View Poll Results: Which elements would you like to see in an Earth-2? (multiple choices allowed)

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • WWII setting

26 28.89%
  • Contemporary setting

38 42.22%
  • First generation still young

31 34.44%
  • First generation already older

28 31.11%
  • Legacy characters

40 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

You know I would personally love a reintroduction of classic earth 2 from the 70’s, but so much of that history and it’s characters into the main universe and I’d hate to take those away.

But I like the idea and the spirit of that, so how about what 5G was supposed to be but edited to an extent or I guess like the Young Justice show. The JSA came first, then the Justice League, then the Titans, then Young Justice, and now can be the age of Damian Wayne Batman, Jon Kent Superman, Andy Curry as Aquawoman, the Tornado Twins, maybe Conner Lance-Queen/Conner Hawke....I’m slightly reaching at this point but you get the idea. Let’s have a world where characters age, time has passed, and we can establish a history and legacy.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'd go with a contemporary setting for Earth-2.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You know I would personally love a reintroduction of classic earth 2 from the 70’s, but so much of that history and it’s characters into the main universe and I’d hate to take those away.

But I like the idea and the spirit of that, so how about what 5G was supposed to be but edited to an extent or I guess like the Young Justice show. The JSA came first, then the Justice League, then the Titans, then Young Justice, and now can be the age of Damian Wayne Batman, Jon Kent Superman, Andy Curry as Aquawoman, the Tornado Twins, maybe Conner Lance-Queen/Conner Hawke....I’m slightly reaching at this point but you get the idea. Let’s have a world where characters age, time has passed, and we can establish a history and legacy.
    Aging up is great...

BUT!!! we will already see Jon Kent as Superman in 5G and DCeased also has Damian and Jon as adults...
    So aging up yes, BUT it should be the age of the Titans of Tomorrow...

Conner as Superman
    Tim as Batman
    Cassie as Wonder Woman
    Raven
    Miss Martian
    Cassandra Cain,Barbara Gordon, Stephanie Brown,.... (BATGIRLS OF FUTURES END)

Conner Kent as ToT Superman is also more interesting, given his Telekinetic Powers..

AND!! it would be AWESOME to see also heroes (RAVERS,TEEN TITANS,YOUNG JUSTICE...) who we saw only for short time: EMPRESS,AURA,etc. etc. etc.

Rare to see a poll with all possible answers receiving so much votes.

Is that because it's really a dividing question? Or people just voting at random?

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

Is that because it's really a dividing question? Or people just voting at random?
    Hopefully my reputation as a JSA fan and inhabitant of these threads will give me some credibility here. JSA fans are fervant in their love for the team, but they often agree on nothing else. I've compared it to ordering pizza. EVERYBODY may want pizza, but it often impossible to decide what will go on it.

That's why you order multiple pizzas!

I voted for young first generation, contemporary setting. I imagine something like First Wave, but with more JSA characters than just Batman. Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Superman, etc. all based more specifically on their Golden Age selves. Less of the Stately Justice Society, and more of a deliberate dissonance with how the JLA feels. Superman is a passionate, socially conscious roughneck who can't fly, Wonder Woman inhabits this weird feminist bondage space where she exalts the ideal of loving submission, the 'Bat-Man' is a gun-toting gentleman adventurer, Green Lantern is an eerie, spooky, supernatural character, Flash is exactly the same but he wears that Mercury helmet, because as far as I can tell Flash was pretty much ahead of the curve regarding the Silver Age style. You get the idea.

And then just... see how they play off each other.

I'm not saying this would sell, or that it's the best way to get a JSA series off the ground. In fact over time, the ideas that the JSA has been associated with have become very much removed from these concepts.

But I've always been interested in the fundamental, basic idea of Earth 2 as a place based less on the real Golden Age than on trying to recreate the Golden Age from folk memory, and make it very different from the present. I think a younger, more rough-around-the-edges version of Earth 2 would be a really interesting way to do that - and probably more accurate than the historical Earth 2 was to begin with.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Hopefully my reputation as a JSA fan and inhabitant of these threads will give me some credibility here. JSA fans are fervant in their love for the team, but they often agree on nothing else. I've compared it to ordering pizza. EVERYBODY may want pizza, but it often impossible to decide what will go on it.
    I want the hot wings...

Ultimate Member

I like to have cake and eat it too, so I want both a WWII set group of the originals, back in their prime, for at least a maxi-series to set things up *and* a book set in more modern times with the older generation appropriately older, more elder statesmen than active heroes, and with legacy heroes taking up the good fight.

So yes to 'WWII setting' and 'First generation still young' and then a separate book with 'Contemporary setting', 'First generation already older' and 'legacy heroes.'

But I would not really be into a 'First generation still young' combined with a 'Contemporary setting.'

Boisterously Confused

I found it tough to pick, with my choice being only inches ahead of most of the others.

I've said it elsewhere, but will repeat it: E2 provides DC with the opportunity to do something like Astro City now that title has folded. It provides you with a title where the fabric of the environment can be the focus instead of the individual characters. Certainly, the stories have to be about characters, but E2 would allow a writer to jump around in time and play with all kinds of character-toys. It lets you have a character that's a creature of their time (like Ditko's Question or Captain Atom) as well as having room for legacy characters coming into their own.

You could even do very modern takes on superheroes. So what if they're clearly going to be dated in five years. The whole scheme would be to keep creating/recreating characters that fit the times as they pass.

Extraordinary Member

No, it's because there's a lot of people who are wrong, and then there's me, the one who is right.

That right BTW would include a contemporary retro-future design, slightly older, maybe in their 40s and 50s elder statesmen of the JSA, (Alan, Jay, Ted, Carter, Kent...with maybe Terry Sloan as a bit younger type closer to the nu52 depiction, but not the bad guy like he was, and Corrigan), the younger generation, (Power Girl, Huntress, Nightwing, Holt as the new Mr. Terrific, Stargirl, Cyclone, Hourman (Rick), and Doc Midnite. And teams like the Challengers of the Unknown, Metal Men, and others, along with unaffiliated heroes like an E2 Aquaman, GA and Black Canary, the Ray and a few others. And the Trinity would still be there, not aged like they're typically shown, but rather of indeterminate age save for Batman, who should be in his 30s and not have been around as long as Superman and WW. They wouldn't be an ongoing part of the JSA, but would still occasionally work with them, or with the solo heroes.

My version of Earth 2 would have a Silver Age vibe, with all the optimism and hope of the best of that era. And yes, my JSA would have them punching giant robot Nazi talking gorillas in the face.

I'd probably do Earth 2 as a period piece. In the 1940s they formed because of WW2 and in the 1970s they reformed again to stop the Apokolips invasion (or insert threat of your choosing).

If there’s going to be a parallel world, I’d want to see something fresh. I’d want this Earth to be nothing like the regular comics. I don’t know much about what these worlds were like before but if it’s just an older or younger version of Batman, then that’s not very interesting. I’d want something really different. Maybe more grounded origins like the Ultimates. Superman isn’t an alien but has powers connected to science.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    None of the above. Just a parallel world with different people in it, that doesn't get an ongoing and that doesn't have the Justice Society. And that gets used very SPARINGLY.
    Im way behind but im collecting and reading through dozens of new 52 earth 2 trades.

I'm also a big fan of the Earth 2 vol 1-5 and Convergence stories...

Plus PG exists in these stories and she's a big reason I'm following it.

If PG were to be in current publication of Earth 2... I'd collect. Granted Id collect her in a solo or any other book.

I loved Thomas Wayne as a drug addicted Batman in the Earth 2 stories...

Personally I like a lot of options and enjoy bouncing around following different stories including exploring the greater variety using the multiverse offers...

Im working completing my Omnibus collection of Geoff Johns 3 volume Omnibus run of the JSA...

Astonishing Member

An alternate present with a 1940s-ish vibe. Think Batman: The Animated Series.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'd probably do Earth 2 as a period piece. In the 1940s they formed because of WW2 and in the 1970s they reformed again to stop the Apokolips invasion (or insert threat of your choosing).
    Cool idea. I think there are two ways of relaunching Earth-2:
    as a period piece homaging the original or as a contemporary tale about young versions of the originals.
    The second was what Robinson attempted. It did have potential for a while, but they never made that universe as charming or compelling as the previous version.