Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Update:

Mind Mgmt HC v5 & 6 (12) - Enjoyed the series. Great modern run. Look forward to checking out more of Kindt's creator-owned work.

Monstress TP v1 (6) - There's a lot packed into this trade for only $10, so you definitely get your money's worth. Found the story to be a bit overrated, though the art was nice. For my money, Autumnlands is the best FANTASY book out there right now.

1301 + 18 = 1319 for the year
    The art in Monstress is amazing. I'm holding out for a nice OHC of this series.

So been getting back into reading and it has been an interesting week or two with the books I've read.

Digital:
    Polarity - 4 issues
    This was another book I had bought during some random sale, and I have no idea why I would have chosen this one. It isn't by a creative team I know (though the names did sound familiar) so it wasn't due to them. Now I am really glad that I did pick this up as the book is fantastic, really dark, very well written and constantly had me asking myself if what was going on was real or not. The subject matter, the execution the overall aesthetic was top notch. Well worth keeping an eye out for.

Outcast 6 issues.
    So I really like The Walking Dead but not been a huge fan of Kirkman's other work but as I got this book as part of a humble bundle I thought I'd give it a go. Overall the book was okay but there characters weren't interesting nor engaging and I felt nothing for them, no sympathy, no fear, no empathy. I think the book has an interesting idea, but it just doesn't land it for me. Decent art though.

Vision machine 3 issues.
    A a future where every movement is tracked and every engagement noted to send you the perfect ad, the system then used by the US government to corral its populous keep the rich in power ... that doesn't sound so far fetched today. The book is very good, a really interesting read and some nice clean artwork. Over all it is a little too on the nose with its commentary but for a free book it is great read.
    Interesting and free.
    Djinn 2 issues.
    Really enjoying some of the great European books out there and now with services like European Comics and Comxiology there are a lot more translations to choose from. This book is based across two time periods in Turkey, just before the 1st world war and the modern day. The story centres around political intrigue, lost treasures and adventure with a heavy dose of sex. The book reads really well, beautifully illustrated and and is one of the most engaging books I have read in a long time. So much so that within ten pages of reading it I was on the hunt for printed versions, which unfortunately don't exist in English. There are a dozen or so books and I'll keep picking them up.

Trades: So I'm still working my way through a pile of trades I have from a recent purchase and from a pile of books I found in another room. Some good, some bad and with the pound falling so badly it is time to start making some hard decisions. When a $10 trade cost me £5 I didn't mind trying a lot of new books, but now they are closer to £8 and only going to go up I am going to be a lot more discerning. Also I'm running out of space.

Storm Dogs 6 issues
    Again one of those books I had bought years ago and then lost under a pile of other books. Finally dug it out and gave it a go. The book starts off a little slowly, setting the scene and letting you immerse yourself in the world and people, but by the end of the book it turns into a bit of a rollercoaster with some very interesting stuff happening. On top of all that the art work is top notch and fits the world perfectly. Can't wait for the next book.

Ghosted 5 issues
    This was okay, an interesting concept, very nice art, but not sure if it gave me any reason to pick up the next book. Fun, light and well paced, great easy reading but I want more than just that.

Where is Jake Ellis? 5 issues
    Loved the first book, and it took ages for this second one to be completed (internal politics from what I remember) and you can see they just seem to rush this to tie up the story and put a pin in it. Will probably end up on the sell pile.

Rasputin 1-10
    Pseudo-Historical fiction, amazing first book, and again I think poor sales made them tie up the story with the second arc as there seemed to be a much bigger story being told in the first. Well worth the read and I will probably give it another go at some point. The art work is amazing.

Postal vol 2 5 issues
    I loved the first book and this one did dip in quality, the idea is really cool but they do need to get a move on with the story. Also the tropes that they trot out really makes you roll your eyes. I may be dropping this unless there are good reviews about the next arc and if it doesn't go on for too long.

