Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I'm aware of the circumstances and I agree it can be fun, even though sometimes the unintentional racism and sexism can be quite jarring (oh the cringing while I was reading Flash Gordon). But I mostly like the books that are ahead of their time like Miss Fury, Captain Easy or even Prince Valiant sometimes (not in every aspect but compared to other series at the time)
    I'm more of a Bronze age or GA sunday strip fan, the only SA material I liked so far was Ditko's Creeper and the Green Lantern/Green Arrow absolute so I would definitely pick this up before the SA JLA or Flash omnis (although Flash is tempting).
    Then you get a Will Eisner and completely forget you're reading something 80 years ago just after WW2 because he often had a iron-fist grasp on visual storytelling (The Spirit Archives).

The Silver Age is a bit trying for me. As a kid, I enjoyed the Batman and Superman reprints I read available at my local library as with the early Marvel stuff. The material is still decent for younger audiences who need to know how and what a character is thinking or need the "training wheels" of a narrator describing what they are reading. I'm toying around with idea of re-exploring the Silver Age but with R. Crumb and non-Marvel/DC stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    Then you get a Will Eisner and completely forget you're reading something 80 years ago just after WW2 because he often had a iron-fist grasp on visual storytelling (The Spirit Archives).

The Silver Age is a bit trying for me. As a kid, I enjoyed the Batman and Superman reprints I read available at my local library as with the early Marvel stuff. The material is still decent for younger audiences who need to know how and what a character is thinking or need the "training wheels" of a narrator describing what they are reading. I'm toying around with idea of re-exploring the Silver Age but with R. Crumb and non-Marvel/DC stuff.
    I think I've only read pre WW2 Spirit which wasn't that impressive for me. Didn't he had an african american sidekick called Ebony?

Fantastic Member

Ebony White, I think. I've only read post-WW2 Spirit when Eisner returned to the strip. But, what I read was mostly fairly decent to this-reads-like-it-came-out-within-the-last-five-years.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    Ebony White, I think. I've only read post-WW2 Spirit when Eisner returned to the strip. But, what I read was mostly fairly decent to this-reads-like-it-came-out-within-the-last-five-years.
    yeah I've started with the wrong Spirit book, I will get the 75 year Celebration one some day soon.

Incredible Member

The Maxx 1-8
    Ragnarok 1-6
    Fantastic Four 286-295
    The Last Galactus Story 55 pgs (2 issues)
    The Goon LE 450 pgs (20 issues)
    Spider-Man newspaper strips vol. 2 305 pgs (13 issues) I am jumping off this one here Romita left and the tone changed pretty much instantly.
    Complete Star Slammers 11 issues
    Uncle Scrooge Back to the Klondike & Only a Poor Old Man
    Fear Agent 1-15
    Tales of the Fear Agent 138 pgs (6 issues)
    The Eternaut 350 pgs (16 issues)
    Fear Agent 17-32
    Tales of the Fear Agent 96 pgs (4 issues)
    Superior Spiderman vol 1 8 issues
    The Goon LE 2 416 pgs (18 issues)
    Superior Foes Omni 17 issues
    Superior Spiderman Vol 2 11 issues
    Superior Spiderman Vol 3 17 issues
    DD by Waid Vol 4 12 issues
    Hawkeye by Fraction Vol 1&2 24 issues
    Avengers by Busiek Vol 1 41 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 1 12 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 2 13 issues

Total: 302
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Mighty Member

update:

Book of Death HC (8) - Decent event from Valiant. Although, i enjoyed the "potential" endings of the big players more than the present day story, even though the first page i opened gave a surprise shoutout to concord, nc! Lol, my neck of the woods.

TMNT IDW Collection HC vol. 2 (17) - I should have went back and read the first volume, as it has been quite a while since its release. But from what i vaguely remember, the stories in this volume seem to improve on what was already a pretty good start. I'm not really a fan of the one-offs that IDW seems to enjoy doing with their licensed books, but at least the ones for TMNT help to push the narrative forward, unlike the origin stuff in GI JOE.

