Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Default Nu 52 Lantern Feats?

So I haven’t really been keeping up with the Nu 52 Lantern titles since Geoff Johns left. I’ve picked up a couple of trades recently, but the sheer volume of Lantern titles makes it more expensive to keep up than I can currently afford. I wanted to pool the knowledge of the Rumbles boards to see where the Nu Lanterns were sitting in terms of power. Feats for raw power, versatility, fights, and presentation will all be considered, but please be as specific as possible.

From my own reading, I haven’t seen nearly the sort of raw fire power feats thrown around by the post crisis Lanterns. I’ve yet to see one tow a planet, screw around with a star, or move a city across the universe. (Oddly enough, despite all this, they have brought back the “most powerful weapon in the universe tagline which fell out of fashion during the Geoff Johns run.) What I HAVE seen is some pretty powerful opponents that the Lanterns have taken on. These have included:

-Invictus. This cosmic angel built functional solar system that doubles as a space ship which can travel through super massive white holes. He also pretty casually blew up planets. The New Guardians (Kyle Rayner’s 7 colored Lantern team) fought this guy, but it was a losing battle as I recall. Larfleeze was more or less a peer from what I remember.
    -The First Lantern. I didn’t read his entire arc, but dude was a pretty salutary reality warper who blew up planets and could rewind time and what not. His power also seemed to be increasing over the course of the story. When he was “merely” blowing up planets Sinestro managed to hurt him with a construct. At his peak he kept fighting after Mogo and most of the surviving Lanterns of all colors in the universe teamed up for a massive energy blast against him.
    -The House of Tuath-Dan. The origin story for these cosmic god type guys is they waged war on each other, first killing off all but six of each other, and then continuing to fight and laying waste to their entire universe across eons, destroying entire star systems and billions of worlds, until nothing was left but “a cosmos that was burned out, life-less shell.” One of their members, Xum, is one with the cosmic essence that binds creation, and can tear atoms apart and shift his consciousness into any vessel. So they have a lot of hype, but we don’t see a ton of on panel stuff. HOWEVER, we do see one of their members, Dyrge of all Sorrows, pretty casually mentally enslaves entire planets. (We will come back to her later, but a quick note her siblings seemed immune to this effect and could casually shield others from it.)
    -Ruin. No clue on this guy. I know he used anti-Lantern tech though.
    -The Godkillers. No idea here either, but Kyle fought them as a White Lantern, eventually disarming them and teleporting them across the universe. White Lantern Kyle is more powerful than Green, but I’m not clear on specifics.

-Daxamites. Without getting too spoiler-y, we see a Daxamite throw down with a group of Lanterns. The Daxamite needs a pretty concentrated effort to bring down, but hey, we are talking about a being who is supposed to be on Nu Superman level here. Of note, the only they managed to kill had to deliberately lower their protective aura. Otherwise we see John take multiple blows from the thing, including a super speed barrage of punches, from which he responds by knocking the Daxamite around back. Hal Jordan also manages to blast the thing out of the sky with a missile barrage.

-Interplanetary alliances. Kidna vague, but ships from dozens of start systems teamed up to attack the GLC recently, and even then only thought they had a chance because they had GLs working for them on the inside. When their Lanterns got found out stopped, the fleet just fled.
    -Various anti-Lantern types. A disappointing number of Nu GL stories I read or flipped through involved Lanterns fighting guys specifically geared to be immune to will power based attacks and what have you. Felt kinda lazy, like the writers couldn’t be bothered to actually make challenging enemies otherwise.

Now, for actual feats:
    -Sinestro. For whatever reason this guy has had the best feats out of my reading, in both power and versatility. Versatility includes: Teleportation between star systems, some low end transmutation to repair damage, and duplicating his ring to arm dozens of new Lanterns on the fly. For power, he’s got punching a whole through the first Lantern and then being fully conscious after the First Lantern explodes the planet they are fighting on in his face, faster than he can react to. On top of that, Sinestro has completely mastered Parallax, which can kick the snot out of Hal Jordan when he lets it out of the cage he keeps it in inside, and in Parallax mode he can shove the moon around with Black Adam.
    -Larfleeze. Guy spends a decent chunk of his ongoing just figuring out his powers and being an idiot, early on resorting to MERELY chucking the cosmic god (see The House of Tuath-Dan) he’s fighting across the universe rather than outright murderizing him. He later goes on to murder Xum, One with All Things. Dyrge, who, again, casually bends entire planets to her will, tries to use her ultimate mental attack on Larfleeze, only to discover his consciousness is entirely made of greed and his mental defenses immediately render her comatose. Eventually The House of Tuath-Dan incurs the full wrath of Larfleeze, and they quickly surrender for fear he will just slaughter them. He also has throwing down with Invictus before his ongoing started.
    -Hal Jordan. Rookie Hal drew blood from younger Clark, before ultimately getting thrashed. He also did damage control as a secondary task across Gotham, putting out fires and what not without being present. Managed to knock a Daxamite out of the sky with a construct missile barrage.

-John Stewart: Slugging it out with a Daxamite. He had something to do with Mogo coming back to life but I don’t know what.

Kyle Rayner: Taking it to Invictus with limited success. But a significant chunk of his own comic seems to focus on him discovering how to tap the other colors of the emotional spectrum, and eventually the white light, without actually accomplishing much with it beyond their basic powers. (Using the blue to heal people, or yellow for fear attacks.) That said, what I’ve seen from researching his series indicates as White Lantern he’s: broached the Source Wall and come back to tell the tale, fought off the Guardians, and created his own source walls to use in combat. Also, it looks like the guy can revive the dead and repair destroyed cities…? And also revived Mogo’s dead evil brother, then killed him again. Oh, and stole Hal Jordan’s woman. He’s supposed to be pretty godly, but again, vague on details.

Larfleeze has an ongoing series?

Quote Originally Posted by Holacik View Post
    Larfleeze has an ongoing series?
    Yeah, it's all right. Largely comedic, but the guy has some nice feats in there.

Incredible Member

Simon brought someone back to life as a GL. Pure will. Not with White Light like Kyle did.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Simon brought someone back to life as a GL. Pure will. Not with White Light like Kyle did.
    Oh, yeah, I forgot that. To be fair, it wasn't like a literally dead guy. He was in a coma. Maybe brain dead? Can't remember the exact prognosis.

Also Ch'pp had a neat feat involving evacuating a large building remotely. Seems the Nu Lanterns have some decent remote abilities.

Red Lantern Supergirl smacked around/overpowered Superman a few times, though they never really got into a prolonged fight.

Sadly not a feat that can really be applied to other Lanterns, and that storyline of Red Lanterns was otherwise fairly dry on quantifiable feats.
    Last edited by Siriel; 01-05-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Oh yeah... Nu G'nort shows up in the Larfleeze title too, and manages to contain two of Tuath-Dan gods in short order, and generally makes a respectable showing of himself. It seems like after 17 years of getting through basic training the guy is actually kinda potent, if still a moron.

Alan Scott I think had one of the better strength feats...
    He held the earth back/ being sucked out of orbit in the earlier runs of earth 2

He also terraformed Telos into the new earth 2 in a couple of pages .nice planetary scale feat . Also the "52earths" punch vs Darkseid