Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Has Marvel Studios spoiled us comic fans? Are they Overrated?

I grew up a Marvel fan more then DC. Reason is because I never understood the Gods Among us mentality until later in life, but I still had a fascination with the mythology of the universe even though never understood it. Only things I watched were Batman, Superman, Justice League and Static Shock. So I never was a hater at all. But, Marvel was more my thing.

Later in life, The MCU exploded with wondrous success, which made me not only to be proud to be a Marvel fan, but a comic on as well. I was so happy that it DC off its ass to trust their heroes and experiment with them and with New WB CEO Kevin Tsujihara we were in for some good competition. But, over the Phase 2 Marvel movies, I've seen some lackluster attempts by Marvel minus Winter Soldier and Guardians but, fanboys still praise them as the pinnacle of CBM's and not giving anyone else like DC or Fox the recognition. DC has one movie that had mixed review and upcoming movies which has hyped me up. Seriously, nothing can be Spider-man 3 bad to me.

I'm tired of people giving Marvel credit for almost everything they do and not calling out on their faults. The more people talk about how the DCEU is crap the more it makes me sick to be a Marvel fan and root for DC more. It ruins my enjoyment for both.

I want good competition from both of them. Hollywood could just ban superhero movies together and then we won't have any to complain about. MCU used to be awesome, now I'm starting to question it. I still looking forward to Black Panther and Dr. Strange though.

Eh.

I am afraid that oversaturation will kill the momentum.

Disney really needs to tone it down some.

Next 20 years will be Marvel this, and Star Wars that. Nothing else will exist.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

It won't take 20 years for people to be bored, even with Star Wars.

You new here?

Every MCU or DCEU thread turns into the same tired arguments for and against marvel and DC. Some people on the same sides saying the same things. Fan boys are going to fan boy. That is just what they do.

Enjoy the movies or don't. Worrying about fan boys is a waste of time.

But, to counter some of your arguments...

But, over the Phase 2 Marvel movies, I've seen some lackluster attempts by Marvel minus Winter Soldier and Guardians
    Phase 2 consisted of IM3, Thor2, Cap2, Guardians, AoU, and Ant-Man. By every single measure, other than forum fighting and fan boys, Phase 2 was a crazy success. They took 2 unknown properties (Gog, AntMan) and made them popular enough to warrant a sequel. IM3 and AoU made over a billion. Cap2 is considered one of the better CBM ever and was so good the Russo's got control over two of the biggest MCU story lines ever (CW and Infinity War). And Thor2, while definitely not a lot of peoples cup of tea, still made a lot of money and is still rated above average.

Let us please not act like Marvel pushed out Ghost Rider 2 and Spider-Man 3 lol.

fanboys still praise them as the pinnacle of CBM's and not giving anyone else like DC or Fox the recognition
    That is because they have churned out 10+ quality movies and created a shared universe that a lot of movie franchises (right or wrong) are trying to copy right now.

The "new" DC universe isn't even a freaking universe yet. It is one movie that is very decisive among critics and internet fanboys. There isn't anything to compare at the moment. They are taking a very different approach to Marvel and it may end up being a better approach. Or it could be a mess. Who knows because it hasn't taken off yet. Give it 5 movies and we may say, "hey, being super cohesive and having super control over movies is a great thing!" or we may go, "hey, giving directors a lot more freedom is a great thing!" Or, it may be that they both work. Gonna be awhile before we figure that out.

And Fox is just... kinda odd. There movies have been pretty damn good but they **** the bed with Last Stand and Origins and just basically wiped out their established universe in DoFP. When the own studios makes a movie just to undo stuff that is... odd. But I really, really like 5 of their movies. But they just seem to get overshadowed by the Marvel machine and the iconicness of Batman/Superman.

I'm tired of people giving Marvel credit for almost everything they do and not calling out on their faults. The more people talk about how the DCEU is crap the more it makes me sick to be a Marvel fan and root for DC more. It ruins my enjoyment for both.
    then get out of those "places."
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Fanboys gonna fanboy. Brand wars are the most childish thing, however Marvel, as well as WB/Fox, need competition to put out a good product. At the end of the day it's a great time to be a comic book fan. Let's just hope Marvel won't let the success go to their heads and screw everything up.

Well, the only movie of DC that i dont like is the Man of Steel; and out of FOX's, it's The Last Stand and Wolverine: Origins (mostly because of the Merc without a mouth).

Quote Originally Posted by comicbookbeard View Post
    Eh.

I am afraid that oversaturation will kill the momentum.

Disney really needs to tone it down some.

Next 20 years will be Marvel this, and Star Wars that. Nothing else will exist.
    Well, i dont see anything wrong with that....................................

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    It won't take 20 years for people to be bored, even with Star Wars.
    Well, that's what people has been saying since Iron Man 1 came out...............................................
    Last edited by dragonmp93; 01-04-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, that's what people has been saying Iron Man 1 came out...............................................
    That was when? 2008? so it hasn't been 7/8 years and people are taking about people started taking the films for granted and worried about an oversaturated market yet you are talking about 20 years from now?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, the only movie of DC that i dont like is the Man of Steel; and out of FOX's, it's The Last Stand and Wolverine: Origins (mostly because of the Merc without a mouth).

Well, i dont see anything wrong with that....................................
    Yea. I am stuck in the middle. Do i hate it, or love it? :P

It's weird though. I enjoy the movies now, more than the comics. Since the movies are characters I grew up with, being focused on. While the comics are focusing on teen bopper characters.

That was when? 2008? so it hasn't been 7/8 years and people are taking about people started taking the films for granted and worried about an oversaturated market yet you are talking about 20 years from now?
    Besides that they have been saying that The Avengers/Iron Man 3/Thor: The Dark World/Captain America: The Winter Soldier/Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers: Age of Ultron/Ant-Man will be the first Marvel's bomb and that it will cause the bubble to burst..................................

Maybe it has started with the FF bombing at the box office and with fans? Yeah I know different studios but most cinema goers don't know (or don't care) about that and might just think, still marvel characters and still superheroes in general.

I have this sinking feeling that Marvel is gonna have a franchise that won't click with the GA or critics. Just like Pixar, Marvel WILL have a dud. They are not flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandacrystal22 View Post
    I have this sinking feeling that Marvel is gonna have a franchise that won't click with the GA or critics. Just like Pixar, Marvel WILL have a dud. They are not flawless.
    I'm gonna have to agree with you on this. Nobody is immune to failure. But IMO Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 were their duds.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandacrystal22 View Post
    Inhumans?

I expect the hype bubble to burst after Infinity War.

Maybe it has started with the FF bombing at the box office and with fans? Yeah I know different studios but most cinema goers don't know (or don't care) about that and might just think, still marvel characters and still superheroes in general.
    It hasn't, even if FF was a generic scifi movie it would have bombed. It just sucked.

On topic though, I don't think Marvel have spoiled us, they just know how to treat their characters. I'm sure that DC do as well and that will be shown in their Cinematic Universe. We will be spoilt over the next decade, and then in the mid 2020's I think we will see the last comicbook movies for some years.
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough