Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by krylox View Post
    Agents of SHIELD 1 - nay (1)
    Injection 1, 2 - yay (2)
    Wolf TPB 1 - barely okay (6)
    Captain America 4 - yay (1)
    Ant-Man 3 - YAY! (love this book, SOOOO funny) (1)
    Art Ops 3 - rather nay

total so far: 23
    left: 977
    so Art ops is bad? I was really interested in the new Vertigo books and loving Allred's art but that premise sounds like a rejected second tier Image book.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    so Art ops is bad? I was really interested in the new Vertigo books and loving Allred's art but that premise sounds like a rejected second tier Image book.
    Someone told me that Allred only draws the first issue and afterwards just inks someone else's pencils. Makes sense considering he's still working on Silver Surfer.

Fantastic Member

first issue was killer (if you like the milligan/morrison kind of weird adevnture), but subsequent ones haven't delivered. will stick with it for a few more issues, tho. sales haven been that good, i don't think this will last for a very long time.

Spectacular Member

Week 2

Machine Man 10-19 (10)
    Wolverine Epic Collection 8 (14 issues, one double sized, plus 2 specials: 19)
    Gunmm Last Order volume 18 of 19 (10 chapters, 224 pages total: 10)

Total for the week: 39
    Total for the year: 78

first entry of the year, bit of a slow start thanks to some wordy older books but lately I quite enjoy older material, although some of them are hard to count because of the wordyness or in case of strips when they put 12 panels on a page.

Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck: the last of the clan McDuck:
    So far my favourite Disney book, a long epic with plenty of surprisingly badass scenes, Rosa is a brilliant storyteller, love how he puts extra gags in the backgrounds.

Miss Fury Sensational Sundays 1941-44:12
    Love this book, got the second one already. First female superhero from a female creator, although not really a superhero, more of a costumed adventurer by accident. Surprisingly well written characters, especially the villains, highly recommended read for fans of sunday strips and older books.

Injustice v1 6
    Got it for Christmas. I'm not a gamer and actively hated the Injustice trailers but this book is very well written for what it is. I'm not really crazy about the premise and there was one big "HELL NO" moment with Superman for me but otherwise an entertaining read.
    Also not crazy about the costumes (or rather armors) especially on Flash. Just doesn't make sense.
    I think this one could appeal to non DC fans or to those who think Superman is stupid and lame.

Prince valiant v1: 6
    Read vol6 first to try it out then went back to the beginning. Perfect adventure strip, beautifully illustrated, highly entertaining, one of the bests of all time.

Came the dawn: 1
    Had a long discussion about this in the general thread, I found it rather silly and poorly written so put it back to the box set for now.

Ditko's Creeper: 10
    Fairly standard superhero tale with a weird protagonist. Entertaining but not grundbreaking, lost interest after the main story ended, the shorts didn't really do anything for me.

Mickey Mouse outwits the Phantom blot
    : 9 (stillhave 2 stories left but gonna read them later)
    Bit exhausting and not as entertaining as the Duck stories but not bad. Probably should read this one story at a time. The plots seem a bit too dragged out because of the daily strip format and yeah, the racial stereotypes... bit cringy.

Total:51

Fantastic Member

Angel: After the Fall 9-17, good stuff, reads like a proper sixth season - i'm trying to catch up on the Angel comics before starting all the library editions. i wish i had this. not sure i should go beyond issue 17 though (it's Aftermath, i think?), everybody says it's not worth it.

Doctor Who The Eighth Doctor #1 - pictures coming to life, pretty much standalone adventure (with hints of a bigger plot) resulting in a new companion. i'm not overly impressed and need to read more of that to make up my mind. for now, it feels like the 8th Doctor whom i just love (thanks to Big Finish). it's only fair he finally got his own comic book.

total: 79
    Last edited by zaboraviti; 01-18-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaboraviti View Post
    Angel: After the Fall 9-17, good stuff, reads like a proper sixth season - i'm trying to catch up on the Angel comics before starting all the library editions. i wish i had this. not sure i should go beyond issue 17 though (it's Aftermath, i think?), everybody says it's not worth it.

Doctor Who The Eighth Doctor #1 - pictures coming to life, pretty much standalone adventure (with hints of a bigger plot) resulting in a new companion. i'm not overly impressed and need to read more of that to make up my mind. for now, it feels like the 8th Doctor whom i just love (thanks to Big Finish). it's only fair he finally got his own comic book.

total: 79
    did the 8th Doctor get his ongoing or just this mini? I know the 9th Doctor got an ongoing because it was popular, still waiting for the first hc to be released. Wasn't really impressed with the 10th and 11th volume ones, not bad but didn't make me buy the next volumes ASAP (or the 12th Doctor v1 and I think those are essential for the 4 Doctors event)

Might aswell jump onto this train again, seeing how I failed miserably in 2015..

