Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    There are a lot of very generic looking people in the early part of TWD and it can be hard to differentiate them especially as the book is in black and white. Thankfully this isn't as bad later on. I am still really enjoying the book and considering I'm a solid 144 issue in that is impressive.
    Initially, the shift from Tony Moore to Charlie Adlard was jarring to me. But, now, I can't see anybody else handling The Walking Dead but Adlard.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    It's hard to say. The last time I read it is when the original minis were published waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1989 and I was in middle school. The memory left behind was that it was funny, but it wasn't as remembered. But, it was (kinda?) funny. But, it's not where my sense of humor, or lack thereof, is currently is at. Still, I love the idea of Damage Control. It does get wonky in the third 1989 mini-series. The current Damage Control stuff from World War Hulk was better written by a seasoned Dwayne McDuffie.

It's, unfortunately, going on my for sale pile.
    thanks for the opinion, I think I know what you mean wen you say it's not where your sense of humor is now. I can relate to that. Probably not gonna pick this up.

Fantastic Member

Anytime. The same thing happened to me a few years ago when pruning the single issues and I came across nearly a full run of Wonder Man. I recalled liking the series a lot when it came out and WTF did I read..... they were immediately sold after re-reading the second issue except for the Galactic Storm issues to keep the that crossover intact.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    Anytime. The same thing happened to me a few years ago when pruning the single issues and I came across nearly a full run of Wonder Man. I recalled liking the series a lot when it came out and WTF did I read..... they were immediately sold after re-reading the second issue except for the Galactic Storm issues to keep the that crossover intact.
    Hahaha. This review though makes me want to pick up Wonder Man and see for myself what lead to that reaction!

Amazing Member

Airboy - 4
    Amalgam Age of Comics: The DC\Marvel Collections - 12
    American Splendor: Another Day - 4
    Batgirl: #35-40 - 6
    Batman: #48-52 - 5
    Batman: Rebirth; #1-2 - 3
    Batman: The Doom that Came to Gotham - 3
    Best of Milligan and McCarthy - 7
    Black Science: Beginner's Guide to Entropy - 16
    B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs Vol. 1 - 16
    Citizen Jack: #3-6 - 4
    Crécy - 1
    Daredevil by Miller and Janson, Complete Collections vol. 1-3 - 38
    Dark Knight: Last Crusade - 1
    Dark Knight: Master Race: #2-5 - 4
    DC One Million (Main TPB plus Adventures of Superman, Green Lantern and Shadow of the Bat) - 7
    Defenders: Indefensible - 5
    Doctor Strange: The Oath - 5
    Doctor Strange Vol. 1 - 6
    Doom Patrol, Book One - 16
    Exiles: #1-11 - 11
    Ex Machina, Books 1-5 - 54
    Fantastic Four: Unstable Molecules - 5
    Grayson Vol. 1-2 - 10
    Grizzlyshark: #1 - 1
    Hellboy: Library Edition Vol. 2-3 - 30
    Howard the Duck Vol. 1 - 7
    I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League! - 6
    I Hate Fairyland: #4-5 - 2
    JLA: #7 - 1
    Justice League - #48-50 + Darkseid War Special - 4
    Justice League 3001: #8-12 - 5
    Kaptara: Fear Not, Tiny Alien - 5
    Klaus: #3-6 - 4
    Locke and Key: Vol. 1 - 6
    Magneto: #1-6 - 6
    Mesmo Delivery - 1
    Ministry of Space - 3
    Nameless - 6
    Oh, Killstrike - 4
    Pencil Head: #1-5 - 5
    Punisher by Garth Ennis: Complete Collection vol. 1 - 16
    The Rattler - 1
    Rumble: #1-10 - 10
    Secret Warriors: Complete Collection Vol. 2 - 13
    Space: Punisher TPB - 6
    Spider-Man: Fever - 3
    Starlight: #1-6 - 6
    Star Wars: Lando - 5
    Tokyo Ghost: #1-5 - 5
    Vision, Vol. 1 - 6
    We Stand on Guard - 6
    Wonder Woman (Azzarello): Vol. 1-3 - 19
    Wonder Woman: Earth One - 1
    Wonder Woman: Rebirth; #1 - 2

