Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

The Wicked + The Divine #1-17: a cool concept but i didn't really get into it until #8 or so, just kept going to find out what happens next. i think the artwork was getting in the way of my liking it also. i know most reviews sing praises to it but to me it just feels so... sterile. so of course i welcomed the third arc, when each issue was gloriously done by a different artist.

Heathen by Natasha Alterici Vol. 1 (#1-4): Norse mythology, feminism, LGBT, very dynamic, tore through it in a heartbeat and really loved the art.

total: 121
    Last edited by zaboraviti; 01-27-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Ninjak #11

Invincible Iron Man #5

Star Wars #15: Mike Mayhew's art is scary, really scary.

Darh Vader #15: decent conclusion to the Vader Down crossover.

ANAD Avengers #3

Uncanny Inhumans #4

Star-Brand and Nightmask #1-2: Decent

Punisher #30-37: Cool send-off of Ennis' first ongoing

Squadron Supreme #3: Decent, I guess

Secret Wars 2099 #1-3

Total: 41

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    You realize you're on pace for like 5000 this year right? Jeez, makes me wonder where all my reading time keeps disappearing to...
    I figure I'm going to be busier soon enough. I have some free time now that is expected to end on Monday.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The Invisibles Volume 2 #5-22/ Volume 3 #1-12: A very strange comic that I'll reread soon enough.

The Last of the Independents (4 Issues worth)
    Solid fun noir comic from Fraction and Dwyer. The format (horizontal with a biege color scheme) is interesting, but it's generally accessible and straightforward.

Killing and Dying (4 Issues Worth)
    Essentially a short story collection by Adrian Tomine, who does some interesting things with the medium, especially when it comes to depicting wierdos over a period of time.

And some Spider-Man..
    Untold Tales of Spider-Man #17, 21
    Peter Parker Spider-Man #27-28
    Ultimate Spider-Man #151-155

Total: 347

Best of the Batch: The title piece from "Killing and Dying" exploring the troubled relationship between a father and his teenage daughter, when she tries to overcome her stuttering by being a stand-up comic. It's a powerful nuanced piece.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Crossed vol.1 by Garth Ennis & Jacen Burrows, #1-9: This was literally one of the most messed up book I've ever read. But it's still a fantastic read. I love horror and it made me appreciate Crossed: Badlands a little more. The only disappointment is the crappy ending, it ending was equivalent to The Sopranos finale.

Shadowknight: Moon Knight #1-3: I wasn't a fan of this tie in. There's better Moon Knight material out there, not something I'd recommend to someone who is looking to get into the character.

Cyborg #7: The best issue by far.

Silver Surfer #1 by Slott & Allred: They did a completely new spin on the classic Jack Kirby character and I need more.

Extraordinary X-Men #6: The Claremont and Byrne influence is all over this thing.

JLA #7

American Monster #1

Strayer #1

Total: 99

Lately,

Witchblade Vol. 8; 6 issues
    Zombie Tramp Ongoing Vol. 2; 4 issues
    East of West 1-10
    Monstress #2

21 issues

Total so far: 92
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayne Japal View Post
    Lately,

Witchblade Vol. 8; 6 issues
    Zombie Tramp Ongoing Vol. 2; 4 issues
    East of West 1-10
    Monstress #2

21 issues

Total so far: 92
    What did you think of Monsteress?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Blacksad
    Blacksad: Silent Hell
    Blacksad: Amarillo

I see what all the hype was about now. Well, at least art wise. The stories are typical noir stories, which general, I don't find all that interesting. But combined with the art of Juanjo Guarnido, it's like watching a movie. Guarnido ability to convey lighting is amazing, but I agree, his greatest strength is conveying emotions. Fantastic.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

And then all of a sudden a month has almost passed. Hope to add a few more comics this weekend...

Last count: 59 issues

Patience by Daniel Clowes (8 issues worth) - I enjoyed reading this book very much. It's Clowes weirdness, the characters are funny, down to earth and melancholic. We get a sci-fi, a thriller and a love story all wrapped into one story, with those first two being quite unusual themes for Clowes. But he succeeds very well. This book is comics at its best!!

Rosalie Lightning by Tom Hart (11 issues worth) - Quite a tough read this one since it deals with the loss of Tom Hart's child before she even turns 2. Was this enjoyable? Not really for well the subject. But this was a good read! If you're in need to read some drama then get this book.