Hip hop family tree 4 4 issues
    An odd one, not as good as the first three and that may be because it covers a lot of ground I don't know... which would normally make it better as it educates as well as entertains. I think part of the enjoyment of the earlier books was being able to "hear" the music as I read the books but I knew very little of the music in this one. But I do plan on listening to it and giving the book another go. Going to keep buying this series.

Thief if thieves vol 5 6 issues
    So I wasn't a huge fan of the first trade or two but then one of them really piqued my interest so I carried on with the series, I really wish I hadn't as the 5th volume was a real let down even though it was written by Andy Diggle who's work on Snapshot I really enjoyed. I won't be picking up any more.

Single issues:

Surgeon X - 1st issue
    I had no interest in this book as the subject didn't do anything for me, but it was edited by the mighty Karen Berger and had been getting a lot of great press so I gave it a go and I'm really glad I did. Such a well created book, some amazing characterisation and the art work is top notch. Highly recommended.

Triggerman - 1st issue
    Part of the Titan Comics Hard Case Crime line, it is a book set in America during the 30's and written by the writer of the best comics I have ever read The Killer (available from Archaia). It has that European sensibility and art work that I just adore and I can't wait to read the whole story. Another recommendation.

Warlords of Appalachia - 1st issue
    Another good pick this week, interesting story ad set up and great art work. Set after the second American Civil war it deals with the people living within the occupied territory of Kentucky. Can't wait for this collection either.

A couple of duds this week too.

Peepland 1st issue
    Another Hard Case Crime comic, not really my thing, but others have enjoyed it.

Shipwrecked. 1st issue
    Aftershock Comics is producing some very cool books at the moment and have a roster of amazing artists and writers, but this one was a miss for me.

This week: 61
    Total: 657

Mighty Member

^I remember really liking storm dogs when the singles came out. I thought it was the beginning of a trilogy, but i haven't heard anything about follow ups for a while. And Outcast is a slooowww burn.

^I remember really liking storm dogs when the singles came out. I thought it was the beginning of a trilogy, but i haven't heard anything about follow ups for a while. And Outcast is a slooowww burn.
    I tweeted at the Storm Dog creators and they said that second book is being worked on. Hopefully it sells enough to make the third happen too and finish the story.

How slow is Outcast? Does enough happen by the end of the second trade to make it worth reading?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I tweeted at the Storm Dog creators and they said that second book is being worked on. Hopefully it sells enough to make the third happen too and finish the story.

How slow is Outcast? Does enough happen by the end of the second trade to make it worth reading?
    Based on what you've said about it already, i'd say probably not enough for you. I think its decent, and the 2nd volume does expand somewhat on the overall narrative, but still more questions than answers at that point.

Based on what you've said about it already, i'd say probably not enough for you. I think its decent, and the 2nd volume does expand somewhat on the overall narrative, but still more questions than answers at that point.
    I don't mind questions, even questions without answers (I still love Lost) but I just didn't care about any of the characters, the good guys or the bad.

Spectacular Member

Week 42

Captain America Epic Collection 2 the Coming of the Falcon (22 issues)
    Usagi Yojimbo Volume 30 Thieves & Spies (7 issues)

