Default Bart Allen as The Flash

I've read that Bart's Flash book wasn't that good. What was so bad about it?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

It was alright, it just didn't have any direction. It was an older Bart who was sad that he was the only one of the speedsters (aside from Jay) who was around since Infinite Crisis. He battles a new character called The Griffin, has some run-ins with Inertia, has an almost-romance with STAR Labs scientist Valerie Perez, and fights the rogues at the end of it.

Interesting chapter in the Flash saga, and I respected Bart as the Flash, but the writing suffered from no clear objective. They claimed they wanted to establish him as THE Flash, only to kill him after 13 issues. And the best things about Bart-his humor, his impulsiveness, his relationships-had been totally removed. Worth picking up if you particularly love Bart, but not anything special or essential.

BANNED

I was wondering about Bart Allen's time as The Flash myself. Heard a lot of hate for it, but then again fanboys tend to exaggerate. I like Bart, so i'll have to check it out eventually.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    It was not really about Bart.

Or the Flash.

Still, it was far from the "worst Flash book ever". (hard to top Venditti or Johns second run).

AFAIK, that book was supposed to be a placeholder run until Barry returned (which didn't work, so they ended it early), and that also shows.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    I was wondering about Bart Allen's time as The Flash myself. Heard a lot of hate for it, but then again fanboys tend to exaggerate. I like Bart, so i'll have to check it out eventually.
    The fact that he was eventually brought back as his proper Kid Flash self makes it easier to swallow in hindsight. I wouldn't say there's a lot to hate in that run with that in mind, just nothing to love either.

BANNED

Really isn't bad at all just not a must get.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

There was no need to "age him up". Would have been far more interesting as a book about Kid Flash, still a kid, suddenly having to be THE Flash.

Plus, that way he could just go back to being Kid Flash when Barry returned.

Killing him was disgusting.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Absolutely nothing was wrong with it.DC fans in some cases have a hard time with any aging of characters they grew up with. I just recently found issues 1-12 and enjoyed it.I don't have the last issue but I suspect it was editorials way of flipping the bird to the Negative Nelly's who are partly responsible for the spiral downward the DC print division is in right now. When reading DC just enjoy the books on your own terms.