Default 1000th issue of SUPERMAN to coincide with #52?

So over in the DC forum we were talking about whatever changes are coming when the remaining New 52 titles hit issue #52. We were talking about the possibility of going back to original numbering for some of the oldest titles. Then I brought up what was done with Wonder Woman a few years ago to get it to #600--just add all the previous series together. I did some calculating and lo and behold, if you did this with Superman it looks as if #52 would actually be the 1000th issue.

Here's how I got there:

715 issues of the original run, which includes one 0 issue. (I included all the Adventures of... issues because they retained the same numbering.)

228 issues of the second volume of Superman, which ran concurrently with Adventures of, and includes a 0 issue and a 1,000,000 issue.

57 issues of the New 52 Superman, which is the 52 regular issues, a 0 issue and 23.1, 23.2, 23.3 & 23.4.

Did I get that right? That's kind of a crazy coincidence, isn't it? What if instead of #52 they jumped to #1000 and went on from there? Is that something you all would like to see happen? Also, if they had big plans for all the #52's they could keep them and just make the next issue #1001. That's a good number too. What do you think?

BANNED

I wouldn't want the ongoing to go from 1000 and onwards, but I would like a 1000th issue to coincide with issue 52 of Superman, as celebration of all the major Supermen, written by the premier Superman writers, Morrison, Waid, Maggin, etc.

Incredible Member

What about the two Annuals of the current volume?

IF #52 is also #1000, I'd see them doing something like they did for Tec #27. I don't think it will be, but for #1000, they might do something similar anyway.
    Last edited by TickTock; 01-02-2016 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    What about the two Annuals of the current volume?
    I didn't count annuals. They're a separate title.

Incredible Member

What about Action Comics? Renumbering Action Comics was practically criminal.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    Here's how I got there:

715 issues of the original run, which includes one 0 issue. (I included all the Adventures of... issues because they retained the same numbering.)

228 issues of the second volume of Superman, which ran concurrently with Adventures of, and includes a 0 issue and a 1,000,000 issue.

57 issues of the New 52 Superman, which is the 52 regular issues, a 0 issue and 23.1, 23.2, 23.3 & 23.4.

Did I get that right?

You forgot the #1,000,000 issue of Adventures of Superman.

Either way, I wouldn't want to see a renumbering, because Vol. 2 was canceled five years before the original series was ended. I consider Vol. 2 as its own entity, separate from the original series - to me, adding it to get to 1000 would be like including the 136 issues of Superman: The Man of Steel in the count.

Really, though, I think if anything deserves to have its numbering restored at #1000, it's Action Comics. And that issue is still four years away.
    Last edited by Truman Burbank; 01-03-2016 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    What about Action Comics? Renumbering Action Comics was practically criminal.
    I agree, but the damage has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    You forgot the #1,000,000 issue of Adventures of Superman.
    Was there one? Didn't see that in my research. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    Either way, I wouldn't want to see a renumbering, because Vol. 2 was canceled five years before the original series was ended. I consider Vol. 2 as its own entity, separate from the original series - to me, adding it to get to 1000 would be like including the 136 issues of Superman: The Man of Steel in the count.
    I included it because it is "Superman" Comics, as opposed to "Superman: The Man of Steel." Anyway, I realize this is all highly debatable.

Spectacular Member

That's pretty interesting. I hope eventually DC one day will return to the original numbering for some of their titles like Action Comics and Detective Comics.

I do have a question: I am curious as to how the Superman title (with all the runs combined) is closer to 1,000 issues compared to Action Comics? Was there at some point where the Superman titles was being shipped bi-monthly when Action Comics wasn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Monkey View Post

I do have a question: I am curious as to how the Superman title (with all the runs combined) is closer to 1,000 issues compared to Action Comics? Was there at some point where the Superman titles was being shipped bi-monthly when Action Comics wasn't?
    Counting Vol. 2 added over 200 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Monkey View Post
    That's pretty interesting. I hope eventually DC one day will return to the original numbering for some of their titles like Action Comics and Detective Comics.

After COIE, DC launched a new title called 'Superman,' with a new number one issue. This was vol. 2, but instead of cancelling 'Superman' vol. 1 they just retitled it 'Adventures of Superman.' After 'Infinite Crisis.' DC trimeed down the number of Superman books down to two. 'Action' was kept, 'Superman (1987) was ended and 'Adventures of Superman' became 'Superman' again.

All-New Member

I too think is still fare to count Adventures and Vol. 2 together, because the former was a continuation of the Vol. 1 numbering and the 2nd volume was like a bi-weekly issue of Superman.
    I know that that would make Superman reaching #1000 before Action and Detective, but the numbers don't lie; Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 were published at the same time, but can't be treated as different animals, since other Marvel titles added different volumes and even different titles (Captain America Vol. 1 continued from Tales of Suspense Vol. 1 #99) to reach #500/600.

Counting #0s, #1000000s and #.1/2/3/4, the one-thousandth issue will coincide with #51. So, if in the next solicitations issue 51 shows up, either they didn't count some particular issues or they're not going to do it.