Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Nailbiter volumes 1-4 put me at 911. Home stretch!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    Hulk (2007) 7-9. 3 issues
    Sub-Mariner (2008) 1-6. 6 issues
    Iron man: Director of shield 18-32. 15 issues
    Iron man: director of shield annual 1. 1 issue

Deadpool (2015) #1. 1 issue
    Howling commandos of shield (2015) #1. 1 issue

Thor (2007) 7-12. 6 issues
    Nova (2007) 1-3. 3 issues

Total: 592

Finally i'm reading to jump into Annihilation Conquest. I loved Annihilation and i stopped to go through Civil War and a bunch of other series. The only minor thing i'm not a fan of is the issue covers for Annihilation and Conquest. The art inside is great, but the covers are a dark photo realistic type of artwork.

Those first 3 issues of Nova were great. He says what everyone is thinking about how ridiculous Tony Stark is acting during the whole registration act.

The Hulk series is good, but why is the Hulk stupid again? He talked normal during WWH and now he's back to caveman talk. Hopefully that gets explained later.

its a shame that Howling Commandos of Shield got cancelled. That first issue was a lot of fun.
    Man i thought the covers were the best part. I read somewhere they went out and recruited relatively unknown artists from like graphic design or something another to go for that sort of feel and i thought they knocked it out of the park. That Thanos/Drax cover from annihilation...one of my all time faves.

Mighty Member

Update:

Wasteland HC v2 (12) - only about 40% through, but this already is one of the best post-apocalyptic stories i've read. The "walking the dust" prose shorts included at the end of each volume really help to expand the world Johnston already does a great job of doing in the regular issues.

All New Xmen HC v2 (10) - life continues for the O5 in the present both pre and post BotA. Bendis revisits a classic (with a twist!) for the last arc.

Battle of the Atom HC (10) - i know this got a lot of crap because it was the "big" anniversary event, but in reality it was just an extended arc of bendis' xmen. When taken in this context, w/o the expectations of a blockbuster!!, i feel it's an entertaining read that introduced some time traveling counterparts we haven't seen the last of.

Scott Pilgrim HC v3. (~10) - This was the where i really started to see the movie and the books diverge. Interesting to see how the movie uses similar scenarios in different ways to essentially arrive at the same place without losing the charm of the source material.

483 + 42 = 525 for the year
    Last edited by awayne83; 05-07-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Animal Man Omnibus (27 issues) - An entertaining read overall, but I had a hard time enjoying large parts of this omnibus. The start of the run felt quite flat to me. And I felt those Crisis issues could've been left out, because those annoyed the heck out me. However the other issues mostly work very well. We really get to know Buddy and what makes him tick... the love for his family and a better world for current and future generations. I can only applaud that. However when we get to the last few issues, I don't know... it just felt very unsatisfying.

An Olympic Dream: The Story of Samia Yusuf Omar (~7 issues) - Interesting read about a subject that is now more relevant than ever: refugees. In this book represented by Somali Olympian Sami Yusuf Omar... she wants to keep on running, and only that. After her participation in the 2008 Olympics of Beijing she wants to make sure she can also participate in the London 2012 Olympics. But given that she lives in Somalia, the circumstances are not quite optimal, to say the least. She hears that she would have better chances to train in Italy, or perhaps in Switzerland and thus decides to take the long trip as a refugee from Mogadishu, via Ethiopia, Sudan and Libya to finally cross the Mediterranean Sea to Italy.

The story is made special by the fact that even an Olympian is desperate enough to embark on a journey to Europe to flee the horrible life in her home country. However millions of people undertake this journey in search of a better life, but many die along the way or are sent back. Europe doesn't really know what to do either...

Anyway, not turn to this political I thought the story had a lot in it, but Kleist, unlike his book The Boxer for example, didn't really make me have a connection with the main character, Samia. Which is a shame since there is so much dramatic potential. However instead this felt a little flat.

Black Road #1 (1 issue) - Great start to his new ongoing series written by Brian Wood. I got a real Northlanders feeling about this! I have the next couple of single issues pre-ordered as I'm very curious to see where the black road will be taking us!

Criminal 10th anniversary edition (~3 issues) - Nice one shot, though not as good as the longer form criminal mini-series. But a more than enjoyable read by power duo Brubaker/Phillips.