Aim: 500 books in 2016.

So far:

Daredevil (2015) #1, 2
    Starting off really well, really curious where Soule takes it. Also love the switch from Matt to the other side of the courtroom.

Star Wars (2014) #1 - 6
    Really enjoying this, even my non-comic reading girlfriend does! Aaron nails the atmosphere!

Dark Knight III #1, 2
    My faith in Miller is slowly returning, lets just hope he doesn't take it all away again. This series starts off amazing, both art and story wise.

Squadron Supreme (1986) #5
    Absolutely classic, can't wait to finish it. How is this such an underrated comic?

Nailbiter #1-5
    Best comic of the bunch. What an insanely good comic. Amazing art, twisted atmosphere and top notch writing. Definitely worth checking out.

Joker (Azzarello) - 6 issues (page count /21)
    I've held off on this for such a long time, no idea why, but it's amazing. Great and original take on the Joker and the art compliments it perfectly.

Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1, 2
    I am a noob Spider-Man reader so finding out he had his mind switched with Doc Ock really confused me but Slott really hits it out of the park in my opinion. Everything I would expect and ask from Spider-Man he delivers, even for new Spidey fans like myself!

Spider-Man/Deadpool #1
    Continuing my newly found fandom of Spidey, enjoyable issue, won't pick up the rest of the single issues (since I hate single issues but got curious). Will get the trade, though.

Batman: Endgame: #1 - 6
    Was a tad dissapointed with Endgame.. it was cool for what it was but kind of predictable, unfortunately. I still love Snyder though, this run will be seen as a classic when they go. Such a high standard.

Wytches - #1 - 6
    Loved every bit of it! Snyder is a true master of horror comics.

Total: 37
    Last edited by Batmil; 01-18-2016 at 03:02 PM.
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

I think I went above and beyond 1000 books last year but didn't document it. Might pop in and out of here this year.

Started the year reading the unmemorable The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul, followed by Paul Dini's Private Casebook, which have 17 issues between them. I read the rest of Dini's run over Christmas and I'm happy saying he's one of my favourite Bat writers. Great done-in-ones and good spins on old characters.

Read most of Hulk: Ghost Of The Past on the ferry from home. Love the Peter David stuff and the Marlo story had be gripped. That's 13 more issues.

This past week I've read the Sleeper Omnibus (good, but not as good as the rest of the Brubaker/Philips stuff which I'm sort of working through backwards), Volume 2 of Star Wars (good fun, and a lot better than the Vader volume I checked out), Garth Ennis' superb Rover Red Charlie and the first two volumes of the New 52 Nightwing (decent but disposable), which takes me up to 84 in total. I'm on track for 100 by the end of the month with a 4-book backlog, and at that pace could easily get 1200 by years end.

Fantastic Member

did the 8th Doctor get his ongoing or just this mini? I know the 9th Doctor got an ongoing because it was popular, still waiting for the first hc to be released. Wasn't really impressed with the 10th and 11th volume ones, not bad but didn't make me buy the next volumes ASAP (or the 12th Doctor v1 and I think those are essential for the 4 Doctors event)
    i'm not sure, but i think it's just a five-issue miniseries. but who knows, eh
    i thought the 9th was a limited series too, was it not? upd. ah, just googled it - ongoing indeed, cool!
    Last edited by zaboraviti; 01-18-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Valentino View Post
    This past week I've read the Sleeper Omnibus (good, but not as good as the rest of the Brubaker/Philips stuff which I'm sort of working through backwards).
    What?!?! Blasphemy I say!

Incredible Member

The Maxx 1-8
    Ragnarok 1-6
    Fantastic Four 286-295
    The Last Galactus Story 55 pgs (2 issues)
    The Goon LE 450 pgs (20 issues)

Total:46
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Fantastic Member

145. Finished Y the Last Man.

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    What?!?! Blasphemy I say!
    I read it about 7 years ago and didn't like it at all. Recently I came across the OHCs for Criminal and Incognito in a nearby shop so got into that whole run then read The Fade Out. Yeah, I think I like Sleeper the least.

Quote Originally Posted by zaboraviti View Post
    i'm not sure, but i think it's just a five-issue miniseries. but who knows, eh
    i thought the 9th was a limited series too, was it not? upd. ah, just googled it - ongoing indeed, cool!
    it was a miniseries originally but it was popular enough to start an ongoing.