Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters #1-3
    Beautifully illustrated story about a hero going through a midlife crisis.

Paper Girls #1-5
    A BKV monthly series that seems to be oddly under the radar. Well-developed characters in an interesting situation, that fits the metaphor of their problems.

Atomic Robo & the Fighting Scientists of Tesladyne #1-6
    Starts out as a bit of a Hellboy knockoff (with weaker art) but finds it identity with the fighting scientists theme.

Batman: Ego
    Excellent one-shot about Batman's crisis of conscience.

Nexus: Origin
    Baron & Rude completely retell early portions of Nexus's story from the black and white mini-series, with impressive storytelling and worldbuilding.

Ivar Timewalker #1-12

Fun series about time-travel. Very much my cup of tea.

Dead Drop #1-4
    Unconventional team-up elevated by a 1980s cyborg.

Grimajck Prelude (3 Issues) + Starslayer #17: These are Grimjack's appearances in Starslayer, as well as a prelude story in the omnibus.
    Good concept/ worldbuilding. I like the story about vampires.

Liberators #1-4 + Extras (2 Issues Worth)
    I'm always interested in how comics deal with politics, so a story about radical animal rights activists is going to interest me. What works rather well is that it's acknowledged how the leads are messed up.

30 Days of Night #1-3
    Great concept for a horror comic nicely realized through Templesmith's impressionistic art, and some impressive twists.

Action Comics #855-857
    Nice art by Powell in a Bizarro story with some depth, and good moments for Jonathan Kent (which made sense given what was coming.)

Marvel Fanfare #51, 56-60
    Marvel inventory stories of varying quality. Some interesting experiments, even if not always very successful.

And some Spider-Man...

Carnage #1-5
    Marvel Adventures Spider-Man #13-20

Total So Far: 860 Issues

Best of the Batch: 30 Days of Night
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Late to the party but I really like the idea of this. I'm going to track what I've been reading of late and see what gaps I can fill in from earlier in the year.

I'm going to start off with the recent books I have read and the theme being "Bloodyhell you have had these for years you really should read them"

Vale Presents: The Sacrifice and Other Steam-Powered Stories - 8 issues
    The first story was great, it is set in the Left 4 Dead universe and follows the main characters from that game (I assume as I have never played it) and their escape from a zombie hoard. The story introduces the world really well, explaining the various zombie types, the way the zombie apocalypse started and what this bunch are planning to do and the various people they encounter. The art is very atmospheric and really works well with the script and motion of the story. Worth buying the book for this part alone. The second is a Team Fortress 2 story that I skipped past for the most part. It just didn't engage me neither with the art nor the story. Finally we have a Portal 2 story that was amazing and great way to end off the book.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Change is Constant - 4 issues
    I've never read a TMNT book till this point and this was a great place to start. A new start for the TMNT mythos by Eastman and co, easy to get into and understand the motivation of the characters. The four turtles aren't quire distinct yet (barring Michaelangelo) but you can see the formative parts of their personalities. The art was very good, dynamic, bold and what you'd want from a TMNT book. The extras in my edition were meaningless for me.

The Borgias - 4 issues
    Jodorowsky and Manara, There is nothing more to be said.

Asterios Polyp - 15 issues

One of those pretensions "graphic novels" that actually lives up tot the hype. Loved every moment of this book. The story is so well crafted and so well told both visually and through the script. Another highly recommended book.

World War X: Helios - 2 issues
    An interesting book and decent art. I'm not sure what made me buy this I must have seen a review somewhere. It's decent but not amazing.

Hellspawn - 16 issues
    My first state of Spawn and it was okay, amazing art and decent story.

The Walking Dead Vol 6 - 24 issues
    Awful paper quality and build but still a great series. It is good to see some real movement with the universe and some very interesting takes on the world around them.

Mobius: The Living Vampire - 9 Issues
    Surprisingly good book. I came into this not knowing who the character is or any of his history and the book gave me all I needed to know in a very well thought out fashion.

Peripolis - 3 issues
    Meh. Not for me.

