Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

[
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    That is what it's about.

The ring itself implicitly ignores that "equipment" and chooses based on their individual willpower.
    Well, yeah, because Green Lantern level will power is rare in any species. And mental abilities are indeed what it takes to wield a Green Lantern ring, not to mention you need to also have the personality to be a good space cop. And it's not like Kryptonian level aliens are that common, either. You do actually need to go pretty far up the power scale before natural abilities even become relevant to the power level you can get from a Green Lantern.

That doesn't change the fact that those Lanerns who have had superhuman abilities use them to great effect in tandem with the ring, if they have the stuff to be a good Lantern already.
    Mongul may have been a class 100 brick, but he was also an alien space tyrant who held multiple planets under his control, and used to hold televised gladiatorial combat where he would crush enemies to increase the terror his subjects felt for him. Dude had the fear mastery to wield a yellow ring down pat, and then used the rings to enhance his natural strength to the point where he could crush guys like Sinestro one on one.

I'm not sure why it's controversial to say that having biological advantages can lend itself to being a superior overall combatant with a ring, if mental abilities are otherwise equal. This is common sense and born out by the comics. But hey, I've only got 30+ years of comic book canon on my side with that assertion, grounded in another 80 years of sci-fi stories that gave birth to the Green Lantern mythos. You've got... what again?

Quote Originally Posted by Holacik View Post
    Yeah, read up on Lanterns some more before you post again!
    lolololol, right? I just can't even.

Guicho is forcing me to resort to the memes of a 14 year old here, but I just can't even.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    [

Well, yeah, because Green Lantern level will power is rare in any species. And mental abilities are indeed what it takes to wield a Green Lantern ring, not to mention you need to also have the personality to be a good space cop. And it's not like Kryptonian level aliens are that common, either. You do actually need to go pretty far up the power scale before natural abilities even become relevant to the power level you can get from a Green Lantern.

That doesn't change the fact that those Lanerns who have had superhuman abilities use them to great effect in tandem with the ring, if they have the stuff to be a good Lantern already.
    Mongul may have been a class 100 brick, but he was also an alien space tyrant who held multiple planets under his control, and used to hold televised gladiatorial combat where he would crush enemies to increase the terror his subjects felt for him. Dude had the fear mastery to wield a yellow ring down pat, and then used the rings to enhance his natural strength to the point where he could crush guys like Sinestro one on one.

I'm not sure why it's controversial to say that having biological advantages can lend itself to being a superior overall combatant with a ring, if mental abilities are otherwise equal. This is common sense and born out by the comics. But hey, I've only got 30+ years of comic book canon on my side with that assertion, grounded in another 80 years of sci-fi stories that gave birth to the Green Lantern mythos. You've got... what again?
    Well to be fair, Mongul read the entire manual on the thing, and not to many people actually do that. That contributed a great deal to his effectiveness with it.

You do actually need to go pretty far up the power scale before natural abilities even become relevant to the power level you can get from a Green Lantern.
    You need sentience. what physical "shape" it comes in it ignores, what it recognizes and channels is the will power of that sentient being.
    Stronger, faster body, does not mean stronger will power.
    The Ring bypases those phisical atributes and goes straight to the WILL of the user.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-04-2016 at 04:32 PM.

That is what it's about, no matter the size, we had Xax saying it before Yoda existed.

The ring itself implicitly ignores that "equipment" and chooses based on their individual willpower.
    Better eyesight you mention is meaningless to the ring, as it can choose someone blind, you like to cite Moore, he came up with a Lantern who was blind so the ring channeled sound instead.
    What mattered was the beings power of will, not physical attributes.
    The ring adapts to the wielder physiology/equipment, big, small, is irrelevant, what it channels is their will.
    Yes they use it differently as they should, and it manifests differently not only for different species, but for different individuals within a species.
    But what it's recognizing in them and channeling is their will.
    Bro, you wanna talk Rot Lap Fan and say biology is irrelevant? The entire point of that story line was that he didn't have the equipment to use a ring by default, because his species had no concept of light. It took an extended coaching session with an established Lantern to "hack" a work around for the guy. The fact that they got a work around doesn't make biology irrelevant. It just means that they can come up with a work around.

Everyone understands that the ring channels their will dude. And that having better eye sight doesn't necessarily mean you are better at channeling your will. But you are being obtuse if you simply ignore every single instance of Lanterns using their biology to gain advantage over other Lanterns. Theoretically, if you had ENOUGH will power, you could overcome any biological advantage. But there's an upper limit to what we have seen accomplished by with a Lantern ring, and we haven't seen someone with reality warping level will like Lucifer Morningstar try on a ring.

I can't believe I'm having to restate this example, but... no one is arguing that "Hal Jordan's brain in Superman's Body" would make a stronger force field construct than normal Hal Jordan, or could contain a super nova better with it or whatever. What I am pointing out is that much like a normal human Hal Jordan can amp his strength to the point where he can punch out class 100s, a Kyptonian could amp his already formidable strength to an even higher level than before, and utilize his Kryptonian speed to deploy the ring faster.

Why do you think that this is wrong? Do you think that the power of a GL ring is so limitless, that it just renders every Lantern equal to each other regardless of will power AND biology? Do you think that if you gave Galactus a green lantern ring and told him to fight Hal Jordan, all abilities in play, that Galactus would even care about the ring and wouldn't just waste Hal based on being staggeringly more powerful than anything a lone ring has ever done? Because this seems to be the conclusions that your reasoning leads to. I literally have no idea what you are even trying to argue here.

EDIT: Or am I just straight getting trolled here. I think I must be getting trolled.

Well to be fair, Mongul read the entire manual on the thing, and not to many people actually do that. That contributed a great deal to his effectiveness with it.
    Sure, but you know who else knows the manual? Freaking Sinestro, the guy built the Corps, including building failsafes into the ring.

Do you think that the power of a GL ring is so limitless, that it just renders every Lantern equal to each other regardless of will power AND biology?
    No, just regardless of biology.

The Ring bypases those phisical atributes, recognizes and channels straight from the WILL of the user.
    It doesn't matter how fast or far a neuron travels across your brain to make your arm move.
    The ring bypasses that and goes straight to what you willed so it doesn't even mater if you have an arm, or tentacle, or ...

Galactus can crush Jordan under his boot, and Jordan can crush Xax , so what.
    You think the ring recognized or cared what "shape" Xax or Jordan were when it chose them?

It recognizes and channels their Will!
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-04-2016 at 04:53 PM.

The Ring bypases those phisical atributes and goes straight to the WILL of the user.
    Yes, the ring broadly does. But the user still has their physical attributes as well.

Who would win - a guy with a sword who has spent six years learning to fence, or an otherwise-identical dude with the same equipment and training but who is sat inside a tank? I'm betting on the latter. Sodam Yat's body was that tank in question.

Sure, but you know who else knows the manual? Freaking Sinestro, the guy built the Corps, including building failsafes into the ring.
    Let me take a step back, I don't disagree with the fact that Mongul's stats assisted in him being a beast with a ring (or 10) just that him knowing the full capacity of the ring helped as well. and Sinestro totally cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Yes, the ring broadly does. But the user still has their physical attributes as well.
    Which the ring ignores, it recognizes and channels their will power.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Who would win - a guy with a sword who has spent six years learning to fence, or an otherwise-identical dude with the same equipment and training but who is sat inside a tank? I'm betting on the latter. Sodam Yat's body was that tank in question.
    The ring recognizes and channels will power!

How much will it requires to sit inside a tank, for a human it might be one thing, for a fish like being it might be another.
    That's why the ring ignores the tank.
    And goes straight to the will.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-04-2016 at 04:50 PM.

The Ring bypases those phisical atributes, recognizes and channels straight from the WILL of the user.
    It doesn't matter how fast or far a neuron travels across your brain to make your arm move.
    The ring bypasses that and goes straight to what you willed so it doesn't even mater if you have an arm, or tentacle, or ...

Galactus can crush Jordan under his boot, and Jordan can crush Xax , so what.
    You think the ring recognized or cared what "shape" Xax or Jordan were when it chose them?

It recognizes and channels their Will!
    So, to clarify, do you think a GL ring is so limitless in power that it can overcome anything? That Hal Jordan with a ring is going to overpower Galactus power cosmic? Because that's literally the only way to make sense of what you are saying.

But that's ignoring that the will power of the wielder has ALWAYS been a limiting factor on the ring. Even in the in Pre-Crisis era, this has always been the case. That's why Green Lanterns have lost fights to guys that don't even have rings. And when you run out of will power, that's when other factors start to come into play. Which can include things like imagination, strategy, or the one guy having GL level super powers before they even had the ring.

Let me take a step back, I don't disagree with the fact that Mongul's stats assisted in him being a beast with a ring (or 10) just that him knowing the full capacity of the ring helped as well. and Sinestro totally cheated.
    Well, yeah, but it doesn't undercut my point.

And of COURSE Sinestro cheated, haha.

It's not like anyone here is arguing that if you gave, say, the Rhino a Green Lantern ring and threw him up against Xax or B'zzt, that the Rhino's ability to bench press 80 tons without a ring would let him overcome the incredible advantage in will power that the bug Lanterns have. Heck, I'm not even arguing that Xax in the Rhino's body would do much better than Xax in his normal body, because 80 tons isn't especially relevant when it comes to guys that can shove planets out of orbit.

What everyone is saying is that if you take two equal levels of will power, and then one guy can already bench press planets? That's going to give him an edge if he can turn things into a punch out. And how fast a Green Lantern's neurons fire is relevant, because we know that Green Lanterns can be taken by surprise and their reaction time is a limiting factor. (Unless they are amping up their reaction time with the ring, but that's been displayed as literally increasing the speed their neurons fire, as opposed to simply ignoring their neurons.)

Let me try an analogy.

You: Stats don't matter when determining martial arts skill! Superman isn't better at karate than Captain America!

Us: Sure, but Superman is tougher than Captain America in a fight, and if you gave Superman the skills of Captain America he would beat Captain America. Cap level skills + Supes stats >>> Cap level skills, unless the competition is just based on technical form.

You: What no skills ignore biology, Superman isn't a better fighter

Us: But that's not what we said. Do you think Captain America is going to beat Captain America in Superman's body?

You: lalalalala I'm not responding to that skillz are all that matter

Us:

So, to clarify, do you think a GL ring is so limitless in power that it can overcome anything? That Hal Jordan with a ring is going to overpower Galactus power cosmic? Because that's literally the only way to make sense of what you are saying.
    I never even remotely suggested that.
    The point is maybe it's hard for someone to wield power cosmic, maybe it's easy, power cosmic wielders may be born that way? I don't know.
    What you don't get is, it doesn't matter, if they're wielding power cosmic, have kryptonian biceps, wield a flight controller, an architect's ruler, a paint brush, or an oozie on the end of their nose.
    THAT! Is not what the ring recognizes and channels.
    What the ring recognizes and channels is the WILL implementing those things.

And when you run out of will power, that's when other factors start to come into play.
    When you've actually run out of will power, to even use what you have, ("those other factors") be it power cosmic or a pen, you've lost, regardless of the ring, if you have no will.

Which can include things like imagination, strategy, or the one guy having GL level super powers before they even had the ring.
    Imagination and strategy are useless without the will to implement them.
    I can sit here all day "Imagining" or "picturing" something, but unless I, or someone wills into being, it's not going to happen.
    Equally, I can strategies on how to defeat someone siting in my chair, but unless I or someone wills it into action, my strategy isn't going to maniphest.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-04-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Well, all I know is that the Cthulhu Corpse never took off. Only has one member, and he's just asleep.

Not a typo.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan