Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Stupid bits in films that just made you groan (and maybe hate a little too)

Obviously, this thread will contain some kind of spoilers - but most films mentioned here will most likely be crap anyway, so who cares, right?

I'm not talking about plot holes now (though you can mention them too if you like), but things that happen that are just so stupid, that you can't forget them.

For example: King Arthur (the Clive Owen one):
    Yes, an incredibly bland and cliched flick, but if the Celts couldn't get past the wall, how was it that suddenly, right at the end, they joined the fight from south of the wall? Nobody let them pass, but they somehow found a way through via the woods to attack the joint enemy to turn the tide of battle... Sigh.

I could string together a whole list now (the entire horror genre is ful of them!), but I'm hoping that some of you will chime in...

Incredible Member

Vader being Luke's father.

come at me.

X-Men the infamous "what happens to a toad when struck by lightning" reading.

Any love story that feels forced.

Spider-Man 3 - having Mary Jane in peril again.

When women are in peril in comic book movies as a trope.

Any time in Superhero movies where the hero has to save an overly cute kid, Re: Spider-Man - any of them. Superman got it right. that's it. Batman Begins (scene with kid) was groanable but fun knowing whom he grew up to be.

Wolverine: Origins - the entire movie.
    X-Men 3 - the entire movie.
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

Call me Ishmael in League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. That movie was bad to begin with but that line still haunts me to this day.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Call me Ishmael in League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. That movie was bad to begin with but that line still haunts me to this day.
    Almost direct from the source material.

When the mine car makes the leap over the broken rails in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and lands smooth as glass. Even after the fall from the airplane, and the pulling-the-guy's-still-beating-heart-out moments, this was the point at which I decided that George and Steven weren't even trying this time.

Amazing Member

Just watched The Visit, so spoilers are coming if you want to avoid them.

I say this with no pride but I guessed the twist within 5 minutes of the movie. Why? Because the setup was absolutely ridiculous. Two things:

1. So this woman hasn't spoken/seen her parents in 15 years. They now reach out to her and say they want to get to know their grandchildren, which are like 12 and 10 ish or so. Ok, that's plausible. They want the kids to stay with them for a week. Again .... ok. But the mother is willing to let her kids do that without her going herself! I just do not see that happening. At least dropping them off. I know she was going on vacation too but ..... just no. I think it's really contrived.

2. Okay, let's say the above is plausible for the sake of the movie. So now we're forced to believe all the above, AND that this mother doesn't even show the kids a picture of the grandparents! So what, "Okay kids, get on this train and well, I guess they said they'd be there with a sign ... I mean, that's good enough right? You're only my two children and nothing could possibly go wrong with that scenario. Why do you need to know what they look like?"

So at this point I figured he must be setting up a switcheroo. So besides that ridiculously stupid setup, the movie was kind of boring and yet another one of those "Why the **** are they still holding the camera" movies. The whole "She's filming a documentary" doesn't hold up if you're running for your life or racing to save your brother ... "Whoops, I almost forgot the camera!"

Dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Almost direct from the source material.

When the mine car makes the leap over the broken rails in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and lands smooth as glass. Even after the fall from the airplane, and the pulling-the-guy's-still-beating-heart-out moments, this was the point at which I decided that George and Steven weren't even trying this time.
    Its from league of extraordinary gentlemen the comic?

Quote Originally Posted by arosenbarger View Post
    Any love story that feels forced.
    Well, I don't know anyone who's a fan of that, really.

Anyway, I like Days of Future Past, but early in the movie, when elder-Xavier and Magneto explain their plan to the rest of the X-Men, Xavier says they'll need to time travel. Magneto adds that they need to time travel in order to prevent the war from happening. Xavier nods to concur, but the way he nods (and yes, there are different ways of nodding) looks like he thinks Magneto brought up an insightful revelation and that Xavier is just now realizing why they need to time travel in the first place. It was your plan, Xavier!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Its from league of extraordinary gentlemen the comic?
    Yup. Nemo's talking to one of his crew aboard the Nautilus, who says (IIRC) "Call me Ishmael, Captain. You've known me long enough."

As much as I love Guardians of the Galaxy, the ending was stupid. Starlord beats Ronan with the power of dance... -_-
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by tg1982 View Post
    As much as I love Guardians of the Galaxy, the ending was stupid. Starlord beats Ronan with the power of dance... -_-
    ...newp.

Not how he beat Ronan.
    Junior Braves of the Apocalypse - NOW AVAILABLE!

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Tanner View Post
    ...newp.

Not how he beat Ronan.
    Okay, maybe I should have said "stops Ronan" instead of "beats Ronan", but this...

is stupid and groan worthy, IMO. If you like it then great. But I didn't.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by tg1982 View Post
    Okay, maybe I should have said "stops Ronan" instead of "beats Ronan", but this...

is stupid and groan worthy, IMO. If you like it then great. But I didn't.
    That was one of the worst things I've ever seen. Wow. I'm glad I skipped this film.

Quote Originally Posted by abysslord View Post
    That was one of the worst things I've ever seen. Wow. I'm glad I skipped this film.
    Don't get me wrong. Overall the movie is really great, IMHO. But when I saw that part I literally said "What the F***? Really?"
    - George Washington

Yeah GOTG is actually pretty entertaining. This scene was goofy as hell and cringe-worthy, but I just had to laugh.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002