New count: 78 issues (January total)
    Last edited by MartinNL; 01-31-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Total: 150 issues

The beginning 1 issue
    hellblazer 6 issues

All-New Member

Adding the second half of January:

Barb Wire Omnibus (13)
    Batman Superman v.1 (5)
    Chew Omnivore Ed. v.3 (11)
    Fury of Firestorm v.1-v.3 (21)
    Game of Thrones v.1 (6)
    The Goon Library Ed v.1 (20)
    Hawk & Dove (N52) v.1 (8)
    Hawkeye Dlx Ed. v. 1 (12)
    Invincible Ultimate Collection v.2 (12)
    Justice League of America (N52) v.2 (7)
    Katana v.1 (11)
    Legion Lost v.1-v.2 (17)
    Legion Secret Orgin (6)
    OMAC (N52) v. 1 (8)
    Suicide Squad (N52) v.1-v.3 (21)
    Part II Total: 178
    January Total: 402

Amazing Member

Alright, let's do this:

Batman: #48 - 1
    Batman: The Doom that Came to Gotham - 3
    Black Science: Beginner's Guide to Entropy - 16
    Citizen Jack: #3 - 1
    Dark Knight: Master Race: #2 - 1
    Grayson Vol. 1-2 - 10
    Hellboy: Library Edition Vol. 2. - 22
    I Hate Fairyland: #4 - 1
    JLA: #7 - 1
    Justice League 3001: #8 - 1
    Kaptara: Fear Not, Tiny Alien - 5
    Magneto: #1-6 - 6
    Pencil Head: #1 - 1
    Punisher by Garth Ennis: Complete Collection vol. 1 - 16
    Tokyo Ghost: #1-5 - 5

TOTAL: 90
    "Para bellum. Sic vis pacem, para bellum. Every dawn, the boot camp sergeant made them recite it like a prayer. A litany. A declaration. Sic vis pacem, para bellum. The hitman's name is Billy "The Beaut" Russo. The Costas love him so dearly, they've made him fireproof. But there's fireproof and fireproof. Sic vis pacem, parabellum." -Frank "Punisher" Motherloving Castle.

Amazing Member

Just read the Avengers Crossing Omnibus - applause for myself just finishing this awful book.

2016 books - 174

ANAD Avengers #4
    Ghost Racers #2
    Squadron Sinister #1
    Carnage #4: Conway and Perkins are doing an amazing job!
    Old Man Logan #1: Lemire writes a very interesting first chapter, but Sorrentino's art is a big letdown. I'm beginning to see the flaws in his work.
    Marvel Knights Spider-Man v2. #1: Trippy.
    Venom Spaceknight: Decent, I guess
    Prison School Ch. 200-2 (1 issue worth): Love this series so much.

Total: 49

Jack staff v4 9
    Finally bought the first trade to finish the story but it feels a bit unfinished. Still a damn good read, really love Grist's art and this whole silly little superhero universe. Wish there would be more of it and some hardcovers.

Vampirella archives v8 4
    Reading it in small bits but surprisingly liking it. Not really a fan of these oldschool short stories but these are actually fun, unlike the few EC one I've read so far. Artwork is nice as well and the nudity and butt shots are not really taking up any valuable space.

Tom Strong dlx v1 12
    Since it's Alan Moore I expected my mind being blown and unfortunately it wasn't. From any other writer this would be stellar job but from Moore it felt like an exercise for fun.
    But still good comics, the worldbuilding is nice and the Tom Strange story was really intriguing, especially Black Terror.
    Gonna get vol2 at some point.

The Phantom Gold Key years v1: 8
    Some stories are better than others but overall a very entertaining read. Mostly enjoyed stories exploring the history of the character, like when he went after the guy who stole his father's belt or Kit's origin stories. Looking forward to the 2nd volume and the Charlton books.

The Shadow 1941: 3
    Thankfully I know plenty about the Shadow because this book throws you into the deep and won't stop for breaks through it's 60something page story.
    Entertaining adventure which leads our hero to nazi Germany to alter the course of WWII and to attend to some personal business.
    The Shadow is one of my favourite characters and Mike Kaluta is one of the best artists who ever drawn him.

Lemire Green Arrow dlx: 20
    Found this somewhat similar to Brubaker and Fraction's Iron fist, which I didn't really care about but I liked GA more. Wasn't blown away but held my interest throughout the run, except for the parts obviously put in by editorial mandate (villain origin issue, backstory told for the 3rd time).
    Diggle's addition first felt really forced and him running around as a sidekick is just stupid but it worked out by the end. The weapon clans sometimes felt cool, sometimes just idiotic, when a bunch of half naked men were standing screaming, wielding only an axe or a shield. And that's not a criticism against Sorentino's art, he is amazing, loved his action scenes.
    Overall probably the best GA story from recent memory, definitely would give this book to a new reader who is maybe a fan of the tv show.

that's 56
    Total: 107