Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

What a week for DC Comics!

I picked up the following titles this week, ranked in order of my enjoyment of them.

1. Doomsday Clock #5 - the delays are maddening but only because it's so great. So many exciting reveals in this issue. 9/10
    2. Batman: Prelude to the Wedding #1 (Robin vs. Ra's al Ghul) was maybe my favorite thing I've read by Seeley. (Not really a fan otherwise.) Surprisingly poignant. 8/10
    3. Green Arrow Annual #2 (No Justice tie-in) - obviously I enjoyed this issue more than the series it's tying into, which is only fine while this was a great Green Arrow story, in an era that hasn't been kind to the character. 8/10
    4. Man of Steel #1 - This is the first proper comic book by Bendis I ever read. (I also read his shorts in DC Nation and Action 1000 and found them pretty disappointing.) Maybe it was all the dread that had been instilled in me but this was a pretty good comic book. And Bendis didn't much step on the gorgeous art by Reis w/assist from Fabok. I would pay to see Ivan Reis draw a telephone book but seeing him drawing Superman with the red trunks was a Supertreat. Bendis gets 5/10 (nor good nor bad) while Reis gets 9/10. Overall 7/10
    5. Green Lanterns Annual #1 - Lovely art for the most part and a touching story. Much better than either GL monthly lately. 7/10
    6. Super Sons/Dynamutt and Blue Falcon - I'd planned on getting Black Lightning/Hong Kong Phooey but changed my mind at the last minute. Got this instead. One of the better DC/HB crossovers I think, so far. Lots of fun. 7/10
    7. No Justice #4 - I've had the hardest time, with No Justice, feeling like I'm reading a story instead of a series of sort of neat ideas. I can't give myself over to it. I find myself finishing an issue and going, "That was it? Why does everyone seem to like this so much?" For me reading it has been an intellectual exercise in reading a not-especially-smart book. I feel like Metal converted Snyder into the sort of writer that writes ideas instead of genuine emotion and authentic character studies and I hope he gets over it soon. His Batman was better than No Justice or Metal IMO and his Detective was better still. I did like the way it set up the new titles. As with the final issue of Metal I was bored silly until the epilogue and then I loved the epilogue. Same here. Still it wasn't bad! Nothing I bought this week was bad! And for whatever reason though I was nonplussed by NJ, I'm really looking forward to all three JL titles. 6/10

And looking forward to next week I expect to be one of the better weeks of the year for DC. Ranked in order of excitement:

1. Batman #48 (tied w/Mr. Miracle, Doomsday Clock, and ESL: Snagglepuss for top DC book for me)
    2. Justice League #1 - I was hoping Mikel Janin would draw this and I loved his epilogue pages in Metal but Jimenez is pretty great too. I'm actually really excited for this book.
    3. Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles #6 (final issue) - I will miss this series badly. It will go down in history as an all time favorite.
    4. Doctor Star and the Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows (this JSA-based series from the Black Hammer universe from Dark Horse has become a must-read for me in 3 issues - it is astoundingly good)
    5. Batman: Prelude to the Wedding #2 (Nightwing vs. Hush) - if the first issue was any indicator Seeley has something to say with these issues and I'm excited for each of them
    6. Man of Steel #2 - Doc Shaner. 'Nuff said.
    7. Deathstroke - Pt. 3 of a pretty great Batman x-over

Feeling very bullish on most of the new directions at DC lately. I took so long to read today's books. It was a special week.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

For the month of May I picked up.

Action Comics Special #1
    Superman Special #1
    Man of Steel #1
    Detective Comics #980-981
    Red Hood #22
    Wonder Woman #46-47
    Hal Jordan #44-45
    Flash #46-47
    Bane Conquest #11
    Mera #4
    Brave and the Bold #4
    The Terrifics #4
    Flash/Speed Buggy #1
    Aquaman/Jabberjaw #1
    No Justice #1
    Go Go Power Rangers #9
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Flash is it at the moment until Hawkman arrives next month.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    I haven't bought any comic books since Free Comic Book Day.
    I expect to eventually get to the comic book shop in the next week or two (when I go to buy more bird seed).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I haven't bought any comic books since Free Comic Book Day.
    I expect to eventually get to the comic book shop in the next week or two (when I go to buy more bird seed).
    It's good to see some shops are branching out into other types of products. I'd recommend getting it from the dollar bins, though. I doubt the birds would know the difference.
    (Sorry, been watching a lot of Burns & Allen.)
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    It's good to see some shops are branching out into other types of products. I'd recommend getting it from the dollar bins, though. I doubt the birds would know the difference.
    (Sorry, been watching a lot of Burns & Allen.)
    Say "Good Night", Gracie.

Oh man.

I'll probably be right with you in a few months though. Most of the series I collect are changing writers or direction which I don't really care for.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Oh man.

I'll probably be right with you in a few months though. Most of the series I collect are changing writers or direction which I don't really care for.
    Yep! Most of my favorite characters are in limbo and don’t have a book right now. I’m also more excited about what Marvel is doing at the moment.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 06-01-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Yep! Most of my favorite characters are in limbo and don’t have a book right now. I’m also more excited about what Marvel is doing at the moment.
    Well I hope they bring them out of limbo soon.

Just out of curiosity why did you drop Hal Jordan? I think it's one of the best comics out there now.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Say "Good Night", Gracie.
    Good night, Gracie!
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I don't read any Marvel books any longer. I got tired of their "stealth cancelations" and screwing around too much with characters I like (most recently, Black Widow and Captain America) or I got tired of the writing.
    I'm more excited about Dynamite bringing back Project: Superpowers next month.
    (And hoping they don't screw this up AGAIN!)

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Well I hope they bring them out of limbo soon.

Just out of curiosity why did you drop Hal Jordan? I think it's one of the best comics out there now.
    Me too!! But I believe they are tied up in doomsday clock and it’s moving at a snails pace....
    It is really good! I was enjoying it but there was other stuff that I was wanting to read and I set aside a certain monthly amount for my pull list. Since it was ending I just decided to pull the plug.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Me too!! But I believe they are tied up in doomsday clock and it’s moving at a snails pace....
    It is really good! I was enjoying it but there was other stuff that I was wanting to read and I set aside a certain monthly amount for my pull list. Since it was ending I just decided to pull the plug.
    I agree. This Doomsday Clock is very annoying. And the story itself is not even good.

Oh, I gotcha.

Astonishing Member

• Blue Falcon & Supersons
    • Flash & Speed Buggy
    • Black Lightning & Hong Kong Phooey
    • Aquaman & Jabberjaw

I am surprised this happened. I am really surprised how good they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Good night, Gracie!
    George was the ultimate master of breaking the fourth wall