Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Batgirl (DC You) v. 2 (6) I like the overall story, but not too thrilled with the artwork and characterization of Barbara. Maybe it’s just that I read this and Grayson back to back, but they don’t feel like they belong in the same universe. Barbara feels like she’s such a younger character that it really feels like Dick should have a big brother type relationship with her, not “the one that got away”.

Bizarro (6) Cute art style and story. Reading 6 issues of “Bizarro Speak” gets a bit tiring. Overall, a nice buddy comedy with Bizarro and Jimmy Olsen.

Grayson v.2 (5) I’m really enjoying this series. The characterization and story are great. I’m not a big fan of the in-book sexualization of Dick Grayson though. I know it’s kind of a thing, but having every other character talk about his butt gets old quick.

Green Arrow (N52) v.2-v.3 (13) OK, but fairly forgettable. So far, I’m not a big fan of this take on Green Arrow. It may be me, but I’m pretty bored with the “superhero losses money/business” storylines

Mister Terrific (N52) v.1 (8) Better than some of the other early New 52 casualties. Not as bad of a take on the character as some New 52 changes.

Muppets Omnibus (24) Overall, I thought this was very good, especially if you’re a big fan of the original Muppet Show. There are some real strong points, like the introduction of a grownup Skeeter. I was a little disappointed that they didn’t take the opportunity to continue storylines from some of the skits like Pigs in Space through a few issues.

New Suicide Squad v.1-v.2 (13) A big improvement over the end of the last series. My one complaint is that if you’re going to rotate character in and out for the missions, there should feel like there’s a reason each character is there. I didn’t feel that way in a few cases, especially when the characters kind of disappeared or were taken out early in a story, but then weren’t really needed to finish the mission.

Prez v.1 (6) This is an excellent book. It’s a very interesting commentary on politics and society.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man Omnibus (17) Good quirky story. Not sure if it would have held my attention as a monthly, but one long story in one volume was nice. Interesting Omnibus tax, since this had one more issue than the Uncanny X-Men volume out this week and was $15 higher cover price.

Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collection v.3 (12) I did not enjoy this as much as previous volumes. I felt that Ultimate War was a bit choppy, almost as if parts were missing. The series is OK, but not on the same level as USM.

Uncanny X-Men (2013) Deluxe HC v.1 (16) I like the concept for this team, watching Cyclopes, Emma Frost, Magik, and Magneto try and rebuild after the Phoenix force. I do however feel like the whole “rescue a bunch of emerging mutants” thing is getting old. Didn’t we just do that with Generation Hope. While I like most of the new characters, I also feel like once this volume/writer is done we’ll never see most of them again.

Part IV Total: 126
    Total: 709

Low week for me as I returned to work from a 2 week hiatus.

John Carter Warlord of Mars #9-14
    Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows #1-5
    Inferno (Secret Wars) #1-5

16 books for a grand total of 182 for the year.
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

Third Testament (~10 issues) - The whole Third Testament series in Dutch, but that was also published by Titan Comics. Fantastic catholic fantasy series. The story is very strong and so is the art. This is some of the best in French comics.

Caravaggio vol. 1 (~3 issues) - Milo Manara's interpretation of Michelangelo Caravaggio's life. Really enjoyed this. The man knows how to draw!!

Silas Corey vol. 3 (~3 issues) - Excellent continuation of the series. Madam Zarkoff is dying and is looking for her son in WW1, who is the only heir. She is very rich and has many people working for her that all have something to benefit if her son isn't found. Silas despises her, but his motif to start working for her to find her son is so he can benefit some before she dies. This really needs an English translation for the gorgeous art and excellent story.

Zo maak je fortuin in juni 1940 (~ 5 issues) - I really loved this action filled book. It's the start of the nazi's taking over France during WW2. All of the French gold was moved elsewhere, or was it really? 2 tons of gold is still in the French National Bank's vaults and needs to be transported away before the nazi's can take it. But is it really the nazi's they should worry about? A German collaborateur, a Corsican, a French boxer and a French lady get a tip about the transport and decide to make use of the chaos in a country at war, and that taking the gold should be doable. This was so much fun!!

Een zakje knikkers vol. 3 (~2 issues) - The first two volumes have also been translated to English by Scholastic I think. Quite a good (and finished) story that is. This third installment is pretty useless and adds nothing to the first two volumes. I was quite disappointed.

