Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Was a Contest Held in The New 52? Who Named Diana "Wonder Woman?"

Not sure if these have been discussed in these fora but has it been established whether Diana won the "privilege" of returning Steve Trevor to the U.S.? And how did she come to be known as "Wonder Woman?"

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Nothing has been said either way as of yet.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Its been heavily both in the early JL transcript from Steve who said Diana had to fight off the other Amazons, and the manner of his landing in Secret Origins where Diana referred to him as her ticket off the island.

Why is called Wonder Woman however is unknown.

Diana's reference to fighting off the other Amazons could be due to some of them hating men to the point that they would kill them like in the sex-raids or in Donna Troy's army who killed the majority of the male Amazons. Diana's comments may have nothing to do with any sort of contest being held.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Diana's reference to fighting off the other Amazons could be due to some of them hating men to the point that they would kill them like in the sex-raids or in Donna Troy's army who killed the majority of the male Amazons. Diana's comments may have nothing to do with any sort of contest being held.
    That would have been plausible, if Hippolyta had not been standing right next to them. Remember they are living in an absolute monarchy, no guard, solider or commoner takes a dump or a leak without clearance to do so when within earshot of the monarch.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    That would have been plausible, if Hippolyta had not been standing right next to them. Remember they are living in an absolute monarchy, no guard, solider or commoner takes a dump or a leak without clearance to do so when within earshot of the monarch.

I doubt that Steve was in Hippolyta's presence 24/7 while he was on the island and given the likelihood of that, I could see the man-hating Amazons trying to make an assassination attempt on him.

BANNED

I doubt that Steve was in Hippolyta's presence 24/7 while he was on the island and given the likelihood of that, I could see the man-hating Amazons trying to make an assassination attempt on him.
    So you think that Steve would have been assassinated the moment Hippolyta or Diana took their eyes off him? I think you take their unfounded 'man hating' to an unheard extreme.

So you think that Steve would have been assassinated the moment Hippolyta or Diana took their eyes off him? I think you take their unfounded 'man hating' to an unheard extreme.

It's been established that they seduce men to get pregnant, then kill the men. It is said that they would have drowned their own sons had not a kindly, empathetic (and male) god offered to trade weapons for them. As presented in The New 52, they are castration-fixated, man-hating murderers. And Hippolyta has done nothing to stop all this - she's queen of the murderers.

It's presented pretty clearly in the stories. If there's an alternative view, none of the Amazons ever seem to bring it up.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Diana referred to him as her ticket off the island.
    So do the Amazons have tickets? I haven't noticed any movie theaters on the island. :-)
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Not sure if these have been discussed in these fora but has it been established whether Diana won the "privilege" of returning Steve Trevor to the U.S.? And how did she come to be known as "Wonder Woman?"
    This is all a complete blank. In the Wonder Woman comic, we were introduced to Wonder Woman, five years after she journeyed to Man's World, living in London. We know that, five years earlier, she joined (or joined with) the JLA to defeat Darkseid. Otherwise we know almost nothing about those five years, aside from some hints about her relationship with Steve Trevor.

None of the comics have shown us anything like the otherwise iconic Amazon Contest in which Diana, in almost all other versions, wins the right to accompany Steve back to Man's World.
    Doctor Bifrost

Yeah it's good that Azz left the book. I don't even think he likes Wonder Woman, just wanted to tell a story about the gods and Wonder Woman had to be added to the cast to get DC to write his paychecks. The more of his run that gets wiped away the faster the better. The new creative team has done a good job in that regard.

Fantastic Member

wow, talk about selective editing.

Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 8.48.10 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 8.48.17 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post

Dessa "never did" yet we saw her standing on the edge of the cliff ready to hurl baby Zeke off until Diana arrived and talked her out of it. I wonder what would have happened to Zeke if Diana had shown up 5 minutes later?

Come to think of it, the New 52 version of the contest probably went like this:

Aleka - "I don't want to take this inferior slug that stinks of musk home!"

Dessa - "Well, neither do I. I have a raid..........er, um, I mean, combat training to get ready for Saturday night."

Diana - "I'll do it!"

Last edited by Dr. Poison; 01-03-2016 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Sorry, I'm reading that a bit differently.

She didn't *want* to throw the baby off the cliff, but felt she *had* to throw the baby off the cliff in order for the Amazons to remain true to themselves.

She seemed fully prepared to do it until Diana intervened.

I don't believe for a moment that the other Amazons, who came ready to kill Hermes and only stopped their advance when they saw Diana, would hesitate to kill Steve. I also don't see anywhere that Hippolyta wouldn't have sentenced him to death for violating the law that no man can set foot on their island and live.