Total for the week: 29
    Total for the year: 1833

Incredible Member

The Maxx 1-8
    Ragnarok 1-6
    Fantastic Four 286-295
    The Last Galactus Story 55 pgs (2 issues) This NEEDS to be finished!
    The Goon LE 450 pgs (20 issues)
    Spider-Man newspaper strips vol. 2 305 pgs (13 issues) I am jumping off this one here Romita left and the tone changed pretty much instantly.
    Complete Star Slammers 11 issues
    Uncle Scrooge Back to the Klondike & Only a Poor Old Man
    Fear Agent 1-15
    Tales of the Fear Agent 138 pgs (6 issues)
    The Eternaut 350 pgs (16 issues)
    Fear Agent 17-32
    Tales of the Fear Agent 96 pgs (4 issues)
    Superior Spiderman vol 1 8 issues
    The Goon LE 2 416 pgs (18 issues)
    Superior Foes Omni 17 issues
    Superior Spiderman Vol 2 11 issues
    Superior Spiderman Vol 3 17 issues
    DD by Waid Vol 4 12 issues
    Hawkeye by Fraction Vol 1&2 24 issues
    Avengers by Busiek Vol 1 41 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 1 12 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 2 13 issues
    Deadpool Dracula's Gauntlet OHC 7 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 3 9 issues
    Avengers by Busiek Vol 2 44 issues
    Deadpool by Duggan & Posehn Vol 4 11 issues
    Captain Britain Birth of a Legend OHC 330 pgs (14 issues)
    Iron Man by Busiek & Chen 36 issues
    Civil War 2 FCBD issue
    Captain America by Spencer FCBD issue
    Blacksad Somewhere Within the Shadows
    Untold Tales of Spider-Man Omni 33 issues
    Rocket Raccoon FCBD
    ROM FCBD
    Valiant FCBD
    Captain Britain Siege of Camelot OHC 331 pgs (14 issues) John Stokes artwork on the titular arc is awesome!
    DD by Waid Vol 5 9 issues I really liked how this wrapped up. It felt very satisfying to me.
    SHIELD Architects of Forever OHC 12 issues (6 x 2 reads) I read this through the first time and was just confused. Reread it, got it, and want the second arc finished and released OHC soon. Come on Marvel whats the hold up already!
    The Marvels Project OHC 8 issues
    Spider-Man by Stern Omni 52 issues
    Invaders Now OHC 5 issues
    Blacksad Arctic Nation
    Blacksad Red Soul
    Blacksad A Silent Hell
    Blacksad Amarillo
    East of West Vol 1 15 issues
    Avengers/Invaders 12 issues
    Black Science Vol 1 16 issues. Story is great the art can be a little muddy at times due to such dark color palates, but overall I dig the style. Can't wait for volume 2.
    Beautiful Darkness
    Young Avengers OHC 13 issues
    Eternals by Gaiman OHC 7 issues
    Young Avengers Omnibus 15 issues
    Silver Surfer Omnibus 18 issues
    Daredevil by Miller Companion 17 issues
    Deadpool Minibus 20 issues
    Daredevil (1998) OHC 1 16 issues
    Daredevil (1998) OHC 2 12 issues
    Daredevil (1998) OHC 3 13 issues
    Daredevil (1998) OHC 4 11 issues
    Daredevil (1998) OHC 5 10 issues
    SCUD The Whole Shebang 25 issues
    Daredevil (1998) OHC 6 11 issues
    Daredevil by Brubaker Omnibus 1 24 issues
    Daredevil by Brubaker Omnibus 2 17 issues
    Rachel Rising Omnibus 42 issues
    Olympus 102 pgs (4 issues)
    Fight Club 2 HC 10 issues
    Oyster War 158 pgs (4 issues) Really loved the art on this one. The story was entertaining as well. Satisfying blind buy. I would recommend to Tin Tin style adventure fans.
    Mister X Modern Age 15 issues
    The Walking Dead DLX 1 12 issues
    The Walking Dead DLX 2 12 issues
    The Walking Dead DLX 3 12 issues
    The Walking Dead DLX 4 12 issues
    The Walking Dead DLX 5 12 issues
    The Walking Dead DLX 6 12 issues
    The Walking Dead DLX 7 12 issues
    The Walking Dead DLX 8 12 issues
    Topped 1000 on 10/20
    The Walking Dead DLX 9 12 issues
    (Lady)Thor Vol 1 9 issues
    The Walking Dead DLX 10 12 issues
    The Walking Dead DLX 11 12 issues
    The Walking Dead DLX 12 12 issues
    The Walking Dead DLX 13 12 issues
    Fatale Vol 1 10 issues
    Fatale Vol 2 14 issues
    Warlock MMW Vol 1 13 issues
    Warlock MMW Vol 2 14 issues
    GotG Bendis OHC 1 12 issues
    Hawkeye Lemire OHC 11 issues

Total: 1153
    Last edited by Brewman; 12-16-2016 at 09:16 PM.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Avengers (1963) #37-60. 24 issues
    Avengers Annual #1-2. 2 issues

Fantastic Four (1961) #63

Strange Tales #145-146. 2 issues

Usagi Yojimbo #158

Sword of the Atom #1-4. 4 issues

Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom: Triumph and Torment. 1 issue

Power Man & Iron Fist (2016) #3.

