Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Also, I LIKED Man of Steel. It was a very good movie not perfect, but VERY GOOD. So it's possible for a Marvel fan to like DC stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandacrystal22 View Post
    Also, I LIKED Man of Steel. It was a very good movie not perfect, but VERY GOOD. So it's possible for a Marvel fan to like DC stuff.

I have this sinking feeling that Marvel is gonna have a franchise that won't click with the GA or critics. Just like Pixar, Marvel WILL have a dud. They are not flawless.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I'm gonna have to agree with you on this. Nobody is immune to failure. But IMO Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 were their duds.
    IM2 RT 72%, 6.5/10, 72% audience liked, lots of money made

Thor2 RT 66%, 6.2/10, 78% audience liked, lots of money made

There is a difference between "duds" and "not as good as the others"
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

I grew up a Marvel fan more then DC. Reason is because I never understood the Gods Among us mentality until later in life, but I still had a fascination with the mythology of the universe even though never understood it. Only things I watched were Batman, Superman, Justice League and Static Shock. So I never was a hater at all. But, Marvel was more my thing.

Later in life, The MCU exploded with wondrous success, which made me not only to be proud to be a Marvel fan, but a comic on as well. I was so happy that it DC off its ass to trust their heroes and experiment with them and with New WB CEO Kevin Tsujihara we were in for some good competition. But, over the Phase 2 Marvel movies, I've seen some lackluster attempts by Marvel minus Winter Soldier and Guardians but, fanboys still praise them as the pinnacle of CBM's and not giving anyone else like DC or Fox the recognition. DC has one movie that had mixed review and upcoming movies which has hyped me up. Seriously, nothing can be Spider-man 3 bad to me.

I'm tired of people giving Marvel credit for almost everything they do and not calling out on their faults. The more people talk about how the DCEU is crap the more it makes me sick to be a Marvel fan and root for DC more. It ruins my enjoyment for both.

I want good competition from both of them. Hollywood could just ban superhero movies together and then we won't have any to complain about. MCU used to be awesome, now I'm starting to question it. I still looking forward to Black Panther and Dr. Strange though.
    First, not calling out Marvel on their faults? As far as I can tell, fans have no problem bitching about whatever faults they perceive. Personally, I think the Phase II MCU films were leaps and bounds over Phase I's films (which I liked) in variety and ambition but at this point I think some fans just feel like they should start complaining about Marvel films for no better reason than "just because", regardless of the high quality the films have maintained.

Secondly, why do you even care about who says what about either Marvel or DC? Why would the opinion of someone else about anything ruin your own personal enjoyment of something else?

Lastly, "Hollywood could just ban superhero movies"? Really? In case you hadn't heard, Hollywood likes money. They're never going to ban anything that brings in cash. The only thing that's going to stop the production of comic book films is if they start to tank. Which doesn't look likely to happen anytime soon. And even then, if that does happen, you know they'll come back at some point. I'm sure many people thought superhero films were dead for good after Batman & Robin and look where we are now. So, worrying about the longevity of superhero films seems awfully silly. It's a complete non-issue.

Fantastic Member

I think the biggest thing about marvel studios is that they have made so many movies, and none of them have been horrible, and the vast majority are really good. I mean, the first thor movie may not have been my favorite movie ever, but it was still entertaining to watch. I think they are a little worthy of my fanboying. That said, I'm still pumped for BvS, and think it will be a great movie as well.

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    I think the biggest thing about marvel studios is that they have made so many movies, and none of them have been horrible, and the vast majority are really good. I mean, the first thor movie may not have been my favorite movie ever, but it was still entertaining to watch. I think they are a little worthy of my fanboying. That said, I'm still pumped for BvS, and think it will be a great movie as well.
    That's the kind of attitude I want with my fellow Marvel kin. We need to respect the competition and lift them up.

I'm glad that Marvel has set a high bar for comic book movies. We're not spoiled. We now simply expect a superhero movie to have good dialog, a coherent plot, and passable acting. That's why FF failed so miserably, because FOX just tossed out crap instead of making a good movie. Marvel's success has forced studios to make quality movies.

BvS will, I hope, start a DC movie universe that will be awesome. Most comic fans like both Marvel AND DC, so I hope they are both successful.

That's the kind of attitude I want with my fellow Marvel kin. We need to respect the competition and lift them up.
    Marvel's mediocre movies still making good money doesn't exactly encourage them to make better quality movies, which is why adding DC to the mix and even Image may be great.

Competition in this case is welcomed imo, and I hope the two can manage to one up themselves without resorting to gimmicks but rather increasing their quality.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Marvel's mediocre movies still making good money doesn't exactly encourage them to make better quality movies, which is why adding DC to the mix and even Image may be great.

Competition in this case is welcomed imo, and I hope the two can manage to one up themselves without resorting to gimmicks but rather increasing their quality.
    But doesn't Marvel's success just encourage the competition to copy them? I mean, to these movie studios, "quality" is whatever is most likely to generate the highest returns.

BANNED

I'm not sure why this concept is so hard to grasp for some. I definitely like Marvel better than DC but that doesn't mean I hate DC. I enjoyed the hell out of some New 52 books like Animal Man and Swamp Thing and read Green Lantern for years until I dropped all comics from all companies a few months ago (I've decided to strictly read old stuff for a while via Marvel Unlimited). And I think Man of Steel is a better movie than 2/3's of the Marvel movies to date.

I do think there's been a certain "Marvel can do no wrong" attitude in some corners, and anyone who does things differently (see DC's approach to their films) is wrong by default. And strangely, I find this attitude among DC fans more than Marvel fans. Perhaps its a jealousy thing and they want to see "their" company reach the same level of popularity? I dont know. But I certainly dont blame or hate on Marvel for their success. Im a comic book fan, not a company fan. (actually, I think I might be reading more Marvel right now anyway, though I dont keep tabs)

But generally, fans complain about everything. They dont need any coherent reason or logic to their arguments, nor do they even need to have experienced the material first hand. At the same time, there are those who will support and fan-nut all over something with just as little cause. Out there somewhere is a guy who will defend the last FF movie as the best thing ever, despite not even having seen it. As someone else said, fanboys will fanboy.

And I find myself less and less worried about movie fatigue. We've been worried about that since long before the first Iron Man (by then we were eight years into the modern superhero movie era) and at the moment, the momentum is holding steady, if not still increasing. Will a decline happen? At some point Im sure it will. All things end, after all. But I dont think it will happen anytime in the near future. If bad movies were going to tank the genre, Ghost Rider and Daredevil and Elektra and Superman Returns and Green Lantern would have done it by now.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I find the entire "feud" between both companies, both in publishing and in film-making, to be idiotic and childish. I never understood why you couldn't just enjoy characters from both companies.

As far as the movies go, of course Marvel is overrated because they're dominating the superhero movie market and you're bound to see, hear or read some massive hyperbole about the quality of all their films, or their style. Marvel has made some very good films, some decent ones and some pretty crappy ones. Same as any other major studio. I'm pretty interested to see how DC forms their universe, as it seems they're going with the more dark/gritty tone to their universe (at least on the surface). I think it's a welcome contrast and there's no reason not to enjoy aspects of both studios' selective film-making style.

I don't think its wise to go against the MCU I'm going to be honest I seriously thought that while it wouldn't bomb GOTG wouldn't be the bigger hit that it was due to the General Public not really knowing the characters but how wrong was I
    But I agree they will release a movie that will totally bomb thus killing the super-hero genre for a while

I think the Marvel movies will lose steam when the core actors move on, and they have to run replacements for Iron Man and to a lesser extent Thor and Cap. It don't make a billion without RDjr.