Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Default How tough is a power ring equipped Kryptonian?

We have two examples:

Sodom Yat - who was a flop.

Kal with a Yellow Ring who could duke it out with a Guardian.

So if you had a competent Kryptonian level power ring user, what type (short of a high end cosmic - like Galactus or the Spectre) could handle said person.

Sodom Yat was a daxamite, so he had that terrible lead vulnerability, though otherwise he had most of the usual kryptonian yellow sun power set. I don't see how the two powersets would have much synergy. The ring runs off willpower (or whatever emotion for one of the other rings), which isn't an attribute that gets a yellow sun boost. Superhuman speed is nice, but maybe the ring doesn't process commands at that speed, so you just get a highly mobile ringwielder. And the ring effects don't strike me as superior to the kryptonian powers, so any Superman rogue that can handle his speed can probably handle a competent kryptonian power ring user. Most GL villains probably can't deal readily with a super-speed blitz, so they would likely fail.

Injustice Verse?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Injustice Verse?
    How powerful is a Guardian exactly? Can one from post-crisis take on the Supes of post-crisis?
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    How powerful is a Guardian exactly? Can one from post-crisis take on the Supes of post-crisis?
    Almost certainly. Going by narration, they can crack planets in half with a thought. By actual feats, Ganthet took on entire mobs of bloodlusted Green Lanterns while holding back because he didn't want to kill them. Their sustained assault was wearing on him, but he didn't go down until Mogo attacked. He's also waved his hand and transmuted devastated armies and battlefields back to mint condition. The Guardians took it to the Anti-Monitor and were tearing chunks out of his armor and what not. (For scale, the Anti-Monitor was mortally wounded in that story by a galaxy busting explosion going off and being contained over him in a like a block wide radius. Not killed, just mortally wounded.)

I'm not seeing Superman hurting a Guardian, even with the blitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Almost certainly. Going by narration, they can crack planets in half with a thought. By actual feats, Ganthet took on entire mobs of bloodlusted Green Lanterns while holding back because he didn't want to kill them. Their sustained assault was wearing on him, but he didn't go down until Mogo attacked. He's also waved his hand and transmuted devastated armies and battlefields back to mint condition. The Guardians took it to the Anti-Monitor and were tearing chunks out of his armor and what not. (For scale, the Anti-Monitor was mortally wounded in that story by a galaxy busting explosion going off and being contained over him in a like a block wide radius. Not killed, just mortally wounded.)

So...Superboy Prime hurting them and Anti monitor was them all jobbing?
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

So basically killed?

:P
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member

Never forget the entirely confusing dialog between Ganthet and the Spectre saying that a Guardian dwarfs the Spectre and the Spectre dwarfs a Guardian.

So we have a

Green Ring Daxamite
    Red Ring Kryptonian
    Yellow Ring Kryptonian
    Black Ring Kryptonian
    Green Ring - whatever Doomsday was.

Ganthet or someone actually has a feat where he fixes a planet that's been broken by a rookie lantern , casually with a wave of his hand

Also the universe exploded in the Monarch/SBP fight not just the Galaxy

Mxyptlk was weakened by magic being screwed up by the Spectre in Day of Vengence

The guardians were said to be more powerful than Hal Spectre , which they are not, by actual feats . Still because Johns loves GL mythos so much , in GL:Rebirth he had Parallax straight up take over Ganthet because of this (" something even more powerful than the Spectre")

Astonishing Member

I should point out as I know it's come up a bit in the thread here.

Wielding extra power rings does not make you in of itself more powerful. Last I heard the effect in Emerald Twilight was ultimately that having more psyched Hal up as it made him feel more confident resulting in a higher power.

Now one could argue having multiples at least would give you more power to use overall but not at the same time. IE like having spare batteries for your phone extends its usage.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post

Wielding extra power rings does not make you in of itself more powerful. Last I heard the effect in Emerald Twilight was ultimately that having more psyched Hal up as it made him feel more confident resulting in a higher power.

Now one could argue having multiples at least would give you more power to use overall but not at the same time. IE like having spare batteries for your phone extends its usage.
    Yeah. Although up until Rebirth having a spare battery wasn't really relevant, because the ring literally just held a charge for 24 hours. They didn't have a "battery meter" so much as a binary on/off mode.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post

I'd imagine it would depend on whose writing. In the DCUO comics(DCUO is supposed to be identical to the pre-flashpoint universe up till Brainiacs attack), Luthor thought he could beat Brianiac due to having a fistful of Yellow Lantern rings. Brianiac however had 2 handfuls and because of that he overpowered Luthor and co with ease.

So..it really depends more on whose writing the story really.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Sodom Yat was a daxamite, so he had that terrible lead vulnerability, though otherwise he had most of the usual kryptonian yellow sun power set. I don't see how the two powersets would have much synergy. The ring runs off willpower (or whatever emotion for one of the other rings), which isn't an attribute that gets a yellow sun boost. Superhuman speed is nice, but maybe the ring doesn't process commands at that speed, so you just get a highly mobile ringwielder. And the ring effects don't strike me as superior to the kryptonian powers, so any Superman rogue that can handle his speed can probably handle a competent kryptonian power ring user. Most GL villains probably can't deal readily with a super-speed blitz, so they would likely fail.

Actually, we've seen numerous examples of class 100s with rings having their durability stack. We have also seen Green Lanterns with enhanced reaction time pull of intense transmutation stunts within nanoseconds. Plus a couple examples of Flashes using rings at high speeds.

While not strictly Kryptonian, Cyborg Superman with yellow rings beat the crap out of Clark, Doomsday with a GL ring ripped the GLC a new one, and Mongul with rings took on mobs of some of the GLC's best, as well as stomped Sinestro one on one.

A class 100 who is good with a ring is terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    We have two examples:

Sodom Yat - who was a flop.

So if you had a competent Kryptonian level power ring user, what type (short of a high end cosmic - like Galactus or the Spectre) could handle said person.

A class 100 who is good with a ring is terrifying.
    The whole point of the GL Corps ring is physical powers/attributes matters not... It's about mental fear-conquering will-power, no mater how "strong" you are physically.

Jordan expressed it by test flying planes, but Tomar-Re a scientist, Katma Tui a school teacher, Xax an insect being, anyone from the smallest most insignificant could bravely conquer fear, and harness the ring.
    That's it's power.
    If you (including some contemporary writers) are writing super/powerful beings as "better" ring-wielders cause thy have "physical" advantage/superiority, you've completely missed the point of what a Green Lantern is, what the power is, why they are chosen, and how they harness and wield it's power.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-04-2016 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    The whole point of the GL Corps ring is physical powers/attributes matters not... It's about mental fear conquering will power.

Jordan expressed it by test flying planes, but Tomar-Re a scientist, Katma Tui a school teacher, Xax an insect being, anyone from the smallest most insignificant could bravely conquer fear, and harness the ring.
    That's it's power.
    If your writing super/powerful beings as "better" ring-wielders, you've completely missed the point of what Green Lantern is.
    I think you got that backwards