Total: 438

Incredible Member

The Maxx 1-8
    Ragnarok 1-6
    Fantastic Four 286-295
    The Last Galactus Story 55 pgs (2 issues) This NEEDS to be finished!
    The Goon LE 450 pgs (20 issues)
    Spider-Man newspaper strips vol. 2 305 pgs (13 issues) I am jumping off this one here Romita left and the tone changed pretty much instantly.
    Complete Star Slammers 11 issues
    Uncle Scrooge Back to the Klondike & Only a Poor Old Man
    Fear Agent 1-15
    Tales of the Fear Agent 138 pgs (6 issues)
    The Eternaut 350 pgs (16 issues)
    Fear Agent 17-32
    Tales of the Fear Agent 96 pgs (4 issues)
    Superior Spiderman vol 1 8 issues
    The Goon LE 2 416 pgs (18 issues)
    Superior Foes Omni 17 issues
    Superior Spiderman Vol 2 11 issues
    Superior Spiderman Vol 3 17 issues
    DD by Waid Vol 4 12 issues
    Hawkeye by Fraction Vol 1&2 24 issues
    Avengers by Busiek Vol 1 41 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 1 12 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 2 13 issues
    Deadpool Dracula's Gauntlet OHC 7 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 3 9 issues
    Avengers by Busiek Vol 2 44 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 4 11 issues
    Captain Britain Birth of a Legend OHC 330 pgs (14 issues)
    Iron Man by Busiek & Chen 36 issues
    Civil War 2 FCBD issue
    Captain America by Spencer FCBD issue
    Blacksad Somewhere Within the Shadows
    Untold Tales of Spider-Man Omni 33 issues
    Rocket Raccoon FCBD
    ROM FCBD
    Valiant FCBD
    Captain Britain Siege of Camelot OHC 331 pgs (14 issues) John Stokes artwork on the titular arc is awesome!
    DD by Waid Vol 5 9 issues I really liked how this wrapped up. It felt very satisfying to me.
    SHIELD Architects of Forever OHC 12 issues (6 x 2 reads) I read this through the first time and was just confused. Reread it, got it, and want the second arc finished and released OHC soon. Come on Marvel whats the hold up already!
    The Marvels Project OHC 8 issues
    Spider-Man by Stern Omni 52 issues
    Invaders Now OHC 5 issues
    Blacksad Arctic Nation
    Blacksad Red Soul
    Blacksad A Silent Hell
    Blacksad Amarillo
    East of West Vol 1 15 issues
    Avengers/Invaders 12 issues

Total: 593
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Silver Surfer #39-50: The bridge between 'Rebirth of Thanos' and "The Infinity Gauntlet." Solid space opera from Starlin, as the Surfer is pushed to some interesting challenges.

Parasyte Volumes 2-4 (21 Issues Worth)
    An interesting concept for a manga series that is well-realized. Switches moods effectively, as it's sometimes funny, sometimes creepy, and sometimes tragic.

Injustice Year 5 #1-28 (14 Issues Worth)
    It's still interesting to see the various DC heroes pushed to the limit, and the fight scenes are great, but it's taken a bit of a dip from the first few years. There's more of a sense that the characters are treading water.

The Wicked & The Divine #1-20:
    Excellent worldbuilding and mythology, with some inventive storybuilding and great characters.

Midnighter #1-7
    It starts with a solid time travel story by Ennis and Sprouse. That's followed by a oneoff that reimagines Midnighter & Apollo in a different setting, and a BKV comic told in reverse.

Batman: Eternal #27-52
    Generally satisfying Batman epic. The larger story has an interesting payoff, but the smaller stories are solid as well.

Green Lantern: Rebirth #1-6
    Impressive retcon for the Hal Jordan Green Lantern.

Catwoman #5-10, 12-24, Secret Files

The rest of the acclaimed portions of Brubaker's run. He does the Born Again style tragedy pretty well, as a nasty villain tries to hurt Selina as much as possible. What elevates the run is the way he deals with the aftermath.

Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade
    Solid prelude to one of the best comics ever.

Detective Comics #398-399, 403-407/ Batman #221-222, 224-227, 229-231
    The tail end of the silver age has great mood, although some of the stories are rather hokey, especially with death-traps and contemporary issues in the late 60s/ early 70s. The focus is primarily on new enemies. Bruce Wayne doesn't have many subplots to speak of, although Batgirl and Robin do.

And some Spider-Man...
    Superior Spider-Man #1-10
    Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #98-100

Total So Far: 1,676

Best of the Batch: Superior Spider-Man
    So far, a fun series about what happens when Spider-Man's power is in the wrong hands, and how the world reacts to that.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

08 -The Graveyard Book v 2 -- I love P. Craig Russell. Gorgeous art.
    07 -Fairest v 5
    04 -Tribes of Kai -- Lovely art of cat men, but pretty generic fantasy story.
    05 -East of West v 5 All These Secrets
    06 -October Faction v 1 -- Murky art, standard family of monster hunters.
    06 -October Faction v 2
    08 -Children of the Sea v 2 -- First manga I've read since I was a kid ... a LONG time ago. Seems slow compared to American comics, but some interesting techniques to create mood. The watercolors and sea animals are beautiful.

09 -Children of the Sea v 3
    04 -Battle Pug v 4 -- What a fun series.
    03 -Barracuda v 1 Slaves -- I think these are European. A nicely drawn pirate story.
    03 -Baraccuda v 2 Scars
    04 -Insufferable v 2 Plays around with the superhero tropes, wrapping them in family relationships. The leads aren't really likeable, but it's an interesting read.

22 -Goon Library v 1 -- first time reading The Goon ... I don't think I'm the target audience.

84 for June
    464 Total

I'm a little behind on the yearly total, but I did meet the monthly goal.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

A couple more books from the backlog down:

Postal 4 issues
    I love the idea behind this (a town full of kinda reformed criminals) and it was executed very well. A good introduction to the place, how it works and to the story hooks that will play out both short and long term. All in all a good series that I will carry on buying.

Planetary 31 issues
    I read the omnibus that had the preview and the crossover issues. Finally cracked open the omnibus that I had sitting on my shelf and gave this a go. I knew a little about it and the premise but not enough that the book itself was spoilt. I
    Overall I liked it but I wasn't blown away and I think this was due to a couple of things. Firstly I was reading this just after reading the LoEG Century book and there is a great deal of familiarity between the two. Not so much overlap in story and concept, they just feel very similar. Which compounded the second issue I had. As much as I appreciate and respect the done in one stories that Ellis has mastered I felt that they were not right for this book. The initial stories and the over all story needed more space to breath. They could have done with a bit more depth and exploration. Over all it was a solid book, but probably not one I'll reread.

Sex Vol 1&2 14 issues

The first book was fantastic the second not so much, I'll pick up the third and see how it goes from there.

The Activity vol 1&2 11 issues

Pretty decent book, nice art and story. Not blown away but still enjoyable.

This week: 60 issues
    Total: 414

Mighty Member

A couple more books from the backlog down:

Planetary 31 issues
    I read the omnibus that had the preview and the crossover issues. Finally cracked open the omnibus that I had sitting on my shelf and gave this a go. I knew a little about it and the premise but not enough that the book itself was spoilt. I
    Overall I liked it but I wasn't blown away and I think this was due to a couple of things. Firstly I was reading this just after reading the LoEG Century book and there is a great deal of familiarity between the two. Not so much overlap in story and concept, they just feel very similar. Which compounded the second issue I had. As much as I appreciate and respect the done in one stories that Ellis has mastered I felt that they were not right for this book. The initial stories and the over all story needed more space to breath. They could have done with a bit more depth and exploration. Over all it was a solid book, but probably not one I'll reread.

Total: 414
    Planetary was the first omnibus i ever bought. I enjoyed it, but can't help to think it's slightly overrated.

Spectacular Member

Week 27

Doctor Strange Strange Tales TPB (10)

Total for the week: 10
    Total for the year: 1105

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Planetary was the first omnibus i ever bought. I enjoyed it, but can't help to think it's slightly overrated.
    I think it hasn't aged well. For the time it must have been pretty amazing but when you compare it with some of the richer books that have come out over the last few years it does lack some what in comparison.

I think it hasn't aged well. For the time it must have been pretty amazing but when you compare it with some of the richer books that have come out over the last few years it does lack some what in comparison.
    I can't really compare it to anything other than loeg that has its roots soo deeply in pulp and classic sci fi and has the same quality as those two books. Also I have this thing that while loeg exhausts it's source materials planetary on he other hand used them to ignite the imagination so don't necessarily wants go in depth. Both works for me since bother are in my all time favourite top 10.
    Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I can't really compare it to anything other than loeg that has its roots soo deeply in pulp and classic sci fi and has the same quality as those two books. Also I have this thing that while loeg exhausts it's source materials planetary on he other hand used them to ignite the imagination so don't necessarily wants go in depth. Both works for me since bother are in my all time favourite top 10.
    Just my 2 cents.
    I think for me coming so soon on the heels of LoEG it just felt like a light version of that.

I think for me coming so soon on the heels of LoEG it just felt like a light version of that.
    Maybe I'm just easy to please with well thought out pulp references.
    Also, the Batman crossover is so much better than it has any right to be. Actually touching, I've expected something cynical and deconstructed but no, it's a true Batman story (and I'm sooo shipping him and Jakita, I'm not even ashamed.)