Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Axis - 1St time reading, not as horrific as I've heard but still not great, the idea was there but messy

2016 books - 124

Fantastic Member

Got two issues into Injection and just stopped. Never experienced bad Warren Ellis.

Struggled through Ragnarok. It's not for me.

Didn't bother with Descender after a few pages in. All three going on the sell pile. One of the decent things about the read-a-thon is weeding out the bookshelf.

Incredible Member

The Maxx 1-8
    Ragnarok 1-6
    Fantastic Four 286-295
    The Last Galactus Story 55 pgs (2 issues)
    The Goon LE 450 pgs (20 issues)
    Spider-Man newspaper strips vol. 2 305 pgs (13 issues) I am jumping off this one here Romita left and the tone changed pretty much instantly.

Total:59
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    Got two issues into Injection and just stopped. Never experienced bad Warren Ellis.

Struggled through Ragnarok. It's not for me.

Didn't bother with Descender after a few pages in. All three going on the sell pile. One of the decent things about the read-a-thon is weeding out the bookshelf.
    Ragnarok wasn't really my thing either
    Injection really came together towards the end of the trade. I believe the first few issues were meant to be vague and confusing
    I have no explanation for why you wouldn't enjoy Descender. The art alone is enough to keep it. Great story as well.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Injection really came together towards the end of the trade. I believe the first few issues were meant to be vague and confusing
    I have no explanation for why you wouldn't enjoy Descender. The art alone is enough to keep it. Great story as well.
    It could be I just wasn't in the mood. (Sometimes that happens) I'll try again.

I just finished Essex County by Jeff Lemire.... Sigh... It still screws with my emotional baggage.

Mighty Member

Update:

Green Arrow by Lemire HC (20) - One of the better modern superhero runs I've read recently. Glad I didn't let the turd that was archer's quest keep me from giving green arrow a second look.

United States of Murder Inc. HC (6) - Bought this on a whim from the Hamilton books sale. Surprised I haven't heard more about this, as it was really good. Breezed right through it. Bendis regaining his form and at the top of his game. Hope it doesn't take several years for the next volume.

I'll post this in the DC thread as well, but that futures end issue at the end of the green lantern book had me somewhat enthralled. I know there was an omni put out. Is the quality of that issue on par with the rest of the event? Seemed like an interesting story...

51 + 26 = 77 for the year

Hellblazer 14 issues
    Lucifer 2 issues

Total: 136 issues

Fantastic Member

Invisible Republic TPB 1 (incl Iddues 1-5) - YAY!! my new fav series, was blown away. (5)
    Hail Hydra 1, 2 - Okay. Readable but that's it. (2)
    Loki, Agent... 1 - Okay. (1)
    Future Imperfect 1, 2 - Nay. generic stuff. (2)
    Ant-Man Annual 2015 - Nay. Weakest one by Spencer, yet. (1)

all the marvel stuff through marvel unlimited. can't seem to find decent stuff to read from marvel, might as well cancel the sub.

total: 34
    left: 966

Reading The New Avengers Omnibus vol 1

Avengers #500-503, Avengers Finale(5)

Never read any of the issues before in this volume of avengers with this being the ending of the series I was a bit confused on some points. But with that being said I still enjoyed it.

New Avengers #1-21 and Giant sized Spider-woman #1(22).

Definitely enjoying this. Awesome learing about these characters and seeing the The Sentry struggling with the void. Was a bit worried about reading this omni due to Bendis's reputation on team books and i'm not understanding the hate. Looking forward to the rest of the omnibus. Just wish they would come out with a Vol 2 or the remaining 4 OHCs were more cheaper.

Total:27

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Reading The New Avengers Omnibus vol 1

Avengers #500-503, Avengers Finale(5)

Never read any of the issues before in this volume of avengers with this being the ending of the series I was a bit confused on some points. But with that being said I still enjoyed it.

New Avengers #1-21 and Giant sized Spider-woman #1(22).