Recently discovered a small graphic novel section at the local library. Took advantage to try out a couple books i wasn't quite interested enough in to buy:

Seconds GN (~14) - I loved the scott pilgrim movie, and there was plenty of humor in this as well. Reminds me i really need to read those Scott Pilgrim books...

the Sculptor GN (~22) - Wasn't sure I'd be too into this, but i finished it in 2 or 3 days (almost 500 pages) and was a really good story that touched on some interesting issues. Indifferent on the ending though.

I think i enjoyed the Sculptor the most of the two, but Seconds was pretty solid itself. Anyways, both books were a nice change of pace from the capes, even though they had their own fantastical elements.

317 + 61 = 378 for the year
    Last edited by awayne83; 04-08-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    update:

Book of Death HC (8) - Decent event from Valiant. Although, i enjoyed the "potential" endings of the big players more than the present day story, even though the first page i opened gave a surprise shoutout to concord, nc! Lol, my neck of the woods.

TMNT IDW Collection HC vol. 2 (17) - I should have went back and read the first volume, as it has been quite a while since its release. But from what i vaguely remember, the stories in this volume seem to improve on what was already a pretty good start. I'm not really a fan of the one-offs that IDW seems to enjoy doing with their licensed books, but at least the ones for TMNT help to push the narrative forward, unlike the origin stuff in GI JOE.

Recently discovered a small graphic novel section at the local library. Took advantage to try out a couple books i wasn't quite interested enough in to buy:

Seconds GN (~14) - I loved the scott pilgrim movie, and there was plenty of humor in this as well. Reminds me i really need to read those Scott Pilgrim books...

the Sculptor GN (~22) - Wasn't sure I'd be too into this, but i finished it in 2 or 3 days (almost 500 pages) and was a really good story that touched on some interesting issues. Indifferent on the ending though.

I think i enjoyed the Sculptor the most of the two, but Seconds was pretty solid itself. Anyways, both books were a nice change of pace from the capes, even though they had their own fantastical elements.

317 + 61 = 378 for the year
    I keep pushing the purchase of Seconds, donno why, I love Scott Pilgrim. Such a fun series.
    I liked Sculptor as well but the more time passed the more problems I had with it. Still think it's a good book.
    I still have to read TMNT v2 but good to read it's still good. I'm usually not crazy about one shots either but from the first volume my favourite was the Leonardo issue.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I keep pushing the purchase of Seconds, donno why, I love Scott Pilgrim. Such a fun series.
    I liked Sculptor as well but the more time passed the more problems I had with it. Still think it's a good book.
    I still have to read TMNT v2 but good to read it's still good. I'm usually not crazy about one shots either but from the first volume my favourite was the Leonardo issue.
    Yeah it definitely had its flaws, but seemed to overcome them as it kept me engaged throughout.

I think the one shots as a whole improved in the second volume.

Only read European stuff this week and Morrison's Nameless. But The Big Hoax was published by Dark Horse too, though I read a Dutch edition.

Een klein boekje 1 & 2 (~4 issues) - Expected a bit more from Jim after his previous book that I loved. It was okay, but not very special.

Onzichtbare echo's 1 (~3 issues) - Same goes for this book. It was good and could become great in the second/final volume, but right now I'v read better from Tony Sandoval.

Kasteel van de sterren (~3 issues) - I loved volume 1 of the series, but this second and final volume is even better! Alex Alice tells a wondrous story of a gang headed on a trip of a lifetime. Each page is thrilling to look at and the Ethernef is both a wonder to behold, while at the same time giving you a claustrophobic feeling. Alice's imagination is intertwined with scientific facts, at least that is what it seems to me since I'm not a scientist whatsoever, but never loses track of the story he wants to tell. I'm really over the moon of how good this book is and I can add it right next to Alice's other masterpiece Siegfried as some of my favourite French comics around. And just a tip for some added excitement: Why don't you play the album "Le voyage dans la lune" by French duo Air while reading this?!

