Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Black Cat has more consistent costumes?
    Though Catwoman's been basically been wearing the same costume, or at least very, very aesthetically similar and near identical outfits, since the Brubacker run.

BANNED

I know what your getting at but sticking to the fact the Black Cat has super human abilities that was not originally hers, she was dating Flash Thompson, and originally was in college. It even gets more insane with her character. She has real claws and also tries to literally kill Spider-man. Also there is a Catwomanish character in "DarkStalkers" but is based off "Cats" the play.

Date of creation.

Obviously, Ms. Hardy "closed the deal" with Spider-Man in-continuity long before Ms. Kyle ever did with Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Obviously, Ms. Hardy "closed the deal" with Spider-Man in-continuity long before Ms. Kyle ever did with Batman.
    Huntress (Helena Wayne) first popped up in 1977. Black Cat first appeared in 1979.

You are factually incorrect.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    Why, they're not even remotely similar! Why, just recently Catwoman turned to the dark side and became the leader of her own criminal syndicate!
    Whereas Black Cat...wait...hang on...
    It's funny you mention that since the first big difference that came to my mind is that readers actually seemed to enjoy Catwoman's crime boss run. Most of the things I hear people say about Genevieve Valentine's time on the book are overwhelmingly positive, a lot of people putting it among their favorite Selina Kyle stories, whereas the only thing close to positive I typically hear about Felicia's crime boss run is "well at least she's being used". I'm still not sure what I find more disappointing and confusing, the fact that Catwoman's well received crime boss run seemed to end a lot earlier than expected or that Black Cat's horribly received crime boss run seems likes it's getting drawn out way too long.
    Last edited by Docz; 01-06-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Docz View Post
    It's funny you mention that since the first big difference that came to my mind is that readers actually seemed to enjoy Catwoman's crime boss run. Most of the things I hear people say about Genevieve Valentine's Catwoman time on the book are overwhelmingly positive, a lot of people putting it among their favorite Selina Kyle stories, whereas the only thing close to positive I typically hear about Felicia's crime boss run is "well at least she's being used". I'm still not sure what I find more disappointing and confusing, the fact that Catwoman's well received crime boss run seemed to end a lot earlier than expected or that Black Cat's horribly received crime boss run seems likes it's getting drawn out way too long.
    Not just that but it's not even on Spiderman either (though maybe that's a blessing in disguise). She's been put on Silk simply because they needed a villain for the spin-off !

But where as Selina Crime boss turn made sense with the character, Felicias doesn't at all. Hell it doesn't even make sense on its own either. Evidenced by Slott on these very CBR boards trying and failing to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    We all know DC and Marvel both have female cat burglars with romantic ties to their most famous costumed crime fighters.

But in your guys' opinions are there any differences between Black Cat and Catwoman beyond stuff like their powers, their professions, etc.

If so what are they?
    Catwoman was first? Cat first appeared in 1940 in Batman #1

Black Cat first appeared in in 1979 in The Amazing Spider-Man #194, 39 years later.

So Catwoman has been around about twice as long.

Plus more media appearance. Twice in a live action TV series (Batman and Gotham) and three movie appearances (Batman: The movie, 1966, Batman Returns, and The Dark Knight Rises)
    and I have lost track of all the animated appearances of Catwoman.

Catwoman is the older character yes, debuting as "The Cat". In terms of current incarnations however Black Cat however has been in the black leather suit longer in comics than Catwoman has. Catwoman has had multiple origins, Black Cat has retained the same beginnings for the most part, save for the small retcon (?) Kevin Smith gave her in Evil That Men Do. As already mentioned, Black Cat has been both super/technologically powered while Catwoman is a peak human condition type. Until as of late Black Cat was more firmly established as a hero while Catwoman more of a villain/anti-hero, but now that seems to be on par.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Mauled View Post
    Not just that but it's not even on Spiderman either (though maybe that's a blessing in disguise). She's been put on Silk simply because they needed a villain for the spin-off !

But where as Selina Crime boss turn made sense with the character, Felicias doesn't at all. Hell it doesn't even make sense on its own either. Evidenced by Slott on these very CBR boards trying and failing to justify it.
    Another thing that helps is that Selina turning heel has her as the focus of the story whereas Felicia is being used more as a plot device.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I think these are the important distinctions:
    (I'll be ignoring Fauxlicia)

Black Cat
    has powers
    key theme: luck
    enjoys teaming up with Spider-Man and other heroes
    wants to be a superhero

Catwoman
    no powers
    key theme: survival
    teams up with villains and other anti-heroes more than heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Docz View Post
    It's funny you mention that since the first big difference that came to my mind is that readers actually seemed to enjoy Catwoman's crime boss run. Most of the things I hear people say about Genevieve Valentine's time on the book are overwhelmingly positive, a lot of people putting it among their favorite Selina Kyle stories, whereas the only thing close to positive I typically hear about Felicia's crime boss run is "well at least she's being used". I'm still not sure what I find more disappointing and confusing, the fact that Catwoman's well received crime boss run seemed to end a lot earlier than expected or that Black Cat's horribly received crime boss run seems likes it's getting drawn out way too long.
    I think the big difference for fans was that Selina took over her family's crime syndicate basically under duress, and with the aim of preventing a full-on mob war.
    Whereas Felicia seems to have just become a proper black hat villain.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I think the big difference for fans was that Selina took over her family's crime syndicate basically under duress, and with the aim of preventing a full-on mob war.
    Whereas Felicia seems to have just become a proper black hat villain.
    Exactly, Selina was given actual motivation and something for fans to relate to why she was doing what she was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Catwoman is the older character yes, debuting as "The Cat". In terms of current incarnations however Black Cat however has been in the black leather suit longer in comics than Catwoman has. Catwoman has had multiple origins, Black Cat has retained the same beginnings for the most part, save for the small retcon (?) Kevin Smith gave her in Evil That Men Do. As already mentioned, Black Cat has been both super/technologically powered while Catwoman is a peak human condition type. Until as of late Black Cat was more firmly established as a hero while Catwoman more of a villain/anti-hero, but now that seems to be on par.
    Are you sure Black Cat went leather first?

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Well as stated Felicia is a certified PI and her thieving motivations are quite different from Selina. Since Selina grew up as an orphan and relied on pick pocketing, she steals for mainly self service. Felicia steals in honor of her father's legacy and does it usually for sport and for people less fortunate.

Felicia is based off of the cartoon "Bad Luck Blackie," in which her whole schitck was giving anyone in close proximity bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Are you sure Black Cat went leather
    Yes. Felicia had the black leather catsuit in her debut in 1979, while Selina received her signature black leather catsuit sometime around the late 80's. Before that she wore green and purple dresses and spandex.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!