Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Maybe I'm just easy to please with well thought out pulp references.
    Also, the Batman crossover is so much better than it has any right to be. Actually touching, I've expected something cynical and deconstructed but no, it's a true Batman story (and I'm sooo shipping him and Jakita, I'm not even ashamed.)
    Yeah that was a fantastic cross over. The Authority one I wasn't too fussed with but the Batman one was very good.

From 21 June to 12 July (for complete total see my post on page 4):

Note: for ease of counting, I counted the four "issues" composing the Deadpool #13 crossover (Deadpool 13, Daredevil 7.1, Power Man and Iron Fist 4.1, Deadpool 13.1; only purchasable by buying Deadpool 13) as four separate issues, each in their own series, rather than need to separate Deadpool 13 from the rest, saying "counts as 4".

Archangel (1996): one-shot
    Black Widow (2016): 4
    Civil War II: Choosing Sides (2016): 1
    Civil War II: Ulysses Infinite Comic (2016): 1-2
    Civil War II: X-Men (2016): 2
    Daredevil (2015): 8, 7.1
    Deadpool (2015): 13-14, 13.1
    Deadpool v. Gambit (2016): 1-2
    Doctor Strange (2015): 9
    Extraordinary X-Men (2015): 11
    Havok and Wolverine: Meltdown (1988): 2-4
    Mighty Thor (2015): 8
    New Avengers (2015): 12
    Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat (2015): 7
    Power Man and Iron Fist (2016): 4.1
    Rocket Raccoon and Groot (2015): 6
    Scarlet Witch (2015): 7-8
    Silver Surfer (2016): 5
    Spider-Woman (2015): 8
    Star-Lord (2015): 8
    Thor (1966): 352-355, 357-359
    Thor (2014): 1-8, Annual 1
    Ultimates (2015): 8
    Uncanny Avengers (2015, 2 of 2): 10
    Uncanny Inhumans (2015): 11
    Uncanny X-Men (1963; formerly "X-Men"): 244-247, 329-332
    Uncanny X-Men (2016): 9
    Vote Loki (2016): 2
    Web Warriors (2015): 8
    Wolverine (1988): 11-16, 87-90
    Wolverine: Rahne of Terra (1991): Original graphic novel (counts as three)
    X-Men (1991): 50-52
    X-Men Unlimited (1993): 10
    X-Men vs. Brood (1996): 1-2

Total (this period): 77
    Total (overall): 793
    Goal: 1583
    Last edited by Taral-DLOS; 07-12-2016 at 05:21 AM.

Fantastic Member

Wrapped up the Geoff Johns run of Green Lantern. Started great. Collapsed under the weight of the rainbow mythology in volume 2. Became co-dependent on the ring crap for the first half of the third volume. The New 52 issues were a breath of fresh air and narrowed its focus and pffffft more ring drama. Good lord.

I like Baz's GL outfit but it was weird that it was the first thing the ring put him in as opposed to the default uniform at first. Plus, doesn't having the whole distinguishing mark in the form of an exposed glowing tattoo defeat the purpose of a mask?

Would I recommend this to somebody on the street who liked the live or animated films? Nope. To a Green Lantern fan? Maybe.

What? Planetary "hate".

It's one of my favorites, and something I re-read at least once a year.

I understand different strokes for different folks, but personally I find it amazing.

All-New Member

Totally agree. I think Planetary is one of the stand-out series of all-time in terms of both writing and art. I found the issue in which the 4 kill off the Planetary World versions of Superman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman really powerful and upsetting, and still do when I think about it. And the Ellis/Hitch issues of the Authority weren't far behind in term of quality and entertainment.

It's not hate it just doesn't live up to expectations and part of that is that I read it so soon after LoEG. It is a very good story over all but it just felt light to me. I don't think that anyone here has said they hate it, or even "hate" it.

Fantastic Member

Finished Essential Avengers 6. It was my palette cleanser for the 1Kin15. It needed to go back on the shelf after a year constantly on the bottom of stacks.

Generation Hope - 17 Issues

Thought I'd use my MU account to catch up with some series that I had planned to buy in trade but never got around to. First off was Generation Hope. I had followed the Hope story from Messiah Complex (which I loved) through the Cable book back when they were published but around the end of the Cable series was around the time I was dropping single issues for trades. This was a book that i was curious about but never saw the value in buying so I'm glad I got to read it on MU.