February total: 100 issues

Total: 178

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus, Robin: Reborn and Batman by Ed Brubaker Volume 1 have taken me up to 204. The GA stuff grates after a while and is best read in small doses, but I can't stand for book to take me that long to read so I just plowed through it. The early Robin stuff from Grant and Dixon is brilliant though, and I really enjoyed the Brubaker volume as well. Reviewed two of three books on Amazon as well, which is my first time doing so since April of last year.

Spectacular Member

Week 7

Daredevil (2014) 1-18+1.5+15.1 (20)
    Judge Death Life and Death... (8)
    Wonder Woman (2011) 1-10 (10)
    Tif et Tondu Integrale 8 (6)
    New Thunderbolts 1-18 (18)
    Thunderbolts 100-109 (11, 1 double-sized)

Total for the week: 73
    Total for the year: 348

Incredible Member

The Maxx 1-8
    Ragnarok 1-6
    Fantastic Four 286-295
    The Last Galactus Story 55 pgs (2 issues)
    The Goon LE 450 pgs (20 issues)
    Spider-Man newspaper strips vol. 2 305 pgs (13 issues) I am jumping off this one here Romita left and the tone changed pretty much instantly.
    Complete Star Slammers 11 issues
    Uncle Scrooge Back to the Klondike & Only a Poor Old Man
    Fear Agent 1-15
    Tales of the Fear Agent 138 pgs (6 issues)
    The Eternaut 350 pgs (16 issues)
    Fear Agent 17-32
    Tales of the Fear Agent 96 pgs (4 issues)
    Superior Spiderman vol 1 8 issues
    The Goon LE 2 416 pgs (18 issues)

Total: 155
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

All-New Member

Next update. Figured I'd start posting when I finish 100 issues. Pretty good books all around this time.

Alias Omnibus (29) I remember picking up the first few issues when this first came out. I wasn’t a big fan then. While I still don’t care much for the art style, the overall book is pretty darn good. If you like a lot of mystery and drama, sprinkled with a bit of capes I recommend it.

Bat-Mite (6) Cute and funny. If you like the character and the type of humor usually associated with him, it’s a good book. Parts of it definitely felt like commentary on the New 52 updates and changes to characters.

Catwoman (N52) v.1-v.3 (19) For the most part, I’ve liked this book so far. I’d like a bit more time spent building up the supporting cast. The 2 Eclipso issues were rough to get through and reminded me why I dropped the title. Fortunately it picks back up after them.

Hawkman Omnibus (29) This was my longest exposure to the character. I’ve read a lot of Johns’ work, including JSA, so I know the man loves his DC history. I was still surprised at how much of the character’s history he included, especially one that is considered so “broken”. I wish we would get the 2nd part of the series.

Midnighter v.1 (7) I find the character interesting and enjoyed him in the N52 Stormwatch and Grayson, but I just could not get into this book. It took me 3 days to finish. Part of it is that it feels like there’s history/backstory that should be known, but isn’t.

Secret Six (N52) v.1 (6) If you liked the original volumes you should like this too. I liked that, while the main group doesn’t include all the pre-N52 members, a lot of them do make appearances. I do wish we got a bit more about a few of the characters.

Superior Spider-Man HC v. 1 (8) I originally jumped off Spider-Man with the start of the Superior storyline. After all the praise I’m giving it a shot. So far it’s pretty good.

Part V Total: 104
    Total: 813

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat2576 View Post

Midnighter v.1 (7) I find the character interesting and enjoyed him in the N52 Stormwatch and Grayson, but I just could not get into this book. It took me 3 days to finish. Part of it is that it feels like there’s history/backstory that should be known, but isn’t.
    well, there is the original Wildstorm Stormwatch and The Authority by Warren Ellis, donno if you knew about those before.
    If not its well worth checking out, Stormwatch starts out decently and when Hitch jumps on art is kicks into full gear then turns into The authority which is one of my all time favourite books, not top 5 but probably in my top 10.
    It's all about action and spectacle and pushing the superhero genre somewhere it rarely went before.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    well, there is the original Wildstorm Stormwatch and The Authority by Warren Ellis, donno if you knew about those before.
    If not its well worth checking out, Stormwatch starts out decently and when Hitch jumps on art is kicks into full gear then turns into The authority which is one of my all time favourite books, not top 5 but probably in my top 10.
    It's all about action and spectacle and pushing the superhero genre somewhere it rarely went before.
    I'm aware that he was a Wildstorm character before the N52. I don't know if the things I had issues with are carryovers from that or not. The series appears to have went with the N52 version of his relationship with Apollo. I kind of expect a series to start with a clear set up. I was surprised that I didn't like it to much mainly because of how much everyone is complaining about the lack of the title post Rebirth. I wonder now if the outcry is about the loss of the title itself or the character and the diversity he represents.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat2576 View Post
    I'm aware that he was a Wildstorm character before the N52. I don't know if the things I had issues with are carryovers from that or not. The series appears to have went with the N52 version of his relationship with Apollo. I kind of expect a series to start with a clear set up. I was surprised that I didn't like it to much mainly because of how much everyone is complaining about the lack of the title post Rebirth. I wonder now if the outcry is about the loss of the title itself or the character and the diversity he represents.
    I've only read the first issue of the n52 of Stormwatch and hated it but I just remembered that it introduced Midnighter and he and Apollo just met the first time in that IIRC so there shouldn't be any required previous knowledge since they were a couple from day 1 in the original Ellis story I think.

Still, I would highly recommend those, especially The authority.

Amazing Member

Updating!

Amalgam Age of Comics: The DC\Marvel Collections - 12
    American Splendor: Another Day - 4
    Batman: #48-49 - 2
    Batman: The Doom that Came to Gotham - 3
    Black Science: Beginner's Guide to Entropy - 16
    Citizen Jack: #3-4 - 2
    Crécy - 1
    Dark Knight: Master Race: #2-3 - 2
    DC One Million (Main TPB plus Adventures of Superman, Green Lantern and Shadow of the Bat) - 7
    Defenders: Indefensible - 5
    Doom Patrol, Book One - 16
    Exiles: #1-11 - 11
    Ex Machina, Books 1-3 - 33
    Fantastic Four: Unstable Molecules - 5
    Grayson Vol. 1-2 - 10
    Hellboy: Library Edition Vol. 2-3 - 30
    I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League! - 6
    I Hate Fairyland: #4-5 - 2
    JLA: #7 - 1
    Justice League - #48 - 1
    Justice League 3001: #8-9 - 2
    Kaptara: Fear Not, Tiny Alien - 5
    Klaus: #3 - 1
    Magneto: #1-6 - 6
    Pencil Head: #1-2 - 2
    Punisher by Garth Ennis: Complete Collection vol. 1 - 16
    Space: Punisher TPB - 6
    Spider-Man: Fever - 3
    Tokyo Ghost: #1-5 - 5

Total: 212
    "Para bellum. Sic vis pacem, para bellum. Every dawn, the boot camp sergeant made them recite it like a prayer. A litany. A declaration. Sic vis pacem, para bellum. The hitman's name is Billy "The Beaut" Russo. The Costas love him so dearly, they've made him fireproof. But there's fireproof and fireproof. Sic vis pacem, parabellum." -Frank "Punisher" Motherloving Castle.

Mighty Member

Update:

Archer & Armstrong HC v2 (15) - This series is very up and down for me. Still my least favorite of the valiant i've sampled, but not bad.

Secret Identity HC (4) - Immonen is fantastic on this series. Story's pretty good too.

Manhattan Projects HC v1 (10) - I love, love, love this series. It's one of the most interesting and unique books out there. As good as EoW is, this is my favorite Hickman work.

188 + 29 = 217 for the year
    Last edited by awayne83; 02-27-2016 at 07:39 PM.

Incredible Member

The Maxx 1-8
    Ragnarok 1-6
    Fantastic Four 286-295
    The Last Galactus Story 55 pgs (2 issues)
    The Goon LE 450 pgs (20 issues)
    Spider-Man newspaper strips vol. 2 305 pgs (13 issues) I am jumping off this one here Romita left and the tone changed pretty much instantly.
    Complete Star Slammers 11 issues
    Uncle Scrooge Back to the Klondike & Only a Poor Old Man
    Fear Agent 1-15
    Tales of the Fear Agent 138 pgs (6 issues)
    The Eternaut 350 pgs (16 issues)
    Fear Agent 17-32
    Tales of the Fear Agent 96 pgs (4 issues)
    Superior Spiderman vol 1 8 issues
    The Goon LE 2 416 pgs (18 issues)
    Superior Foes Omni 17 issues

Total: 172
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Latest:

Mobile suit Gundam The Origins I, II
    Space civil war! Giant robots! What's not to love? Well the translated text spread between ballons can be a bit annoying but otherwise great series. Only reason I didn't continue reading with vol3 is that I'm not in the mood for manga right now but if you are looking for mecha action, look no further.

Ennis/McCrea Demon
    Bit rough and it felt like Ennis picked up too many threads from the previous run and I had no idea who was who but otherwise a fun read in an evil way. I would recommend it to Ennis or Demon fans but if someone never read Ennis I would say keep this for later.
    The Haunted tank story was probably my favourite, after that I wished Ennis stayed longer on the book and had an epic 30-40 issue run like on Hellblazer.

Absolute Green Lantern/Green Arrow 15
    Oh dear... I'm really on two minds with this book. I can appreciate the historical significance but without forcing my mind to the 70's mindset this is really a dated book. Probably when it came out it was really groundbreaking but the social issues are very heavy handed and every reaction is very over the top and there are still a lot of typical silly superhero shenanigans to distract while I'm trying to concentrate on the real world issues.
    Maybe I just expected something else but I wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be. Still, had good moments (spoiler: when the "Jesus" guy Isaac dies in the last story and GL blows up the planes that was really awesome) and it's probably the kind of story when I need someone to point all the important things out it achieved and then I can appreciate it more the second time.
    I'm not a fan of Adams, he is a really good artist just not my cup of tea and I think his art didn't really look good in absolute size. It felt like it was made for standard size and while they did a good job blowing it up to this size it just didn't work because Adams never thought it will see print this way.

Black Science v1 16
    Originally when I read a couple of monthly issues I wasn't a fan and I still don't think this is as good as Fear agent (or Deadly Class) but I've read FA in a day so it was a different experience.
    But, this is a good book an intriguing story, interesting drama and good characterization. Also it is batshit crazy with the paralel world stuff and throws some kinda weird monster at you every 2 pages, which is not a bad thing.
    The cliffhanger at the end promises some great stuff and a new direction and knowing Remender it will probably deliver. Can't wait.
    The art is gorgeous and very dynamic, both the drawings and the colouring.

Thats: 57
    Total: 282

Favourite of the batch: Black Science

Love In Vain - Robert Johnson 1911-1938 (~2 issues) - Phenomenal drawings in this biography about blues artist Robert Johnson in the early 20th century. Each page is a true piece of art, wonderful! You can read this book knowing nothing about Robert Johnson, but just put up some of his tunes and read the book... You are transported to the South, to Mississippi, and can enjoy this book to the fullest. Highly recommended, but not available in English.

Gung Ho vol. 2 (~3 issues) - This was another enjoyable installment in the series. Action, adventure, mischief, young love and humour blend into an excellent comic. I'm not really sure where this series is going, but keep them coming! Highly recommended, but not available in English.

The Golden Compass vol. 1 & 2 (~7 issues)- I have somewhat mixed feelings about this title. I love Oubrerie's art, but the dialogues are a bit choppy. This pulled me away from the story and the wonders that are part of this world. I have never read Philip Pullman's original books, nor have I seen the film starring Nicole Kidman, but despite the flaws of this book I'm still pulled into the world that is coming alive here. The mystery of the compass, the missing kids, Lyra's background and the mystery surrounding the North. I will continue reading this, to see where it goes.

Hel van het Oostfront vol. 3 (~2 issues) - The third volume in a series of four, is another exciting book. Again we follow the group of nazi's we got to know in the prior volumes. It's autumn of 1943 now and things aren't going well for them at the Eastern Front. The Germans have suffered many losses and are heading back to the homeland, passing through Ukraine. The perspective that is chose in this series is one that I enjoy very much. I don't mean that I root for the nazi's, but we get to know the main characters as people that happen to be Germans during an awful time. And being German they have to fight for Hitler. Great title and I cannot wait for the fourth and final volume! Recommended, though not available in English.

Tex Willer - Rangers over de grens! (~2 issues) - Great Western title. Really enjoyed this. Not available in English

Vier jaargetijden (~15 issues) - As the seasons of the year pass, so do the lives of the characters in this book. A book like that could turn out to be really boring, but that is not the case here at all. We hear the characters thoughts, see their movements, their doubts, like poetry sometimes, harsh at other times. There are quite some intertwining story lines here, so when I finished the book I immediately wanted to start again, to see if there was anything I missed. The book is basically like 4 volumes into 1. Each chapter a new season, following the same people, but the art in each of the seasons is distinguished by a different colour palette. I can't really find the words to describe how brilliant I find this book. Cyril Pedrosa delivers another winner after Three Shadows and Portugal. Highly recommended and perhaps the best comic of 2015! Sad to say again, but this is not available in English

February total: 131

Total for 2016: 209