Question New 52 titles, DC You titles, Justice League. How is this connected?

Hello there.

First of all: I am a long time marvel reader but I have been reading up on DC for the last few months. I really don't like ANAD Marvel so far...

I've read all issues of Aquaman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Superman, Wonderwoman and Justice League from 2011 on, so from "the New 52" where we are at around issue 47 for all of these titles right now.
    With issue 41 there were a lot of changes like Hal Jordan going solo with the gauntlet, Bruce Wayne not being Batman anymore, Supermans secret is out because of Lois and so on. As I understand these changes were done because from issue 41 on this is no longer "the New 52" but "DC You", is that correct?

And I was wondering how these titles are all conneted to the Justice League titles because I am a bit confused. In the regular "Justice Legue" series that begun in 2011 we are now at the Darkseid War and our heroes became gods themselves. But in their solo issues they are not gods at all, in fact they are doing completely different stuff. For example Hal Jordan is looking for the Green Lantern Corps which is missing or that Gordon is now (Cyber)-Batman... Are these events playing after the Darkside war or before? Or is it perhaps not the same universe?

And now I begun to read "Justice League of America", this series started in 2015 and features all of these heroes again... Hal is "the old Green Lantern" and Bruce Wayne is Batman again.

So thats what really confuses me, are these not the same characters? Are some of them from somewhere else? Or is it just another time?

I would like to ask a few long time readers if they could explain some of this.

In simplest terms

JLA - Pre DCYOU
    Everything else - DCYOU
    JL - Post DCYOU
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    In simplest terms

JLA - Pre DCYOU
    Everything else - DCYOU
    JL - Post DCYOU

Hi there. Thank you for this. So the Darkseid War where they are Gods is taking place after DCYOU. Interesting, because I thought DCYOU just started a few months ago and will last many years?
    But ok, that would mean Hal Jordan will be a "regular Green Lantern" again, Bruce will be Batman again and Aquaman will once again be King.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Hi there. Thank you for this. So the Darkseid War where they are Gods is taking place after DCYOU. Interesting, because I thought DCYOU just started a few months ago and will last many years?
    But ok, that would mean Hal Jordan will be a "regular Green Lantern" again, Bruce will be Batman again and Aquaman will once again be King.
    No not years,most of the changes will revert this coming March, Bruce will return, Superman will be repowered and Aquaman will be King once this arc is over.
    The reason why Darkseid War is set after the DCYOU is the story was plan for a while now and often times temporary DC changes ruin stories writers want to tell.
    JLA is a different case as Bryan Hitch wants to tell stories featuring the classic Justice League (in the new52 case its the founding 7) so its happening before DCYOU.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

From what I understand JLA takes place during the five year gap that occurs after the first arc of Justice League. So after Justice League #6 and before Justice League #7.

Its all the same universe, and supposed to be the same continuity. You just have to be a little flexible with it.

But these events are not all happening "right now". As others have said, Hitch's JLA seems to be happening before Darkseid War, possibly even in the 5 year gap. Justice League is happening, presumably, at some point after Bruce returns as Batman and Superman gets his powers back. Exactly when these things happen isnt that important. If, at some point, it becomes important to know that (for example) Rao invaded earth, it'll be referenced in the story, and that will cement when it happened. Until then, its ambiguously within the time-line....somewhere.....

And with the DCYou initiative, DC has said they want to focus on quality stories within a title, and not worry quite as much about how cross-title continuity plays into it. That's why Justice League has said/shown/done some things that don't quite fit with the history, such as Clark's rocket being in the Kent barn (the Kents never had it in this history) Diana being the only child on the Island (she wasnt) and Oa still being around (it was blown up some time ago). Ultimately, these details dont make much difference to the story so DC is glossing over it, hoping that we enjoy the product enough to roll with the inconsistencies and therefore allowing editors to worry about more important aspects of the business than whether or not the non-essential details line up.

And the changes like Superman losing his powers or Batman being replaced aren't going to last. These are just temporary shock value stories, they're not designed to stick. If you look at the solicits for the 50th issues, you'll see that most of these changes are ending by then.

If you're really curious, research the trouble that Grant Morrison had during his JLA run in the 90's. Things like Superman getting electric powers or Wonder Woman dying really screwed with his plans and damaged the quality of the stories he was telling, because he had to adjust so much to take them into account. Now DC seems to have learned from that lesson and are saying "this stuff wont last, so why screw up Justice League just to accommodate a change that wont last a year?" Likewise, the League becoming gods isnt going to last longer than Darkseid War, so why make the solo titles change their plans for a status quo that will only last a few months?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Thank you all for your explanations, now it makes a little more sense to me.
    Interesting to hear that this maybe even play in that 5 year gap between JL 6 and 7.

And yes, it makes sense that you don't take into account some changes for the solo books when you already know that they will not last very long.

Ascended explained it really well. DCyou was one part of a new bunch of titles debuting and one part of the announcement that they are going to focus on storytelling, even if it means that it doesn't jive with what that character is doing in the other titles they appear in.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Thank you all for your explanations, now it makes a little more sense to me.
    Interesting to hear that this maybe even play in that 5 year gap between JL 6 and 7.

And yes, it makes sense that you don't take into account some changes for the solo books when you already know that they will not last very long.
    Happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Ascended explained it really well. DCyou was one part of a new bunch of titles debuting and one part of the announcement that they are going to focus on storytelling, even if it means that it doesn't jive with what that character is doing in the other titles they appear in.
    Aw shucks.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.