View Poll Results: Which elements would you like to see in an Earth-2? (multiple choices allowed)

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • WWII setting

26 28.89%
  • Contemporary setting

38 42.22%
  • First generation still young

31 34.44%
  • First generation already older

28 31.11%
  • Legacy characters

40 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I've got no problem with Earth 2. I just don't want a JSA ongoing set there. To say that that's not a good idea is not "trolling." But hey, if you and a few other people are determined to go to the mat for that, then do it. But if that happens, and it tanks, remember that you were told loud and clear ahead of time that it was a bad idea. Because I'll remember it.
    Remind us Again how you are not trolling......

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Remind us Again how you are not trolling......
    At this point, the only thing left is ignore

BANNED

Ideal: The one Robinson launched before it all went to Apokolips in a handbasket.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    There's no reason to think that any sort of an Earth 2 ongoing will sell. Don't waste bandwidth on it, and especially don't waste the JSA on it.
    And yet, using Diamond's orders for comic books here in the U.S., the monthly Top 300 comic Books lists show:
    Nov. 2015 - 112th - Earth 2 Society #6 - 21,948 copies
    Oct. 2015 - 93rd - Earth 2 Society #5 - 23,459 copies
    Sept. 2015 - 82nd - Earth 2 Society #4 - 25,443 copies
    Aug. 2015 - 75th - Earth 2 Society #3 - 28,381 copies

And this is for a title that many people constantly bitch about in terms of writing and art.

Now, if DC actually presented an Earth 2 book with a concept fans liked and had a decent artist and writer (and an editorial change from present), who's to say it wouldn't have decent sales? Hell, that mess with Tin-Can-Alan-Scott just prior to Flashpoint was still pulling in decent numbers!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

A repository for all the legacy guys that don't quite fit anymore with some bits from both classic Earth-Two and Generations, with the Justice Society Infinity composed of Knight-Wing (grandson of Superman and Batman), Fury, Power Woman, Batman III (Bruce Wayne Jr.), Flash V (Jay West), Green Lantern (Alan Scott), Obsidian, Jade, Hawkwoman, Stargirl, Red Arrow, Hourman, Wildcat and a second Steel, with a gray-templed Superman sometimes visiting from his travels in space. There wouldn't be any idea of these being the 'original' versions of the characters as in the original Earth-Two; in my ideal Multiverse that this would be a part of, the original Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman all live on Earth-1.
    Buh-bye

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

i just want the original earth 2 back! retaining most of its history intact, with most of the original JSAers (and JSA villains) alive, active, retaining their youth thanks to Karkulls radiations and fighting alongside the Infinitors.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And yet, using Diamond's orders for comic books here in the U.S., the monthly Top 300 comic Books lists show:
    Nov. 2015 - 112th - Earth 2 Society #6 - 21,948 copies
    Oct. 2015 - 93rd - Earth 2 Society #5 - 23,459 copies
    Sept. 2015 - 82nd - Earth 2 Society #4 - 25,443 copies
    Aug. 2015 - 75th - Earth 2 Society #3 - 28,381 copies

And this is for a title that many people constantly bitch about in terms of writing and art.

Now, if DC actually presented an Earth 2 book with a concept fans liked and had a decent artist and writer (and an editorial change from present), who's to say it wouldn't have decent sales? Hell, that mess with Tin-Can-Alan-Scott just prior to Flashpoint was still pulling in decent numbers!

That thing looks SUPER uncomfortable!

BANNED

Something that appeals to new fans. I noticed that New 52 haters and the "Get off my lawn" types are always like: Me! Me! Me! Me! Not everything should be catered to them. Now for my idea.

Have Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman of Earth 2 become the heroes of WW II. (people are so obsessed with this setting) In the present day, they have all retired.

The arrival of a villain named Per Degaton brings new and YOUNGER heroes into the light:

Alan Scott- He would be a member of the GL Corps, a mystical police force that protects the world against supernatural threats.

Jay Garrick- Would receive his powers from the god known as Mercury. Him and his wife Joan adopted a girl named Jessica. (Yep that Jessica)

Hawkgirl/Kendra Saunders-Amnesiac archaeologist. Owns a museum in Midway City, it actually serves as her HQ.

Wildcat-The oldest member of the group. Angry, impulsive but yet caring. I'd make him the Wolverine of the group.

Power Girl

Doctor Mid-Nite: I will use the Beth Chapel version. She wouldn't consider herself a superhero, health science is her first love, busting skulls is second.

Hourman: Rick Tyler, the world's youngest billionaire becomes a superhero after creating a drug named Miraclo. On the team for his self-serving needs.

Amazing Man-Will Everett developed the power to mimic any property after an accident in Star Labs.

That's my JSA group. There will be other heroes in that universe as well like Crimson Avenger, Dan Garrett, Huntress, Red Arrow, Atom, Jonni Thunder, etc. But they won't be apart of the JSA. I'll do more later.

I'm not a fan of what Wilson did to Earth 2 but I do believe it's still salvageable without a complete reboot. It still has plenty of ingredients to make a great book. Hopefully if Mr. Abnett can focus on character and world building in a creative and fun way, this series can get back on track.

Here's hoping the 13th will breathe some much needed life into this book.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    I'm not a fan of what Wilson did to Earth 2 but I do believe it's still salvageable without a complete reboot. It still has plenty of ingredients to make a great book. Hopefully if Mr. Abnett can focus on character and world building in a creative and fun way, this series can get back on track.

Here's hoping the 13th will breathe some much needed life into this book.
    I think it's tough for old school JSA fans to appreciate the current setting and status quo of Earth 2: Society. It's also tough for we old school fans to differentiate the Status Quo from the amateurish, horrible, generally terrible work done by the creative team.

Personally, I could live with a well written, adequately drawn version of the current Society book. I'd rather see a version of pre-COIE Earth 2 with an older JSA and a younger set of heroes Infinity, Inc. My dream would be to see this current setting done with quality and bit of Vertogoesque more adult themes as in storytelling, more social issues, and fewer mindless costume fights. A six issue mini of JSA/Earth 2 where the current Society heroes meet their counterparts from anoither universe.

Yeah, I want both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I'll decide what I will or won't waste bandwidth on, thank you very much.
    I finally sought out the ignore list function. What a relief to no longer have to read the same thing over and over from the same poster.

Quote Originally Posted by dr-brainwave View Post
    i just want the original earth 2 back! retaining most of its history intact, with most of the original JSAers (and JSA villains) alive, active, retaining their youth thanks to Karkulls radiations and fighting alongside the Infinitors.

God I miss this team. Did Murphy Anderson draw this? Looks like his work. I wholeheartedly agree with you. I'd add in Johns' additions to the team though. Basically I'd take what Johns did and meld it with the Roy Thomas version of Earth Two. The original heroes would be older and Infinity Inc and other legacies provide for a younger generation of heroes. And I want my annual JL/JSA team-ups back! I never enjoyed anything in comics as much as I always did that inevitable splash page where the two teams made small talk.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I think it's tough for old school JSA fans to appreciate the current setting and status quo of Earth 2: Society. It's also tough for we old school fans to differentiate the Status Quo from the amateurish, horrible, generally terrible work done by the creative team.

Personally, I could live with a well written, adequately drawn version of the current Society book. I'd rather see a version of pre-COIE Earth 2 with an older JSA and a younger set of heroes Infinity, Inc. My dream would be to see this current setting done with quality and bit of Vertogoesque more adult themes as in storytelling, more social issues, and fewer mindless costume fights. A six issue mini of JSA/Earth 2 where the current Society heroes meet their counterparts from anoither universe.

Yeah, I want both.
    If the current Earth 2 can get out of this whole "burn everything down" funk it's been in then it could have the chance to actually explore different stories. Who knows, there's a chance they could meet their counterparts seeing as how pre52 supes is around.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

BANNED

Alan going back to having a magical ring and none of this Avatar of the Green rather focus on the Star Heart.

Less Superman and Batman more JSA focus.

I don't mind a younger JSA but keep the focus on actual JSA members like why the hell kill Wildcat..

Astonishing Member

Pretty much all the options offered.

Earth-2 would be a world where Superman debuted before World War II. His presence ignited a movement with people like Batman, Jay Garrick, Hawkman, etc also appearing along with powerful villains. This led to the eventual formation of groups like the Justice Society and the Law's Legionnaires. Except for the occasional untold tale the history of this time was largely related by the comics DC published in the 1940's.

As the 1940's wound down the heroes by and large vanished. Nearly a decade of fighting the good fight had led some to burnout and hang up their costumes. Others were moved to do the same by changes in their lives like acquiring a family. Still others died or suffered injuries that left them unable to continue. The final blow came in the early 1950's when the JSA were brought before a Congressional committee looking to co-opt them. In the aftermath of this with a few notable exceptions (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman) heroes became less public if they operated at all.

This lasted nearly a decade until a series of events including the threat of Vandal Savage began a superhero renaissance with many of the JSA (who found that for unknown reasons they were still nearly as vital as they'd been when they retired) coming out of retirement. Alongside the JSA there were new heroes cropping up like the unpowered Blue Beetle who had assumed the name of a vanished 1940's powered hero, the government endorsed Captain Atom and even a new team called the Doom Patrol. As the 1960's came to a close the JSA were even joined by a team composed of their own heirs calling themselves first the Teen Titans and later the Justice League (Golden Eagle, Wonder Girl, the 2nd Robin. Jesse Quick ...)

The 1970's would have seen the death of the 1st Black Canary and her husband followed by the debut of the second Black canary with her sonic scream. The return of the time-lost Seven Soldiers followed by the debut of Superman's cousin, Power Girl, gave the JSA teo new members (the first since 1951) but also caused some friction with the league who felt they had been snubbed by not being offered membership themselves. More deaths followed including that of the original Batman (a fact never revealed to the public) and Mister Terrific.

The 1980's would see the loss of Superman and the second Batman (Dick Grayson) in the second Crisis, but also the debut of some 3rd generation heroes like the grandson of Commander Steel, a Latino female Wildcat, a new Starman (Will Payton)..

By 2016 you'd have a world where you could launch a new title focusing on a world where most of DC's prior stories occurred but with the writer not tied to sliding timescales or trying to keep everything in the present. Want a classic JSA line-up just set your tale in the 1940's or early 1960's. Miss Wally West- then work him in with a few minor tweaks (just to keep him from confusion with the guy in the new 52) and tie him to the legacy of Jay Garrick rather than Barry Allen. Want a re-imagined modern day take on a hero- then tell your tale in 2016 but just have the new hero acknowledge he is taking a page from the past.