Cyrus Perkins and the Haunted Taxi Cab - 4 Issues
    Got the first issue digitally and really enjoyed it so bought the trade. The book is very well written great characterisation and really makes you feel for them. The art is cartoony but not in an over the top way. The only down side if the poor production value of the trade, it is four issues bundled together rather than a trade. So the in house adverts at the back of each issue are in still in the same place in the trade. They break the flow of the book and just make it look unprofessional.

Total to date:
    89 issues.

Fantastic Member

I'm in the middle of Mind MGMT. I'm struggling to complete the last 100 issues. Gah!

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    I'm in the middle of Mind MGMT. I'm struggling to complete the last 100 issues. Gah!
    I love that series! I can't wait to get hold of the final volume.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I read and posted about Seconds several weeks back. I believe our conversation lead to you finally picking it up
    oh, woops one of my many brainfarts :P

Incredible Member

The Maxx 1-8
    Ragnarok 1-6
    Fantastic Four 286-295
    The Last Galactus Story 55 pgs (2 issues)
    The Goon LE 450 pgs (20 issues)
    Spider-Man newspaper strips vol. 2 305 pgs (13 issues) I am jumping off this one here Romita left and the tone changed pretty much instantly.
    Complete Star Slammers 11 issues
    Uncle Scrooge Back to the Klondike & Only a Poor Old Man
    Fear Agent 1-15
    Tales of the Fear Agent 138 pgs (6 issues)
    The Eternaut 350 pgs (16 issues)
    Fear Agent 17-32
    Tales of the Fear Agent 96 pgs (4 issues)
    Superior Spiderman vol 1 8 issues
    The Goon LE 2 416 pgs (18 issues)
    Superior Foes Omni 17 issues
    Superior Spiderman Vol 2 11 issues
    Superior Spiderman Vol 3 17 issues
    DD by Waid Vol 4 12 issues
    Hawkeye by Fraction Vol 1&2 24 issues
    Avengers by Busiek Vol 1 41 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 1 12 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 2 13 issues
    Deadpool Dracula's Gauntlet OHC 7 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 3 9 issues
    Avengers by Busiek Vol 2 44 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 4 11 issues
    Captain Britain Birth of a Legend OHC 330 pgs (14 issues)
    Iron Man by Busiek & Chen 36 issues
    Civil War 2 FCBD issue
    Captain America by Spencer FCBD issue
    Blacksad 1
    Untold Tales of Spider-Man Omni 33 issues
    Rocket Raccoon FCBD
    ROM FCBD
    Valiant FCBD

Total: 462
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Spectacular Member

Week 19

Nova (1976) 1-11 (11)
    Transmetropolitan 1-24 (24)

Total for the week: 35
    Total for the year: 881

Spectacular Member

Week 20

Transmetropolitan 25-60 (36)

Total for the week: 36
    Total for the year: 917

From 25 April to 25 May (for complete total see my post on page 4):

A-Force (2016): 5
    All-New Inhumans (2015): 7
    All-New Wolverine (2015): 7-8
    All-New X-Men (2015): 9
    Angela: Queen of Hel (2015): 7
    Avengers (2012): 15-18
    Avengers Assemble (2012): 18
    Black Widow (2016): 3
    BOOM Studios Summer Blast (2016): FCBD
    Captain America: Steve Rogers (2016): FCBD
    Captain Marvel (2012): 15
    Captain Marvel (2016): 4
    Civil War II (2016): 0, FCBD
    Contest of Champions (2015): 8
    Daredevil (2015): 6
    Dark Horse Comics FCBD (2016): one-shot
    Deadpool (2015): 9-10
    Doctor Strange (2015): 7
    Doctor Strange: Last Days of Magic (2016): one-shot
    Doctor Who FCBD (2016): one-shot
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2015): 8
    Illuminati (2015): 7
    Infinity (2013): 1
    Infinity: Against the Tide Infinite Comic (2013): 1-2
    Infinity: The Hunt (2013): 1-4
    James Bond (2015): 5
    Karnak (2015): 4
    Lady Mechanika FCBD (2016): one-shot
    Mighty Avengers (2013): 1-3
    New Avengers (2013): 8-9
    New Avengers (2015): 11
    New Mutants (1983): 71-73
    Nova (2013): 8-9
    Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat (2015): 5
    Rocket Raccoon and Groot (2015): 5
    Scarlet Witch (2015): 6
    Scott Pilgrim (2004): Volume 2 (10)
    Silver Surfer (2016): 4
    Spider-Woman (2015): 6-7
    Star-Lord (2015): 6-7
    Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Hive (2012): 1
    Thunderbolts (2012): 13-15
    Ultimates (2015): 6-7
    Uncanny Avengers (2015, 2 of 2): 9
    Uncanny Inhumans (2015): 8
    Uncanny X-Men (1963; formerly "X-Men"): 239-243
    Uncanny X-Men (2016): 7
    Web Warriors (2015): 6
    X-Factor (1986): 36-40
    X-Men '92 (2016): 3

