbet, and Trevor Hairsine and it offers a consistent look to the book. Fun superhero action and I'd recommend it.

For this batch I read 108 issue for a running total of 185!

Best Book: Daredevil by Mark Waid OHC vol. 4

Mighty Member

Yay another bendis xmen fan! I think we might be the only 2 lol.

Manhattan Projects is a such a joy.

Waids run the best?? Pump your brakes, kid lol. I mean it's good, but c'mon. He's got some stiff comp.

As for xo, I liked that the character wasnt your typical hero of sorts. Part of what makes the run fresh for me. The quality of the run maintains at the least so I say go for volume 2 and armor hunters if so inclined. Harbinger and XO are my favorites from valiant, tho I haven't read anything past armor hunters in that universe yet.

Really want to get into invincible, but I wish the would've continued with the larger hc collections. Between that and walking dead I'd end up having 30 volumes on my shelf
    Last edited by awayne83; 03-07-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Yay another bendis xmen fan! I think we might be the only 2 lol.

Manhattan Projects is a such a joy.

Waids run the best?? Pump your brakes, kid lol. I mean it's good, but c'mon. He's got some stiff comp.

As for xo, I liked that the character wasnt your typical hero of sorts. Part of what makes the run fresh for me. The quality of the run maintains at the least so I say go for volume 2 and armor hunters if so inclined. Harbinger and XO are my favorites from valiant, tho I haven't read anything past armor hunters in that universe yet.

Really want to get into invincible, but I wish the would've continued with the larger hc collections. Between that and walking dead I'd end up having 30 volumes on my shelf
    Haha us Bendis fans are swerving on the haters! I'd say you're right though, it's lonely on the X-Men/Bendis hill.

Yes, Manhattan Projects great. It looks like you're a big Hickman fan so I'd be on the lookout for his other stuff like East of West (my favorite series and I think you've already said you read that), his Marvel work, Nightly News, Red Wing, Red Mass for Mars, and The Dying and the Dead (but unfortunately that's been delayed).

As for Daredevil, I LOVE Waid's run but I tapped the breaks saying I love the other seminal runs as well. For me, no one will ever be able to best Bendis, Brubaker, and Miller but Waid certainly holds his own.

Sounds like we are on a similar path. I'm definitely going to pick up the second deluxe of X-O (I feel like I came off harsh but I truly did like it) but I'm going by a reading order on Reddit for the entire universe. I had read some of the Bloodshot and Rai stuff, both of which I loved. You should check out Rai for sure when that deluxe comes out. Next up for the Valiant universe is the Bloodshot deluxe, the Harbinger deluxe (you have me excited now), and the Harbinger Wars deluxe. Read those I assume?

If you liked X-O and/or the freshness of the Valiant universe you HAVE to give Invincible a try. If you just commit to getting the 10 ultimate collections it could save some space and they look nice on the shelf. And once you catch up you won't have to buy another for a year or so haha. Check out the first volume and see if it catches your fancy!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Haha us Bendis fans are swerving on the haters! I'd say you're right though, it's lonely on the X-Men/Bendis hill.

Yes, Manhattan Projects great. It looks like you're a big Hickman fan so I'd be on the lookout for his other stuff like East of West (my favorite series and I think you've already said you read that), his Marvel work, Nightly News, Red Wing, Red Mass for Mars, and The Dying and the Dead (but unfortunately that's been delayed).

As for Daredevil, I LOVE Waid's run but I tapped the breaks saying I love the other seminal runs as well. For me, no one will ever be able to best Bendis, Brubaker, and Miller but Waid certainly holds his own.

Sounds like we are on a similar path. I'm definitely going to pick up the second deluxe of X-O (I feel like I came off harsh but I truly did like it) but I'm going by a reading order on Reddit for the entire universe. I had read some of the Bloodshot and Rai stuff, both of which I loved. You should check out Rai for sure when that deluxe comes out. Next up for the Valiant universe is the Bloodshot deluxe, the Harbinger deluxe (you have me excited now), and the Harbinger Wars deluxe. Read those I assume?

If you liked X-O and/or the freshness of the Valiant universe you HAVE to give Invincible a try. If you just commit to getting the 10 ultimate collections it could save some space and they look nice on the shelf. And once you catch up you won't have to buy another for a year or so haha. Check out the first volume and see if it catches your fancy!
    Yeah I like a lot of hickmans stuff. Didn't care for nightly news tho. I've been meaning to track down some of those other early independent works he did.

Harbinger is good...takes a little bit to get going tho. Rai is definitely on my list, along with book of death. Might pass on ivar tho as I was lukewarm to A&A. I didn't read bloodshot, though it crosses over with harbinger and a&a so I got a feel for it then. I'm gonna give reborn a try since lemire is on it once it's collected. Oh and just a heads up on the harbinger wars stuff, most of the same scenes get repeated in the main event as well as the individual series. I wouldn't buy the event hc if you plan on collecting both series as it's mostly overkill. Just get the trade if you have to, but even it's not really necessary. Spend that money on something else.

