Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Invader67 View Post
    Do you know why stopped after the five issues? Have you read Tor - 1975 DC? Thinking of picking up the six issues in that run. Wondering if they were good to and worth picking up?
    I believe both Tor and Kong were part of the DC Explosion and early casualties of a flooded market.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I believe both Tor and Kong were part of the DC Explosion and early casualties of a flooded market.
    Thanks man. That makes sense. I'm guessing in the mid 1970's then, DC was flooding the market with new titles?

Quote Originally Posted by Invader67 View Post
    Do you know why stopped after the five issues? Have you read Tor - 1975 DC? Thinking of picking up the six issues in that run. Wondering if they were good to and worth picking up?
    I haven't read Tor, though I might add that to my read list. Kong was a bimonthly title, which meant the fifth issue came out eight months after the first issue. By then, DC probably had a good read on its sales, which I suspect were not great. So its cancellation, like most titles back then, was almost certainly due to poor sales.

The famous DC Comics Explosion-turned-Implosion came along a couple years later, in 1978, and was brought about by a number of factors, including a harsh winter in much of North America. Kong was a bit too early to be part of that.

Edit: Added link to Wikipedia's article on the DC Implosion.
    Last edited by Spiderboy12; 08-24-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post
    I haven't read Tor, though I might add that to my read list. Kong was a bimonthly title, which meant the fifth issue came out eight months after the first issue. By then, DC probably had a good read on its sales, which I suspect were not great. So its cancellation, like most titles back then, was almost certainly due to poor sales.

The famous DC Comics Explosion-turned-Implosion came along a couple years later, in 1978, and was brought about by a number of factors, including a harsh winter in much of North America. Kong was a bit too early to be part of that.

Thanks. I'm really considering adding Tor to my list as well. It looks cool and buying all six issues isn't that expensive.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Both covers to Flash #53.

That's it!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post

True.
    It was listed here as one of the Explosion's earliest titles that got the axe before the eventual implosion.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Flash and Hawkman are the only DC books that are on my list. I’m not adding anything until Shazam in November. Another month passes and another month where all of my favorite characters are in purgatory.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Once again I stopped at the comic book shop today (after buying more sunflower seed elsewhere again) and got:

* Batgirl #25

* Immortal Men #5 (of 6)

* Scooby-Doo! Team-Up #41

and from back issues,

* Batman: Gotham Noir (Elseworlds; 2001)

and from a $1.00 bin,
    * JSA #37 (August 2002)

Also bought a couple of books from Dark Horse and a couple from Dynamite.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

For the month of August I got.

Superman #2
    Action Comics #1002
    Catwoman #2
    Hal Jordan #50
    Hawkman #3
    Justice League Dark #2
    Batman Kings of Fear #1

From 15 comics from last month to half of that for this month. Yup. Definitely not really feeling DC these days.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Once again I stopped at the comic book shop today (after buying more sunflower seed elsewhere again) and got:

* Batgirl #25

* Immortal Men #5 (of 6)

* Scooby-Doo! Team-Up #41

and from back issues,

* Batman: Gotham Noir (Elseworlds; 2001)

and from a $1.00 bin,
    * JSA #37 (August 2002)

Also bought a couple of books from Dark Horse and a couple from Dynamite.
    That's a big DC week for you lately, Major. Curious to know what you thought of the new team on Batgirl. I really enjoyed that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    For the month of August I got.

Superman #2
    Action Comics #1002
    Catwoman #2
    Hal Jordan #50
    Hawkman #3
    Justice League Dark #2
    Batman Kings of Fear #1

From 15 comics from last month to half of that for this month. Yup. Definitely not really feeling DC these days.
    Way more than me Flash and Hawkman is it for me until Shazam releases in November.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    That's a big DC week for you lately, Major. Curious to know what you thought of the new team on Batgirl. I really enjoyed that issue.
    Actually, that was only a "big week" because I only get to a comic book shop maybe once a month or so these days.
    As for Batgirl and the new creative team, hard to say from just what was in issue #25. Haven't bought #26 and Annual #2 yet.

Implosion_LRG.jpg

Not DC exactly but picked this up last time, very interesting read so far.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Way more than me Flash and Hawkman is it for me until Shazam releases in November.
    Lol. True that.

But honestly I'm really just enjoying Hawkman and JLD. Both are really great.

Bendis's Superman is horrible but it's Superman so I'm still picking it up. Action Comics is stupid but at least it's entertaining. Catwoman started out well but it's starting to slow down so I'll give it a few issues and drop it if it doesn't pick up.

Besides for there not being a lot of good titles out there for me I'm really not liking the feel of the DCU these days in general so I'm not picking up anything unless the story and writing itself is really good.

Hoping The Green Lantern is good.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Well, I didn't "buy" it, but for Batman Day 2018 I got a free comic book at Barnes & Noble.

BATMAN: WHITE KNIGHT BATMAN DAY 2018 SPECIAL EDITION #1