Total (this period): 88
    Total (overall): 598
    Goal: 1583
    Last edited by Taral-DLOS; 05-25-2016 at 05:32 AM.

Carnage 1-5
    Very good book, not what I was expecting at all.
    Ultimates 1-3
    So much potential let down by awful writing.
    Web Warriors 1-5
    interesting idea, but writing could be better
    Black Panther 1+2
    Interesting, will give it an arc.
    Black Knight 1-2
    Very impressed, will stick with this one.
    Extraordinary X Men 1-5
    Not a fan of Lemire but enjoying this
    Black Widow 1+2
    Wow. Not a great first issue but the second was amazing. Might pick up DD now.

Read and enjoyed the first issue of:
    Daredevil
    Mockingbird
    Captain Marvel

Also read the first volume of Siegfried which is beautiful.

This week: 29
    Total: 117

Mighty Member

update:

Paper Girls TP v1 (5) - BKV is back in my good graces with a strong start to a intriguing series. Took me places i wasn't expecting to go...

Tokyo Ghost TP v1 (5) - Heard a lot of negativity about the first issue, but i thought it was great to be thrown into a crazy, elaborate world with the expectation from the writer to catch up. I imagine this read better as a trade though. Murphy doing his thing, as usual.

Descender TP v2 (5) - Not as strong as v1, but still one of my favorite ongoings right now. Nguyen again with breathtaking artwork.

Kingdom Come HC (4) - Great JL/Superman story. Ross had his hands full, and delivered admirably. Only knock i would give it was the panels were sooo busy it was hard to focus sometimes. But that's more a result of the story itself.

All New Xmen HC v4 (11) - This volume included a visit to the UU, a taste of the Black Vortex, and a meeting with the Utopians. Nice finish to Bendis' run. I'm always down with anything UU related.

Stumptown HC v1,2 (9) - If you want a funny, smart detective book this is it. I blazed through both of these back to back. The main character is a treat, and the HC's themselves have a great build. DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS!

622 + 39 = 661 for the year
    Last edited by awayne83; 05-27-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Legends of the Dark Knight #0: Solid jam issue, combining cool images of Batman from upcoming issues of the series with a villain's attempt to understand him.

Superman #219/ Action Comics #829/ Adventures of Superman #642-643/ Wonder Woman #219/ OMAC #1-6
    An unconventional but mostly successful DC event book tying the trinity together.

XO Man of War #0
    - Solid origin story for the Valiant hero.

Shadowman #0
    - Decent flashback to the earlier Shadowman.

Three #1-5: Interesting response to 300, showing the bad side of the Spartans.

Secret #1-7:
    Solid modern espionage story with a great conspiracy at the center.

Jughead Volume 2 #1-6: The challenge and fantasy sequences make for a clever TPB length story.

Solo #5/ Green Lantern Secret Files/ The Shade #4/ Jonah Hex #33, 50/ All-Star Western #34

Did you guys know Darwyn Cooke is a hell of an artist? This all comes from the awesome oversized Graphic Ink collection.