Yeah I like a lot of hickmans stuff. Didn't care for nightly news tho. I've been meaning to track down some of those other early independent works he did.

Harbinger is good...takes a little bit to get going tho. Rai is definitely on my list, along with book of death. Might pass on ivar tho as I was lukewarm to A&A. I didn't read bloodshot, though it crosses over with harbinger and a&a so I got a feel for it then. I'm gonna give reborn a try since lemire is on it once it's collected. Oh and just a heads up on the harbinger wars stuff, most of the same scenes get repeated in the main event as well as the individual series. I wouldn't buy the event hc if you plan on collecting both series as it's mostly overkill. Just get the trade if you have to, but even it's not really necessary. Spend that money on something else.
    So glad we can discuss Valiant on here, it doesn't get enough love! I have Harbinger, Bloodshot, and the Harbinger Wars on the way so I can't wait to sink my teeth into them. I ended up getting the deluxe of Harbinger Wars even though there's overlap. How is Harbinger Wars? And, if you've read them, how is the Shadowman stuff and the big Armor Hunters crossover? I read the first couple of both Bloodshot series and loved them. And Rai is still my favorite so I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    So glad we can discuss Valiant on here, it doesn't get enough love! I have Harbinger, Bloodshot, and the Harbinger Wars on the way so I can't wait to sink my teeth into them. I ended up getting the deluxe of Harbinger Wars even though there's overlap. How is Harbinger Wars? And, if you've read them, how is the Shadowman stuff and the big Armor Hunters crossover? I read the first couple of both Bloodshot series and loved them. And Rai is still my favorite so I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.
    I skipped shadowman as it didn't really appeal to me and I heard it was probably the weakest of the Valiant titles at the time. Armor Hunters is really entertaining, and it's essentially the 3rd hc for XO as it contains all the issues solicited for 3 plus the crossover issues. I really enjoyed that 2nd hc of harbinger, which sets up the imperium series. That's one I'm really looking forward to as well

I skipped shadowman as it didn't really appeal to me and I heard it was probably the weakest of the Valiant titles at the time. Armor Hunters is really entertaining, and it's essentially the 3rd hc for XO as it contains all the issues solicited for 3 plus the crossover issues. I really enjoyed that 2nd hc of harbinger, which sets up the imperium series. That's one I'm really looking forward to as well
    Interesting, I'll let you know what i think of it. I found Armor Hunters relatively cheap for $25 and figured it would be similar to the Harbinger Wars deluxe by having overlap. It will be interesting to see if Imperium, Eternal Warrior, and/or Ninjak get the deluxe treatments.

Incredible Member

The Maxx 1-8
    Ragnarok 1-6
    Fantastic Four 286-295
    The Last Galactus Story 55 pgs (2 issues)
    The Goon LE 450 pgs (20 issues)
    Spider-Man newspaper strips vol. 2 305 pgs (13 issues) I am jumping off this one here Romita left and the tone changed pretty much instantly.
    Complete Star Slammers 11 issues
    Uncle Scrooge Back to the Klondike & Only a Poor Old Man
    Fear Agent 1-15
    Tales of the Fear Agent 138 pgs (6 issues)
    The Eternaut 350 pgs (16 issues)
    Fear Agent 17-32
    Tales of the Fear Agent 96 pgs (4 issues)
    Superior Spiderman vol 1 8 issues
    The Goon LE 2 416 pgs (18 issues)
    Superior Foes Omni 17 issues
    Superior Spiderman Vol 2 11 issues
    Superior Spiderman Vol 3 17 issues

Total: 200
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Fantastic Member

Hit 500 reading through Invincible. I'm starting issue 91 after posting this. Total list is on Page 1 on this thread.

After this run is wrapped up, as a palette cleaner Son of The Gun and Freddie & Me are next. Afterwards, does the Kirkman love fest continue with The Walking Dead or is it time to start the Uncanny X-Men run? Savage Dragon, maybe? First world problems, right?

All-New Member

All New X-Men OHC v.1 (10) I know not everyone is a fan of the premise of this book, but I’m rather enjoying it. Plus I like that it gives Kitty an important role.

Black Canary v. 1 (7) This is such an unusual take on the character and it did take me a while to warm up to it. At times I feel it’s a little too “hip and different” but overall I’m enjoying it.

DC Comics Bombshells v.1 (6) I like this book a lot. The 1940s take on some of the characters is quite interesting. I realize that this was a digital first title, so I understand that’s why it feels a bit choppy at places. While I usually avoid alternative takes on characters, I’m glad I gave this a shot.

