BANNED

Default how bad is Shadow of Mordor?

im not huge fan of lord of the rings nor star wars but i still played Star Wars Force Unleashed. i hear the shadow of mordor game was not very well received by critics should i get the game or not?

Shadow of Mordor was received exceptionally well by critics. Have you played the Batman Arkham games? Because it's mostly a copy/paste of that.

This game was great, but has no replay value WHATSOEVER.. Very fun in the beginning and the endless slaughter of NPCs can be fun.
    Teach a man to fish, you feed a village. Give a man a fish, the ever growing village demands free fish. We will now spend trillions on social services and SSI for people who don't know how to fish.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Shadow of Mordor was received exceptionally well by critics. Have you played the Batman Arkham games? Because it's mostly a copy/paste of that.
    yes i have all four arkham knight was the best batman game i hope Rocksteady would now focus on a Superman or a Flash video game since knight was the last batman arkham game

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBatman82 View Post
    im not huge fan of lord of the rings nor star wars but i still played Star Wars Force Unleashed. i hear the shadow of mordor game was not very well received by critics should i get the game or not?
    The game itself was praised by critics. It is basically Assassin's Creed with Arkham's fighting mechanics. But it does it all very well. The biggest flaw is the land of Mordor itself is kinda bland and boring to explore, but thats my opinion.

The critics were more upset over the publisher (WB) and its restrictive early copy rules, which basically required them to not talk about any potential flaws or bugs. That received a huge backlash, for good reason. And it was mostly pointless, since the game itself is exceptionally made.
    Last edited by MikeP; 01-03-2016 at 01:58 AM.
    Life is but a dream

It's also got an interesting AI system for the villains. Basically, if an orc beats you, it can get 'promoted', and may become tougher to defeat-but also greater the XP/unlockables if you defeat it later. Also these orcs can fight amongst themselves as well.

Story wise, it's kind of based a bit more on the movie version of Tolkien's novels (Orcs, Gollum etc resemble their movie designs), and is sort of set between Hobbit and the main 'trilogy', although it also elaborates on some of the backstory not used in the films.

Shadow of Mordor has a pretty great score on MetaCritic and was fairly well recieved by fans too. Total Bisquit even had it on his list of best games of 2014 too.

As said by others it combat is pretty similar to Arkham series and the ivalry system in it is pretty good too. Has a small open world and some side quest on top of the main story...the game isn't really an RPG as it sorta looks like it might be and you wont find much new loot, gear, etc but overall quite fun and besides LotR Online its probably the best Lord of the Rings game around.

Incredible Member

It's a highly enjoyable game, if unpolished.

The enemy AI system is the MVP of this game. Never have I hated the an Orc by the name of "Dush" so much before this game.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The game wasn't crapped on by critics. The problem was that WB paid off well known youtubers for positive courage of the game. Not that it was needed as it's genuinely a good game.

Shadow of Mordor was overwhelmingly well liked. There isn't any replay value but it's still a great single player experience with excellent combat and an inventive boss system.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBatman82 View Post
    i hear the shadow of mordor game was not very well received by critics
    You heard wrong. Unless you mean Tolkien-purist literary critics. they didn't like the game because it liberally changes lore to suit it's own game needs.

The game itself is absolutely outstanding, Grad A+ from start to finish. Beautiful visuals, an intense and fun combat system, challenging missions and exploration, lots of lore to find, terrific voice acting and some great cutscenes. It's a stellar game. Just go into it reminding yourself that it's a game, not one of Tolkien's novels, and it's not anything close to "official canon" or anything like that.

If you liked the Batman games, you'll probably like it, as it's very similar to those in how it plays. (Running on the same graphics engine too)