New Total: 1149

Either the writing has gotten better for Avengers or my brain has finally gotten used to Silver Age writing, but these past 20 issues flew by. I can't decide where i want to go next. I'll for sure read the rest of the Strange Tales issues.

Do i want to continue into the bronze age or fall back and read some of the other silver age stuff. SA material that interests me would be: Tales to Astonish hulk & Sub mariner stories, Nick Fury agent of shield, Tales of Suspense iron man & cap stories, and Thor. In that order.

What is everyone's opinion on that material? Is any of it so bad that i should just skip it? On one hand, it seems like the stories get more interesting after 1968. On the other, I liked reading every avengers issue and getting the whole picture. You start to understand why certain characters act the way they do.

I randomly saw the cover to Sword of the Atom #3 and had no idea what it was. I downloaded the issues of comixology right away. I really enjoyed it, even if it does feel like another Princess of Mars ripoff. I was a little disappointing that comixology doesn't have the Sword of the Atom Specials.

I haven't read any Hellboy so Triumph & Tragedy was my first Mike Mignola comic. The art messed with the story so well, it really gave it that creepy feeling.

I've also never read any power man and iron fist comic before these three issues for the new series. It scratches a particular itch for a lighthearted comedy and is a nice break from all the serious themes.

Mighty Member

Update:

I had written a bit for this post, but i lost it somehow and I'm not in the mood to retype it all. If anyone wants me to elaborate, i'd be glad to.

Lazarus HC v2 (12) - Keeps getting stronger. One of the best out there.

Invincible HC v5 (13) - Volume 1 was just ok. Now I really look forward to the next book. Shows how a much a super hero series can develop when it's not being editorially interfered with (Shock! Aww!).

The Discipline TP v1 (6) - No, just no. Disappointing from the get-go. Never recovered.

Black Road TP v1 (5) - Fans of Northlanders, Brian Wood is back!

1319 + 36 = 1355 for the year

Update:

I had written a bit for this post, but i lost it somehow and I'm not in the mood to retype it all. If anyone wants me to elaborate, i'd be glad to.

Lazarus HC v2 (12) - Keeps getting stronger. One of the best out there.

Invincible HC v5 (13) - Volume 1 was just ok. Now I really look forward to the next book. Shows how a much a super hero series can develop when it's not being editorially interfered with (Shock! Aww!).

The Discipline TP v1 (6) - No, just no. Disappointing from the get-go. Never recovered.

Black Road TP v1 (5) - Fans of Northlanders, Brian Wood is back!

1319 + 36 = 1355 for the year
    I read the first issue of Black Road and was really impressed. Another book to add to the list.

Spectacular Member

Week 43

Avengers by John Byrne Omnibus (39 issues)
    Punisher War Journal by Carl Potts & Jim Lee (19 issues)

Total for the week: 58
    Total for the year: 1891

Spectacular Member

Week 44

Thor Epic Collection 12 Runequest (20 issues)

Total for the week: 20
    Total for the year: 1911

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Didn't get much reading done this month, and November isn't looking very good either, but this close the end of the year, I'm going to try and make it to 1000!

12 -Ivar Timewalker Deluxe v1
    05 -Mezolith v1
    05 -Mezolith v2
    05 -Mirror: The Mountain
    10 -Vagabond v1
    05 -East of West v 6
    05 -Black Road v1
    06 -From Under Mountains

Total for the year: 829
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Fantastic Member

Closing in on 1400 for the year with the X-Men read-a-thon from X-Men omnibus 1-3 and into the single issues.