Definitely enjoying this. Awesome learing about these characters and seeing the The Sentry struggling with the void. Was a bit worried about reading this omni due to Bendis's reputation on team books and i'm not understanding the hate. Looking forward to the rest of the omnibus. Just wish they would come out with a Vol 2 or the remaining 4 OHCs were more cheaper.

Total:27
    Considering Vol. 1 is still being clearance out I would really not hold my breath for Vol. 2 ever seeing the light of day. When I got the last 4 OHC's I found a pretty good deal on them buy looking for a lot/set on eBay instead of trying to one by one them.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Captain America (Brubaker) #15-21/ 65th Anniversary: Solid bridge between the Winter Soldier arc and Civil War.

Red Star #1-9:

Decent worldbuilding, with a compelling story behind it, but it gets really padded, and often adds less interesting supporting characters to a complicated narrative.

The Invisibles Volume 2 #1-4
    Beautiful art by Jiminez, with some of the series's best weird concepts and character moments.

The White Elephant (two issues worth)
    Powerful autobiographical comic dealing with the aftermath of a painful family secret, and the complicated feelings in the aftermath.

Odd Schnozz And The Odd Squad
    (Five issues worth)
    Fun OGN about some eccentric kids who face a secretive government organization (that happens to employ cyborg animals) with the help of a mad scientist in the body of a chimpanzee. And there are some twists.

Thor the Mighty Avenger #1-8
    It's great for the reasons everyone says it's great.

My Faith in Frankie #1-4
    Weird, fun title about a teenage girl and the deity that grants her wishes.

Spitfire
    One-shot by Cornell about a character I liked in Brubaker's Captain America. The villain's story comes to an effective conclusion.

Screw-On Head

Mignola at his most joyfully over the top.

The Phantom Zone #1-4
    Weird to see Steve Gerber telling a conventional superhero story. It's a solid superhero epic (great art by Gil Kane) as Kryptonian villains escape, and Superman's trapped in the Phantom Zone.

DC Comics Presents #97:
    A weirder epilogue to the above mini. Didn't care for it as much.

And the Spider-Man...

Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 2 #7-15
    Ultimate Spider-Man #150
    Batman & Spider-Man
    Spider-Gwen #0

Total So Far: 300

Best comic in the bunch: The Invsibles Volume 2 #1-4
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Amazing Member

Ultimate X-Force Collection vol 1 -- really struggled to get into this but gets alot better as you go along, looking forward to vol 2.

2016 books - 139

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Total so Far: 300
    You realize you're on pace for like 5000 this year right? Jeez, makes me wonder where all my reading time keeps disappearing to...

I didn't pay any attention to this thread last year, but I'm going to give it a go this year. From what I can remember, I've read the following this year:

All New Wolverine 1-4
    Uncanny X-Men 600 and issues 1-2 of new series.
    Extraordinary X-Men 5
    Black Magick 2
    Brandi Bare 1-2
    Criminal Vol 1 (5 issues)
    DMZ Vol 1-2 (12 issues)
    The Field TPB (4 issues)
    The Goddamned 1
    Huck 1
    I Hate Fairyland 2-3
    Harley Quinn Vol 1 (9 issues)
    Monstress 1
    The Spire 1
    Switch 2
    Symmetry 1
    The Tithe 7
    Wayward 8-10
    Zombie Tramp Ongoing Vol 1 (5 issues)
    Witchblade Vol. 6-7 (13 issues)

2016 total so far: 71
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    just finished the injection tpb and have to agree. while i liked the first two issues, i was just about to give up on it, simply because it was way too confusing. but it really wraps up wonderfully is, imho, ellis best work in MANY YEARS. really, really outstanding and layered and crazy stuff. loved it.

x-man 65 - okay. average ellis stuff. (1)
    injection 3-5 - yay! high-end ellis stuff. (3)
    ocean 1-2 - yay. pretty cool ellis stuff. sprouse's art looks great in over-size! (2)

total: 40
    left: 960
    Last edited by krylox; 01-22-2016 at 04:41 AM.