GI Joe the Complete Collection v. 2 (12) I never read the comic growing up, despite watching the show. It’s nice getting more focus on some of the earlier Joes. The added notes at the end of issues are very interesting. It’s also amazing to remember that this title was almost completely written by one writer.

Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire (20) This was one of my favorite runs for the character, and a big improvement over the early N52 issues. I would put this behind Grell’s run in terms of overall quality. I wasn’t too taken with the art. I’m getting tired of limited color use and a more minimalist style.

Harley Quinn and Power Girl (6) Having not read the volume of Harley Quinn that set this story up, I appreciate the introduction to this story. What a fun but completely odd book this was.

Inhuman OHC (15) I haven’t had a lot of exposure to the Inhumans before. I thought this did a good job of introducing the characters and back-story. While there were a few X-Men like beets, I like the idea of more adult characters developing powers and how that affects their lives. I’m more interested to see where the characters go in the ALAD Marvel.

Martian Manhunter v.1 (6) I enjoyed the characters (avoiding spoilers) but I’m not sure I get the whole plot or when this is supposed to be taking place. I feel it’s definitely better use of the character then we had so far in the N52.

Superior Spider-Man OHC v.2 (11) I’m still enjoying this different twist on the story. Knowing there is an end in sight helps though because I really miss Peter.

X-Men: Battle of the Atom (10) While mostly an excuse to have a ton of characters on the page at once (4 Icemans/men) I thought it was a fun story. It introduces a few characters which I feel certain will disappear fairly quickly, but there is at least change that comes from the story.

Part VI Total: 103
    Total: 916

Question: Better ridiculous mustache: Vartox or Future Colossus?

Fantastic Member

Freddie & Me was pretty good. I'm becoming more and more of the OGN format. The story flows at a natural pace as opposed collected issues of most comics. Son Of The Gun was decent. Love the art. Picked up Complete PuniSher Max Vol. 1. Ehhhhh. Born was strong. The first story of the series was decent but was stretched out. Then the second, Irish Kitchen....ugh. I've the the series in part before and never made it to issue 13. I don't know why, when Garth Ennis taps his Irish roots I just lose interest. I started Terry Moore's Echo. I'll hit 600 when it's finished.

Constantine marathon! Vol 3 and 4 came late so I left them for later, I was starting the whole series in the middle anyway. So:

Hellblazer v1, v2, v9, v10, v11, v12 72
    I was afraid a it of the Delano stories but I really liked them, except a few bullshit issues (nightmare on the beach after the whole Nergal thing). Early Vertigo so kinda what I expected. Whn Delano returned for an issue after Ennis I wasn't too excited but I really liked that one. The Horrorist story was a bit "ehh...maybe" but David Lloyd's art was really cool.
    Eddie Campbell's four issue story was weird. It made sense by the end but the whole thing just left me cold, same I got from his Bacchus. Maybe Campbell's writing is not for me? I've put down Bacchus after a few issues, never started Alec.
    Jenkis started a bit cold as well with the Australian story but I liked it more than Campbell's and after he went back to England it just got better and better. Philips' art is awesome as always. Unfortunately Warren Pleece wasn't the best follow up.
    The 5 issues Ennis story after that started slow but by the end it didn't pull any punches. Unfortunately got ruined by subpar art.

Marvels project 8
    Really enjoyed this one, quite a quick read, great art. Always good to see obscure pulp heroes. Also Brubaker proved to me he can write a sort of team book too.
    I wish someone would give him loads of money and free reign to write a Shadow series (with Philips, Epting or Wilfredo Torres on art).

thats: 80
    Total: 362

Fantastic Member

not in the mood for binge reading lately, so it's mostly singles again

A Train Called Love #6
    Sheriff of Babylon #4
    The Discipline #1
    Tokyo Ghost #1-5
    Giant Days #12
    Past the Last Mountain #3
    No Mercy #7-8
    The Violent #1-2
    Vision #5
    Rocket Raccoon and Groot #3
    Faith #1-2
    Dollhouse - Epitaphs (6 issues)
    Snow Blind #4
    King's Road #2
    The Haunted Mansion #1
    The House of Montresor #1-2
    The Witchfinder General #1-2
    Unfollow #1-5
    Kennel Block Blues #2
    The Machines #1
    Tyson Hesse's Diesel#1-4
    The Little Red Fish #1-2

quite enjoyed Tokyo Ghost, Unfollow, Diesel and... The Witchfinder General

total (March): 44
    February: 127
    January: 151
    total for the year: 322

Mighty Member

update:

didn't get around to reading much this week...

Black Science HC v1 (16) - After getting over my tantrum of the build quality i finally cracked it open. Previously reading the 1st two trades, i was eager to get into the third arc. Man, this group has been through the wringer. I don't remember the guy from Quantum Leap or the group from Sliders having it this rough during their time traveling escapades lol. Scalera's art was brilliant, as expected.

255 + 16 = 271 for the year