Death of Captain Marvel:
    Good mix of the cosmic and the personal as Starlin explores the experiences of a dying hero.

Sidekick #1-12: A solid entry in the 'What if superheroes were really messed up?' subgenre.

Shadowman #6-8: A one-off by Ditko, followed by a creepy intro to archvillain Mister Darque.

Eternal Warrior #3-5: Solid intro to Bloodshot, although the constantly reincarnated villain was more satisfying.

Drax the Destroyer #1-4:
    Solid monster story as escaped alien prisoners take over a small town.

East of West #1-26: Strange sci fi epic. Hickman and Dragotta have a lot of spinning plates here, but mostly make it work, with a focus on a large but consistently interesting cast.

And some Spider-Man

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #72-80
    Spectacular Spider-Man Volume 2 #27
    Web of Romance
    Amazing Fantasy #15
    Peter Parker Spider-Man #53-55

Total So Far: 962

Best of the Batch: Amazing Fantasy #15. Holds up so much better than most superhero origins.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The Massive: Library Edition vol. 1 (16 issues) - Truly loved every single page of this post apocalyptic world Brian Wood created here. Wood creates quite the mystery here, because why is the Kapital not able to catch up to the Massive, the other ship in the fleet, despite it always being visible on the edge of the radar, but at the same time never visible by eyesight. And what about all the staff on the Kapital? Their backgrounds are unraveled in flashbacks, but never fully disclosed. I can't wait to see how Wood is going to wrap this in the next volume.

Spotters GN (~8 issues) - A Dutch graphic novel about a geek with a passion for airplanes that finds his love while being out in the field spotting planes. I really enjoyed this book that is ultimately a love story.

Blankets GN (~26 issues) - I started this last year and didn't continue after about 100 pages... not sure why, but while on holidays in Italy last week I started again and finished in one sitting. One of the best graphic novels I've ever read!!

May total: 88

Total for 2016: 479

Mighty Member

^I'm glad to see so many people are getting a chance to enjoy the massive. One of my favorites from the last 5 years. Curious to see what people will have to say after the final volume.

I remember enjoying blankets, but it gets a TON of praise, so i cant help but think its a little overrated. I recall it ending sort of abruptly as well, which annoyed me. One of several books i really need to go back and revisit

Went with some longer and denser comics to finish up the 1,000. I'll likely keep posting anyway.

Silver Surfer #34-38: The opening of Starlin & Lim's run brings Thanos to the series in a set-up to Infinity Gauntlet. Great mix of pathos and humor.

Thanos Quest #1-2: Might be the best prelude to any major comic book event as Thanos manipulates his way to getting the Infinity Gauntlet.

JSA: The Liberty File #1-2: Noirish superhero comic with DC heroes in World War 2 and nice art by Tony Harris. I'm a bit confused why it's not a Batman title given his role, and the appearances by his enemies.

Frontline Combat #6-10: Excellent EC anthology.

Blazing Combat #1, 2, 4: Essentially a follow-up to Frontline Combat, with many of the same artists.

Batman: Haunted Knight #1-3: Solid Batman one-offs by Loeb and Sale.

Eternal Warrior #6-8: The introductions of Master Darque and Ivar (in a Three Musketers pastiche) by Barry Windsor-Smith are among the strongest efforts of the classic Valiant.

Superman: American Alien #1-7: Excellent anthology about stories from Superman's early days. I kinda wish this was the official continuity.

Sgt. Fury #13- Lee & Kirby bring Captain America & Bucky to the title for a consistently fun team-up.

X-Men Volume 1 #9- The Avengers clash occurs with good reason, and the interactions are fun.

Henchmen #1: A funny one-off about an ordinary guy who becomes a supervillain's henchman. I'm including this because I double-counted a Batman Annual.

New Frontier #1-6: One of the most impressive achievements in superhero comics.

Total So Far: 1,000

Best of the Batch: New Frontier.

Best of the 1,000: New Frontier
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets