The Claw of Justice!

Default Your Favorite Comics of 2015

What were your favorite comics and creators of 2015? My list:

Best Series: Usagi Yojimbo. There were a lot of great comics this year, but the return of UY has been fantastic.

Best Writer: Tie between Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, and Stan Sakai. Mignola and Arcudi’s work on their collaborations (BPRD, Lobster Johnson, etc.) has been really good this year, and their other books (Hellboy in Hell and Frankenstein Underground for Mignola and Rumble for Arcudi) have been great too. Stan Sakai’s writing work on Usagi Yojimbo this year has been some of the best comic writing I’ve ever seen.

Best Artist: Stan Sakai. While several of my other favorite artists drew some comics this year (Tonci Zonjic drew part of Where is Jake Ellis #5 and Mike Mignola drew two issues and a short story of Hellboy in Hell), but Stan Sakai drew six issues this year (I think), and they were all phenomenal.

Best Issue: Lobster Johnson: The Glass Mantis. There were only two issues of Lobster Johnson this year, but they were both great, especially this one.

Best Cover Artist: Tonci Zonjic. His covers appeared on a few different books this year, including two of his best Lobster Johnson covers yet.

Best Colorist: Dave Stewart. His work appeared in almost every book I read this year.

Best publisher: Dark Horse. Between the Mignolaverse stuff, Usagi Yojimbo, and Harrow County, Dark Horse has published some excellent comics this year.

Best series, for my money, has been Ms Marvel. I simply adore Kamala Khan and can't get enough of her adventures.
    Best Publisher: Valiant. I enjoy pretty much everything they do company wide.
    Best Writer: Tie between James Robinson, G. Willow Wilson and Charles Soule.

Best Series: Imperium
    Best Writer: Joshua Dysart
    Best Artist: Wes Craig
    Best Cover Artist: Mico Suayan
    Best Colorist: David Baron
    Best Publisher: Valiant

Incredible Member

Best Publisher: It's a toss up between Image and Valiant. They are clearly the best publishers out right now, though both are far from perfect. For example, Image is having a real problem trying to figure out the release schedules for several of the books they publish. Valiant, on the other hand, is a major step down from Image when it comes to the cover stock and paper quality of their books (in addition to the ads scattered throughout the story). These are minor issues though compared to the rest of the comic book world.

Most Disappointing Publisher: I hate to be negative, but Archie Comics was so disappointing that I have to call them out on it. They really had some momentum with Afterlife with Archie, Sabrina, and the new Archie relaunch. While the Archie relaunch has been great, Archie really dropped the ball on the other two books. I believe Afterlife only had 1 issue this year and Sabrina 3 issues.

Best Series: If I had to choose one, I guess it would be The Fade Out. No wait! Lazarus. Ok yea, The Fade Out.

Best Writer: Tom King. Everything he's put out has been really good to great. He actually got me to read a DC property that I have never heard of (Omega Men), care about Dick Grayson not as Nightwing (Grayson), and look forward to a middle eastern war-type story (The Sherriff of Babylon).

Best Artist: I'll go with Dustin Nguyen this year. His work on Descender has been so good.

Best Colorist: I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bettie Breitweiser should win this award every year.

The Claw of Justice!

I forgot to add best letterer. I'd also give that to Stan Sakai.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Best Series: East of West. This comic is unbelievable. From the writing to artwork, the story and characters. It's magnificent.

My other favorites for 2015 were: Lazarus, Black Science, Five Ghosts, Invincible, Velvet, Hellboy, BPRD, Buffy & Angel, Marvel's Avengers books, All New X-men v1, Uncanny X-Men v3, Thor, Nova, Ult Spider-Man (Miles), Batman, 'Tec, Grayson, Catwoman, Robin SOB, Justice League, Sandman Overture.

Best Writer: Even though I'm ticked at the delay of Marvel's SW series, Hickman's work on so MANY great books is undeniable. Whether it's his Avengers books culminating in the SW book or East of West, his writing is superb.

Honorable mention: Mignola for his Hellboy and BPRD.

Best Artist: There are so many great artisits, but I love Dragotta's art. It's slick and fits East of West perfectly. Capullo does the same thing on Batman.

Best Issue: There's just no way I could pick only one issue. There were too many fantastic issues in 2015.

Best Colorist: Frank Martin for his work on East of West.

Best publisher: This one is tough. They all put out so many quality, great books that it's hard to pick only one. I'm tempted to go with DH, but then I think about everything that Image puts out and it's unbelievable. Marvel and DC haven't been as good as they have in the past, but they're still good. To me, it really comes down to DH or Image. If Mignola was churning out Hellboy faster than what he is, I would give it to DH, but he's not, so I'm going with Image.[/QUOTE]
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

All-New Member

Best Series: Usagi Yojimbo
    Best Writer: Stan Sakai
    Best Artist: Stan Sakai
    Best Cover Artist: Stan Sakai
    Best Colorist: Tom Luth
    Best Publisher: Dark Horse

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    Most Disappointing Publisher: I hate to be negative, but Archie Comics was so disappointing that I have to call them out on it. They really had some momentum with Afterlife with Archie, Sabrina, and the new Archie relaunch. While the Archie relaunch has been great, Archie really dropped the ball on the other two books. I believe Afterlife only had 1 issue this year and Sabrina 3 issues.
    I like to be negative so I'll agree that Sabrina & Afterlife with Archie did disappoint me greatly by not giving us more greatness like those 2 books. Actually I don't care for Archie stuff at all but those were straight up horror books, and I love me some horror.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I think Bitch Planet was the best thing to come out in 2015. Not just best debut (well, December 2014), but best comic period.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Casanova and Hellboy in Hell. There was nothing like either of those books on the stands.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Ms. Marvel, Thor, Captain America, Midnighter . . . .

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I did a Top 30 list for my favorite comics of 2015, which can be found here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3

For a quicker breakdown:
    30. Paper Girls
    29. Starfire
    28. Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
    27. Slash & Burn
    26. Komomo Confiserie
    25. Wytches
    24. Tokyo Ghoul
    23. Birthright
    22. Robin: Son of Batman
    21. Food Wars!
    20. Black Canary
    19. Sunstone Vol. 2-3
    18. World Trigger
    17. Manifest Destiny
    16. Chew
    15. Revival
    14. Batman
    13. Gangsta.
    12. Lazarus
    11. Descender
    10. Southern Bastards
    9. Batgirl
    8. Assassination Classroom
    7. A Silent Voice
    6. Ms. Marvel
    5. March Book Two
    4. Outcast
    3. Prez
    2. Grayson
    1. My Hero Academia

BANNED

Best Series: Martian Manhunter, Spider-Gwen, Omega Men, Unity, Invincible Iron Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Superman: American Alien
    Best Writer: Cross between Cullen Bunn and Greg Pak
    Best Artist: Jason Fabok
    Best Publisher: Marvel
    Best single issue: Green Lantern DW by King and Shaner. Beautifully written and drawn.

I cut way back what I bought in 2015, bit of what I did get...

Best Writer: Ed Brubaker
    runner up: Greg Rucka
    Honorable mentions Warren Ellis, Jason Aaron

Best artist: Darwyn Cooke
    runner up: Chris Mooneyham
    Honorable mentions: Sean Phillips, Benjamin Dewey, Steve Epting, Michael Lark, Declan Shalvey

Best Series: Lazarus
    runner up: Southern Bastards
    Honorable Mentions: Autumnlands, The Fade Out

Best Debut: Descender
    Runner up: Twilight Children
    Honorable Mention: Injection, Black Magick

Best single issue: Elric Vol. 2 Stormbringer OGN (Titan)
    runner up Heavy Metal #276 (Kirby Lords of Light issue)

Best Publisher: Image

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 01-06-2016 at 11:59 PM.