Regenwolf (~6 issues) - Unlike a lot of Westerns Dufaux really captures more than just the Indians are savages and the white people are the good ones. And not the rich white people are the evil ones and the poor people the suppressed. Instead we get a story told form a lady's perspective that captures Indian mythology, a complex love story and revenge. Pellejero blends the whole story together with his beautiful painted art style. The added bonus in this collection are the extra pages in the back where both authors tell us what they wanted to tell us in the story, giving it even more dimension than the story already had.

Spirou & Fantasia by Franquin vol. 1 (~6 issues) - First time ever that I read these comics from the 1950's. They aren't very spectacular, but true time pieces. Fun to see old cars, fun about traffic lights and how even then Coca Cola signs meant you were back into civilisation. Franquin's art is pretty good and overall the stories are fun. Looking forward to reading the second (of eleven in total) of this collected edition series.

The Big Hoax (~6 issues) - This is the first work I've read that was drawn by Roberto Mandrafina. His characters are all drawn amazingly, with backgrounds rich in details. The story is pretty good too, though some aspects I found a little annoying. All in all a more than decent package that makes me want to look up more Mandrafina.

Tyler Cross: Angola (~4 issues) - Fabien Nury is quickly becoming one of my favourite writers. He also seems to only work with fabulous artists. Just take a look at Silas Corey for example. But in Tyler Cross he works together again with Brüno, whom he also worked with on Atar Güll and the first volume of Tyler Cross. Bruno's art is in the style of Philippe Berthet, a style I can't get enough of. In this volume Tyler wants to escape out of prison. He was captured after a bank robbery gone wrong. Angola prison can hardly be called a prison though. Set in the Louisiana heat, Angola's only mission is to make as much money as possible... It won't be an easy task if he wants to succeed escaping.

Nameless (6 issues) - Not sure what to think of this yet. I loved the claustrophobic feeling I had while reading this sf-horror comic. But when finished it left me with an unfinished feeling...

April total: 38

Total for 2016: 332
    Last edited by MartinNL; 04-10-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Incredible Member

The Maxx 1-8
    Ragnarok 1-6
    Fantastic Four 286-295
    Spider-Man newspaper strips vol. 2 305 pgs (13 issues) I am jumping off this one here Romita left and the tone changed pretty much instantly.
    Fear Agent 1-15
    Fear Agent 17-32
    Deadpool Dracula's Gauntlet OHC 7 issues

Total: 309

Spectacular Member

Week 14

Rocket Raccoon (2014) 1-11 (11)
    Groot 1-6 (6)
    Chopper: Surf's Up (10)
    Howard the Duck Complete Collection 2 (18)

Total for the week: 42
    Total for the year: 691

Fantastic Member

Slowing closing in on 800. Read the second volume of The Punisher Max Vol. 2. It's a solid 3/5 with each of the three stories being 3/5 each. Volume one, averages out to a 3/5 but of those three 4/5, 3/5 and 2/5. Punisher Max is very decompressed and dense at the same time. Garth Ennis can meander, but usually when he does, there is a brief story he wants to tell outside while he has an audience (usually something Irish-based) or a point he wants to make and then moves on to whatever he's doing. Born is his best Punisher Max work, so far. I'm still interested in reading the third, but just barely.

All-New Member

Amazing Spider-Man OHC v.2 (14) While the overlap with the Spiderverse OHC is substantial, this is still a good read.

Amazing Spider-Man (2016) v.1 (5) So far I like the post SW direction. It’s nice to see Spider-Man a bit more connected with other parts of the MU such as SHIELD and the FF.

Batwoman (N52) v.1-v.2 (11) First, I think Batwoman is one of the best characters DC created in recent years. I don’t think this is as strong as the pre-52 stories, but it is very good. I’m going to go against popular opinion though and say I’m not a big fan of the art, or at least the layouts.

The Goon LE v.2 (15) This is such a good series, and by far the best quality build for the price. While I still enjoyed this volume a lot, it was not quite as good as all the world building from the first volume.

Invincible Iron Man Epic Collection v.10 The Enemy Within (21) Guess I’m in the mood to read about Tony Stark spiraling out of control. I thought this was a good run, written well, and a pretty decent multi-issue arc considering the time it was publish.