Over all it is a decent story and the work done by McKelvie with this character and the team is very good. I did notice a drop off in the writing towards the end and only later realised it was due to a change in writer. The story is a general teen hero book, the coming together and learning (training) aspects; the whole growth arc. It had some very good parts, the visit to the museum the initial arc with Kenji and the overall interaction of the kids and the school was good. I didn't really connect with any of the kids as I did when I read the likes of Generation X and this is probably because I am a fair bit older now but it was til enjoyable with some very good parts. The art was hit and miss there were a few different artists on board and some did very good work and others not so much. Over all I'd give it a solid 6 maybe a 6.5. I'm glad I read it on MU though.

Red Wolf - 2 Issues
    Two issues in and two very different ones at that. I'm looking forward to how this all plays out. The only issue I have is that he adjusted to the new world a little too easily but over all decent work.

The Wake - 10 issues
    Holy crap.

Not even an issue in I knew I was going to love this book. I've only read a couple of the Snyder Batman books but now I am even more determined to read more. This is the right kind of writer for me, his style flows so well and is perfect for the comics medium and with Murphy on the art this made for one of the most beautiful books I've read in a long time. Not in the sense of a "pretty picture" but as a form of art. This was sublime.

The story itself is epic, it is one that could spin off dozens of other books and they would be great books, Murphy and Snyder have created a huge world here to explore and i hope one day we get to see more of it. This tale was split in two and had a third spread over the two chapters, without wanting to spoil it the book is about a mysterious object that has been found and the short and long term ramifications of the find. Buy this book!

This week: 29
    Total: 443

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    The Wake - 10 issues
    Holy crap.

Not even an issue in I knew I was going to love this book. I've only read a couple of the Snyder Batman books but now I am even more determined to read more. This is the right kind of writer for me, his style flows so well and is perfect for the comics medium and with Murphy on the art this made for one of the most beautiful books I've read in a long time. Not in the sense of a "pretty picture" but as a form of art. This was sublime.

The story itself is epic, it is one that could spin off dozens of other books and they would be great books, Murphy and Snyder have created a huge world here to explore and i hope one day we get to see more of it. This tale was split in two and had a third spread over the two chapters, without wanting to spoil it the book is about a mysterious object that has been found and the short and long term ramifications of the find. Buy this book!
    I remember this story catching some flack when it was coming out monthly because to that switch midway, and for the ending as well. I personally thought it made it more interesting, and also thought it ended well enough. And Murphy on anything is a must!

As for me:

The Killing Joke HC (2)

Batman Eternal TP 1-3 (52) - Considering the scope and how many hands were involved, this was a massive success. I thoroughly enjoyed this all the way through. It was a little disjointed here and there, but considering it lasted for a year and effected so many titles you couldn't really ask for much more.

787 + 54 = 841 for the year.

Green Lantern Volume 3 #1-9: Solid superhero stories with terrific art and a sense of character, even if the bad guys aren't that memorable.

JLA #115-119: Solid bridge between Identity Crisis and Infinite Crisis with an impressive challenge, and stakes.

Wonder Woman #215-219, 221-226:
    Good take on Wonder Woman. The payoff gets impressive.

Peanuts Friends Forever special: Cute one-off with some nice short stories, and beautifully recolored Schultz classics.

The Infinity Gauntlet #1-6: Maybe it's that I read this story after rereading Starlin's runs on Captain Marvel, Warlock and Silver Surfer, but it's better than I remember, exploring the concept of ultimate power in the wrong hands.

Uber #1-27, 0, FCBD, Special:
    Sometimes it's a bit padded, but it's an interesting alternate history project, as World War II is continued through super-powers.

Fables #1-18: Terrific cast and sense of worldbuilding, with a nice combination of longer stories that build the main narrative, and shorter flashbacks that give us new fables.

Teen Titans/ Young Justice: Graduation Day #1-3, Titans Outsiders Secret Files: Mainly set-up to Winick's Outsiders and Johns's Teen Titans.

Villains United #1-6: Features an interesting team, and a memorable take on the DCU's bad guys.

Countdown to Infinite Crisis (3 Issues Worth): Solid set-up to DC's big event through the perspective of a doomed second-stringer.

Black Widow (Richard Morgan/ Bill Sienkiewicz/ Goran Palov) #1-6:
    Starts as a generic spy story, and ends rather suddenly, but there are some impressive sequences/ revelations.

Teen Titans #1-12, 1/2:
    I like the first arc with Deathstroke. There's a good sense of what makes the characters tic.

Crisis on Infinite Earths #1-12: Impressive epic with beautiful art by George Perez. A bit diminished by the focus on characters who aren't as impressive as the icons of the DCU, although some of the new guys are decent. Has a lot of great moments. Very dense.

And some Spider-Man....

Sensational Spider-Man #7-10
    Superior Spider-Man #11-16

Total So Far: 1810

Best of the Batch: The Infinity Gauntlet
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I know i can't make it to 1000 since this is what i read from the start of 2016... it's not much... but adding my list to this thread will certainly make me read more comics so i add my first list: (i don't have the time to calculate how many single issues books like Batman Earth One have cause they are direct to HC so i add them as 1 issue...)

Batman Zero Year - Secret City vol. 4 HC # 5 issues
    Batman Zero Year - Dark City vol. 5 HC # 8 issues
    Batman Graveyard Shift vol. 6 HC # 5 issues
    Batman Eternal vol. 1-2-3 TPBs # 52 issues
    Batman Death by Design HC # 1 issue
    Nightwing TPB New 52 vol. 4-5 12 issues
    Street Fighter V FCBDS # 1 issue
    Rom The Space Knight FCBDS # 1 issue
    Civil War II FCBDS # 1 issue
    Batman Earth One vol. 2 HC # 1 issue
    All Star Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder HC (reread) # 9 issues
    Transformers IDW Collection vol. 1-2 HCs # 29 issues
    Bloodshot vol. 1 TPB # 4 issues
    Trinity War HC # 12 issues
    Forever Evil TPB # 7 issues
    Pinocchio The Vampire Slayer vol. 1 TPB 1 issues

Total: 147 issues
    Last edited by Batarang; 07-17-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Spectacular Member

Week 28

Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 3 (40)
    Avengers Epic Collection 16 Under Siege (20)

Total for the week: 60
    Total for the year: 1165

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I remember this story catching some flack when it was coming out monthly because to that switch midway, and for the ending as well. I personally thought it made it more interesting, and also thought it ended well enough. And Murphy on anything is a must!

As for me:

The Killing Joke HC (2)

Batman Eternal TP 1-3 (52) - Considering the scope and how many hands were involved, this was a massive success. I thoroughly enjoyed this all the way through. It was a little disjointed here and there, but considering it lasted for a year and effected so many titles you couldn't really ask for much more.

787 + 54 = 841 for the year.
    I try and avoid any news when comics are coming out as all they do is spoil the books so I missed everything about this book. I actually liked the jump as it allowed the first half to build the world and the second to pay off with some real development of the world.

I read the Killing Joke the other week and loved it.

What is Batman Eternal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

The Infinity Gauntlet #1-6: Maybe it's that I read this story after rereading Starlin's runs on Captain Marvel, Warlock and Silver Surfer, but it's better than I remember, exploring the concept of ultimate power in the wrong hands.

Uber #1-27, 0, FCBD, Special:
    Sometimes it's a bit padded, but it's an interesting alternate history project, as World War II is continued through super-powers.

Best of the Batch: The Infinity Gauntlet
    I really want to read Infinity Gauntlet, can it be read as a standalone book?

Uber I had high hopes for but it just didn't do it for me so I gave up after the first trade. IS the 27 issue block you read the entire story?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I try and avoid any news when comics are coming out as all they do is spoil the books so I missed everything about this book. I actually liked the jump as it allowed the first half to build the world and the second to pay off with some real development of the world.

I read the Killing Joke the other week and loved it.

What is Batman Eternal?
    Eternal was the year long "mega" event that involved/affected most of the prominent bat-characters. Many twists and turns, and responisble for the new status quo surrounding Gotham as a whole moving forward in the related titles. One of the better Bat-stories I've read in a while. Although, i've recently figured out i enjoy Batman more when he's not necessarily the main focus, since his supporting cast is arguably the best in comics.