Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Just trying to get your opinion on the 'doomed sailors only' thing...
    I don't really care one way or the other.
    I'm saying that the sailors aren't doomed because of the 'sex piracy', but because of irrational hatred.
    The Amazons need to on excursions in order to not die out. That these excursions involve casualties is a seperate matter that is not tied to the need to get new Amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't really care one way or the other.
    I'm saying that the sailors aren't doomed because of the 'sex piracy', but because of irrational hatred.
    The Amazons need to on excursions in order to not die out. That these excursions involve casualties is a seperate matter that is not tied to the need to get new Amazons.
    Since Hippolyta once offered to take Diana out into the world on a weekend excursion, then clearly there's nothing stopping the Amazons from just going to a bar, picking up some guys for the night and then going home in the morning.

That they choose to seduce and kill is just that; a choice. There are plenty of other ways to have kids with no strings.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Since Hippolyta once offered to take Diana out into the world on a weekend excursion, then clearly there's nothing stopping the Amazons from just going to a bar, picking up some guys for the night and then going home in the morning.

That they choose to seduce and kill is just that; a choice. There are plenty of other ways to have kids with no strings.
    There might be other reasons for the Amazons to not wanting to venture out into the world and be 'exposed' in this manner... like say if Circe is lurking about to pick off stray Amazons to add to her collection.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

I think some seducing is going to be involved unles they pay for it...

Anyway, I don't think that just because the queen of the Amazons can take her kid out on a weekend outing whenever she pleases, that it follows that your rank and file Amazon can also just go out to Man's World whenever she wants.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think it's possible that there's two kinds of Amazons that go on those raids: those who just want a kid, and those who just want to kill some dudes.
    Anyway, people seem to have reached Themyscira every now and then, so this divine protection isn't absolute (and I don't recall this protection even being mentioned in Azzarello's run).

I think that the entire point of the Azzarellian Amazons is that it's an irrational, culturally/religiously ingrained hatred. It doesn't need a reason. Just like similar hatreds in real life tend to not have any real rational reasons.
    The divine protection of the island isn't explicitly mentioned in the run (as if anything about the Amazons is), but we never see Diana reach the island without Hermes and his Caduceus. And the Manazons get there with the aid of Hephaestus and Aphrodite. Like Outside said, it would explain how the island has remained hidden, especially in this day and age where a satellite would probably pick it up and lead to its discovery much faster than the loose lips of some horny sailors. But which god is doing it is the big question. Finch's decision to make Hera the one to give the Amazons immortality is really strange because she doesn't seem to fond of either the Amazons or their home in Azzarello's second issue. Maybe it's Aphrodite, but considering Azz doesn't have a use for her besides commenting on Zola being pretty and just hanging around while Hephaestus brings the boys him, that's probably unlikely. Athena?

As for the rational reasons: the Amazons wouldn't need a rational reason, but emotional responses to trauma are not rational. The Amazons in the Perez run and the upcoming Earth One were enslaved and many were raped, after several years of having their reputations slandered just because they wanted to live equally to men. Giving us some similar insight, even in just one or two throw away lines, would explain a great deal about the original Amazons being consumed by their trauma and passing it down to their daughters, and it snowballing from there. But I guess that's too much to ask. Instead, they just come across as a bunch of assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    There might be other reasons for the Amazons to not wanting to venture out into the world and be 'exposed' in this manner... like say if Circe is lurking about to pick off stray Amazons to add to her collection.
    I think some seducing is going to be involved unles they pay for it...

Anyway, I don't think that just because the queen of the Amazons can take her kid out on a weekend outing whenever she pleases, that it follows that your rank and file Amazon can also just go out to Man's World whenever she wants.
    I don't think either of these can be supported with what's on the page, at least in the Azzarello run. He likely doesn't care about Circe, so him considering her as a lurking threat the Amazons dare not cross if they leave home is right out. And we know the Amazons leave for raids, the queen can just go for a visit whenever she feels like it, and none of them act as though Diana has broken some great law when she comes and go's to the island as she pleases. There's nothing to indicate that another Amazon is forbidden from leaving any time she wants. We only know they have a "no boy's allowed" rule, but maybe some of the mothers who were reluctant to part with their sons opted to just leave, and were allowed to go as long as the penis went with her?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think either of these can be supported with what's on the page, at least in the Azzarello run. He likely doesn't care about Circe, so him considering her as a lurking threat the Amazons dare not cross if they leave home is right out.
    Thing is that if we limit the world to what Azzarello actually wrote, then the story of the raids could be suspected of being nothing but smoke from Hephaestus to explain his servants. Because no Amazon comes forwards to actually confirm they take place. That confirmation came in Demon Knights. Perhaps if Azzarello had kept writing, we'd find out the kids were the male children of the Amazons, but they came about in another way.
    Anyways, my point with Circe was that as we saw in SM/WW, she does keep Amazon captives, out of spite since she didn't get the children-trade with Hippolyta. And with the Amazons knowing this, they wouldn't wander off on groups for the raids and leave themselves vulnurable; on sea they can tell if anyone is coming, which they cant on land.

Thing is that if we limit the world to what Azzarello actually wrote, then the story of the raids could be suspected of being nothing but smoke from Hephaestus to explain his servants. Because no Amazon comes forwards to actually confirm they take place. That confirmation came in Demon Knights. Perhaps if Azzarello had kept writing, we'd find out the kids were the male children of the Amazons, but they came about in another way.
    Anyways, my point with Circe was that as we saw in SM/WW, she does keep Amazon captives, out of spite since she didn't get the children-trade with Hippolyta. And with the Amazons knowing this, they wouldn't wander off on groups for the raids and leave themselves vulnurable; on sea they can tell if anyone is coming, which they cant on land.
    Perhaps but, again, without any actual confirmed contradiction from the Amazons themselves, your hypothetical remains just that, a hypothetical. It's not like Azz couldn't have done what you're saying if he wanted to. He clearly had no problem showing Diana really was a daughter of Zeus. There was no leaving that little detail up to interpretation.

I mean, the people who have negative views on these Amazons aren't pulling them out of thin air. They're basing them on what the author chooses to show. And quite frankly if these women existed in real life I doubt there'd be any questions regarding their attitudes. For instance:

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    There's also a big difference between Amazon soldiers investigating a breach of their security joking about castrating a male invader, and actually killing him.
    I should have responded to this earlier but I didn't really have the time but here goes. You're a guy in a scary, unfamiliar environment but are with a companion who knows the lay of the land and has promised you will not be harmed. Then out of nowhere a female voice talks about castrating you while said companion is standing next to you because she's in charge. Are you really going to take the chance the owner of that voice isn't going to make good on that promise? If Aleka feels so comfortable making such a threat, one that is designed towards invoking a certain type of reaction towards those of thee male gender, in plain view of her princess, what does it say about the type of attitude the Amazons encourage?

Now imagine if the genders were flipped and it was a man threatening a woman with rape. Would there still be no reason for panic?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-07-2016 at 12:20 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Perhaps but, again, without any actual confirmed contradiction from the Amazons themselves, your hypothetical remains just that, a hypothetical. It's not like Azz couldn't have done what you're saying if he wanted to. He clearly had no problem showing Diana really was a daughter of Zeus. There was no leaving that little detail up to interpretation.

I mean, the people who have negative views on these Amazons aren't pulling them out of thin air. They're basing them on what the author chooses to show. And quite frankly if these women existed in real life I doubt there'd be any questions regarding their attitudes. For instance:
    But in Azz's writing, Hephastus' claims are just as hypothetical since we have nothing to say that it's true. Like if we imagined he had been called Loki, would you trust him on this word alone that this was true?
    There wasn't, but then again the situation was different; Strife had personally come down to make that claim and Hippolyta decided it was time to tell Diana the truth. If she had remained silent or denied it, we'd have no reason to believe she was telling the truth unless Diana lassoed her or Hippolyta.

I should have responded to this earlier but I didn't really have the time but here goes. You're a guy in a scary, unfamiliar environment but are with a companion who knows the lay of the land and has promised you will not be harmed. Then out of nowhere a female voice talks about castrating you while said companion is standing next to you because she's in charge. Are you really going to take the chance the owner of that voice isn't going to make good on that promise? If Aleka feels so comfortable making such a threat, one that is designed towards invoking a certain type of reaction towards those of thee male gender, in plain view of her princess, what does it say about the type of attitude the Amazons encourage?

Now imagine if the genders were flipped and it was a man threatening a woman with rape. Would there still be no reason for panic?
    There is the issue that the Amazons issued the threat first and didn't realize on the of people they were addressing were in fact their own princess. Which they only realized after she threatened them back.

Depends on how much faith you put in your companions authority and ability to defend you.

But in Azz's writing, Hephastus' claims are just as hypothetical since we have nothing to say that it's true. Like if we imagined he had been called Loki, would you trust him on this word alone that this was true?
    There wasn't, but then again the situation was different; Strife had personally come down to make that claim and Hippolyta decided it was time to tell Diana the truth. If she had remained silent or denied it, we'd have no reason to believe she was telling the truth unless Diana lassoed her or Hippolyta.

There is the issue that the Amazons issued the threat first and didn't realize on the of people they were addressing were in fact their own princess. Which they only realized after she threatened them back.

Depends on how much faith you put in your companions authority and ability to defend you.
    I don't have my issues handy, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Didn't Hermes essentially remain indoors out of sight of the Amazons because he knew what their reaction would be? I could have sworn he said something to Zola about it being better if he keeps his head down.