Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: The Fade Out #12

SERIES CONCLUSION! It all ends here! The dramatic wrap-up to the mystery and to Brubaker and Phillips' bestselling and most ambitious project yet!

Full preview here.

I cannot wait to read this!

At first read I found this a little anti-climatic. I guess I'm too conditioned to expect big reveals or twists. But then I realized that this was a more honest and realistic conclusion. The murderer and their reveal make perfect sense to the story Brubaker & Co were telling. Bravo, gang, well done.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Amazing Member

SPOILERS

I've been with this series since issue #1 and just finished #12. What a series. Poster above said it was a realistic ending and that sums it up pretty nice. Plays out a bit like a Hollywood version of Criminal. Loved the last couple pages where Phillips clearly spent a little more time on the art. The last page especially. The cover with Valeria is also beautiful. All the extras in the back of each comic have been interesting with art from Sean Phillips on a lot of the essays. Can't really ask for more when it comes to Noir. Great series but shouldnt expect any less from Brubaker and Phillips.

This comic series basically made me fall in love with Noir harder than I would have if I never read it...

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Loved it! Was expecting twists, but what we got was very good. Can't wait to reread all 12 in the near future.

spoilers:
    so, from what I gather Maya was involved the whole time? Perhaps promised her stardom by the film company to keep Charlie occupied? That's what I got from Brodsky's comments at the end, but just wanna make sure I'm reading it right.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman55 View Post
    SPOILERS

Loved the last couple pages where Phillips clearly spent a little more time on the art. The last page especially.
    Actually, those last two pages were by far the quickest of the whole series to draw. Maybe I should always try to draw that fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Loved it! Was expecting twists, but what we got was very good. Can't wait to reread all 12 in the near future.

spoilers:
    so, from what I gather Maya was involved the whole time? Perhaps promised her stardom by the film company to keep Charlie occupied? That's what I got from Brodsky's comments at the end, but just wanna make sure I'm reading it right.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I don't think so, yes, she played the Studio game. I think when charlie insulted her and then walked off, leaving behind Gil's body, she did the only thing she could, call the studio. I don't think her earlier relation with Charlie was a set up. Though I could be wrong.
    I liked the issue and the resolution, except for the last pages. i expected Charlie to see reality and just get on with his work, and maybe end up with Dottie. Instead we get Ray Milland in the Lost weekend and Charlie as a hopeless alcoholic wandering the streets of LA. The murderer gets away, everyone's life is ruined and our hero is a drunk. A little too dark for me.
    end of spoilers

Do we still need spoilers when discussing the story?

And Sean, this series was your best work yet.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

I'd totally be down for that 'Brodsky in the 50s' story after reading the finale. He really came to life in the end.

Spectacular Member

can't figure out spoiler tags , so SPOILER WARNING;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

spoilers:
    literally just finished the third trade. am i the only one reading this as charlie having killed her and just not remembering? as a former blackout drunk, that's been my theory the entire story, so maybe i'm just stuck on that. but brodsky's reveal isn't really a reveal, just his working theory. and he probably eliminated charlie based entirely on his actions afterwards (which are inconsistent since he doesn't remember). in charlie's last flashback, he remembers the conversation with miller that i think reveals valeria had informed on charlie. miller leaves and charlie kills valeria in a fit of rage. then wakes up the next morning remembering nothing and he's off to solve a murder. either way, the studio covers it up, and then covers up for kamp when gil's blackmail scheme gets them nervous. i think at the end, charlie at least suspects he did it, and that's why he doesn't pull at the strings anymore, and why he acts grateful to the studio.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by totalsellout View Post
    can't figure out spoiler tags , so SPOILER WARNING;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Went ahead and added them for you, basically you just type [*SPOIL*] actual spoilers go here [*/SPOIL] and remove the asterisks!
    You could also quote this post to see how it works.

spoilers:
    Like this!
    end of spoilers

Spectacular Member

Just finished reading vol 3. What an absolutely devastating third act. Cynical as hell, and gutting. Really loved it.

Also, all I could think was, I would love to see a movie of this.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Went ahead and added them for you, basically you just type [*SPOIL*] actual spoilers go here [*/SPOIL] and remove the asterisks!
    You could also quote this post to see how it works.

spoilers:
    Like this!
    end of spoilers
    Thank you.