May total: 38

Total for 2016: 429

Spectacular Member

Week 18

Black Panther (1977) 1-13 (13)
    Black Panther by Priest Complete Collection 3 (19)
    Captain America Epic Collection 22 Man Without a Country (15)
    Corto Maltese Fable de Venise (3)

Total for the week: 50
    Total for the year: 846

Walt Disney Comics & Stories 730-731. 2 issues

Annihilation Conquest: Prologue, Quasar 1-4, Star Lord 1-4, Wraith 1-4, Nova 4-12, and the main series 1-6. 33 issues

TMNT ongoing #57. 1 issues

Marvel Two in One (1974) #4 & #5. 2 issues

Franklin Richards Son of a Genius and Everybody Loves Franklin. 2 issues

Deadpool vs Thanos 1-4. 4 issues

Total: 636
    Last edited by Mormegil; 05-09-2016 at 12:32 PM.

latest:
    Locke & Key master ed. v2 12
    This book continues to be one of my current favourites and I'm not really a horror fan but I think this is more of a dark urban fantasy thing which I'm absolutely a fan of. Love the cast, love the plot love the art. I just love everything about this series and can't wait for vol 3.
    Busiek Avengers omnibus v1 8
    Well, I tried. I had a bit of a rant about this in the Latest classic thread but to sum it up: this was my 2nd go at the omni and it just didn't click. I gave up during Forever and donno if ever gonna pick it up again. It's just not for me.
    DMZ v1-2 12
    Solid series, nice art. The colours are a bit too dark but that's a pringint problem I would say. Looking forward reading further volumes. Only wish it would concentrate just a bit more on the characters than on the politics.
    Ms Marvel ohc v2 11
    My superhero crush. I just love everything about Kamala and her series. It's just cute, fun, ernest and all around a pleasant read. Can't wait for the next volume to see where the series goes after the UNIVERSE CHANGING EVENT!!!!
    Daredevil - A touch of typhoid Epic 19
    The most controversial DD run ever. Either you love it or hate it and consider it the biggest pile of garbage ever published. Well, I think it's good enough. Not perfect but has it's moments and I think Nocenti gets her point through if sometimes a bit clumsily.
    Romita's art worked for me, it's not as lazy as his recent stuff but definitely his blocky style.
    Wicked+Divine v1 11
    Surprisingly I really like this series. McKelvie's art is not my favourite but good enough and the concept is interesting and the story moves with good pace. The end cliffhanger is a real jerk move, I want the next volume NOW!

that's: 73

total:619
    favourite of the batch: Locke & Key

Incredible Member

The Maxx 1-8
    Ragnarok 1-6
    Fantastic Four 286-295
    The Last Galactus Story 55 pgs (2 issues)
    The Goon LE 450 pgs (20 issues)
    Spider-Man newspaper strips vol. 2 305 pgs (13 issues) I am jumping off this one here Romita left and the tone changed pretty much instantly.
    Complete Star Slammers 11 issues
    Uncle Scrooge Back to the Klondike & Only a Poor Old Man
    Fear Agent 1-15
    Tales of the Fear Agent 138 pgs (6 issues)
    The Eternaut 350 pgs (16 issues)
    Fear Agent 17-32
    Tales of the Fear Agent 96 pgs (4 issues)
    Superior Spiderman vol 1 8 issues
    The Goon LE 2 416 pgs (18 issues)
    Superior Foes Omni 17 issues
    Superior Spiderman Vol 2 11 issues
    Superior Spiderman Vol 3 17 issues
    DD by Waid Vol 4 12 issues
    Hawkeye by Fraction Vol 1&2 24 issues
    Avengers by Busiek Vol 1 41 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 1 12 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 2 13 issues
    Deadpool Dracula's Gauntlet OHC 7 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 3 9 issues
    Avengers by Busiek Vol 2 44 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 4 11 issues
    Captain Britain Birth of a Legend OHC 330 pgs (14 issues)
    Iron Man by Busiek & Chen 36 issues
    Civil War 2 FCBD issue
    Captain America by Spencer FCBD issue
    Blacksad 1
    Total: 426
    Last edited by Brewman; 05-12-2016 at 09:27 PM.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Usagi Yojimbo (Fantagraphics) #19-38: I remain happy I bought the Fantagraphics two volume slipcase. There isn't a bad story in the bunch, and it builds on the mythology nicely.

Mighty Avengers #12, 18: The origin of the Secret Warriors. Decent set-up to a rather successful series.

Strange Tales #178-181/ Warlock #9-15: Jim Starlin's Warlock saga. Excellent cosmic series with rather clever storytelling.

Avengers Annual #7/ Marvel Two in One Annual #2: Epic finale to Starlin's Warlock saga as the Avengers are drawn into the fight against Thanos.

Batman Annual '89: Because it's Jim Owsley and Michael Golden on Batman. The hero's put in a tough spot in the aftermath of some tragedies. This might be going too far in questions of how uncompromising a superhero should be.

Captain America: Man Out of Time #1-5)
    Pretty solid look at some of the first Avengers stories from Cap's point of view.

And some Spider-Man stuff...

Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine #1-6:

Mary Jane #1-4

Mary Jane: Homecoming #1-4

Marvel Team-Up #55

Total So Far: 793 Issues

Best of the Batch: Avengers Annual #7/ Marvel Two in One Annual #2
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    TOTAL: 40 issues.
    FF Hickman Omni 2: 31 issues
    GI Joe Complete 5: 11 issues
    GI Joe Complete 6: 11 issues
    --------------
    53 issues

TOTAL: 93 issues

Lately:

Black Panther #1
    Old Man Logan #5
    Spider-man #3
    Phonogram Vol. 1 (6 issues)
    Grimm Fairy Tales presents Hellchild #1
    Nameless #5
    Rocket Girl #7
    Harley’s Little Black Book #1
    Nailbiter 14-20 (7 issues)
    Grimm Fairy Tales Steam Punk #1
    All New Wolverine #7
    Uncanny X-Men #7
    Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur 1-5
    Shutter #20
    Cry Havok #3
    Lady Mechanika Tablet of Destinies 4-6
    Velvet 11-14

37 issues for a grand total of 410
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

What If? #21 (1977). What is Sue Storm married the Sub-Mariner. 1 issue

Sub-Mariner (1968) 1-2. 2 issues

Captain Marvel (2007) 1-5. 5 issues
    Invincible Iron Man (2008) 1-6. 6 issues
    Skaar Son of Hulk (2008) #1. 1 issue

Usagi Yojimbo #154. 1 issue
    TMNT ongoing #58. 1 issue

Future Quest #1

I enjoyed Future Quest but I think I'll just wait for a trade to read more of it. I thought they did a good job bringing those old shows into the modern era without making them over the top cheesy. All I can think of the first 3 seasons of Venture Brothers when I see any of the Johnny Quest characters.

new total: 649
    Last edited by Mormegil; 05-21-2016 at 12:43 AM. Reason: I forgot to add Future Quest #1

Mighty Member

Update:

Scott Pilgrim HC v4,5,6 (~31) - Great series of books. Another example of a story that only comics could do justice. (although the movie was a mighty fine adaptation)

Wasteland HC v3,4,5 (35) - Story did a great job answering most things, managing to come full circle bringing everything together in the end. Wonderful. Highly recommend.

Lost At Sea HC (~7) - O'Malley's first published work i believe. Decent teen coming of age sort of story.

March TP v1 (~6) - Quick read. Wished they wouldn't have split this up into 3 books.

All New X-men HC v3 (12) - Focus shifts more on the O5 in general, and not just them being "displaced in time". Totally unnecessary, but totally awesome crossover with the GotG, the Shi'ar, and the Starjammers. Say what you will about Bendis' characterizations, but the artists on this run are brilliant.

edit: forgot to add We Stand On Guard HC (6) - i haven't been that impressed with the last couple BKV offerings. This was just alright, like Private Eye. Hopefully the first trade of Paper Girls i picked up will be better.

525 + 97 = 622 for the year
    Last edited by awayne83; 05-21-2016 at 02:16 AM.

if you liked Scott Pilgrim and Lost at sea check out Seconds, really really liked it.
    Wasn't that impressed with We stand on guard either even though I quite liked PR.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    if you liked Scott Pilgrim and Lost at sea check out Seconds, really really liked it.
    Wasn't that impressed with We stand on guard either even though I quite liked PR.
    I read and posted about Seconds several weeks back. I believe our conversation lead to you finally picking it up