Invincible Iron Man (Fraction) v.7 (3) What a letdown after the start of this series. 3 oversized issues that feel like they really don’t progress the story. I’ll continue the series, but this volume really feels unneeded.

Ms. Marvel OHC v.2 (9): I’m not entirely sure how Marvel did it, but Ms. Marvel proves that you can create new characters that succeed. There’s great character building, the supporting cast is being fleshed out. I’m not a huge fan of the art style, but it works.

Star Wars Epic Collection Rise of the Sith v. 1 (14) I like what the Star Wars Epic books are doing. This was my least favorite of them so far though. I don’t know if I’m just not a fan of the in universe time period or if it’s the fact that this volume had smaller story runs.

Uncanny Inhumans v. 1 (5) I must say that I’m enjoying the push the Inhumans are getting at the moment. The characters a good and the story interesting. I just hope they take time to really build up characters and don’t just throw a bunch at us that will be forgotten in 5 years.

Wonder Woman Earth One (4) Morrison can be hit and miss for me. I think this landed more on the hit side. I liked the story overall. The artwork was beautiful, but I didn’t care for some of the layouts. Sorry, but I like to be able to figure out the flow of a page without thinking about it. I did feel that some of the smaller references were a bit forced.

Part IX Total: 101
    Total: 1,222

Incredible Member

The Maxx 1-8
    Ragnarok 1-6
    Fantastic Four 286-295
    Fear Agent 1-15
    Fear Agent 17-32
    Deadpool Dracula's Gauntlet OHC 7 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 3 9 issues

Total: 318

Latest:

Izombie omnibus 30
    What a delight. Expected something forced and try hard but it was really a nice story, the mythology had a good natural feel to it and the characterization sold even the clunkier points (not that there were many).
    Allred's art is good, just as always but if you are not a fan of his this book won't change your mind. But if you like his stuff or don't mind it give this one a shot.

Superior foes of Spider-man omnibus 17
    "IT'S THE NEW NEXT WAVE! THIS IS THE BEST BOOK EVER! EVERYONE HAS TO READ IT!"
    These were the opinion that sold e on Superior foes, even though the omnibus is ridiculously overpriced (not that it's unusual from Marvel). Aaaaand....well, it was good. But nothing more.
    I had a good chuckle twice while I was reading so no, it's not the new Next Wave, nothing is and nothing ever will be. Next wave is the best. End of story.
    But when I realised maybe some folks overhyped this book a bit I could enjoy it for what it is and I really, really liked it. Spencer made a good job making the characters a#&holes but likeable at the same time while creating some actually surprising plot twists and an honestly emotional storyline for Boomerang.
    The only thing I didn't really like were the constant popcultural references. Some felt a bit dated and the others will be dated in a year or two and it was a bit forced to begin with. Didn't ruin the book but that was the only part where I felt they tried a bit hard to be hip and it wasn't necessary.

Hellblazer vol3 9
    The Fear machine! Finally! Since I'm jumping all over the place with Hellblazer FM got referenced quite a few times, almost as much as Newcastle and I finally got around reading it.
    And boy, what a letdown. So much lead up for such and underwhelming conclusion. Also Delano kills half the supporting cast without any impact on the story or the reader, mostly off panel.
    Delano is really a hit or miss writer for me, this books was mostly miss but there were still plenty to enjoy just not as good as other volumes.
    Batman Gothic 5
    Good mix of horror and Batman story with a nice mystery and quite an eerie villain masterplan. The only downside is Jahnson's art for me. I don't mind his style but some of his scenes just felt ridiculous, especially the cover to issue 2 which I thought was part of the story. But even when I realised it's not it still looked silly. I think he is better with sequential stuff than splash pages and grand poses.
    Fraction Hawkeye ohc vol1 12
    Read this when it came out but never finished the run so I'm working my way through the 2 ohc-s. Obviously not as fresh as it was initially but I think it's still a good take on Hawkeye and enjoying both story and art.

that's: 73
    Total: 488
    Favourite of the batch: IZombie omnibus