Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Am I mis-remembering season 1 as being better than it actually was? Because the season 2 opener seemed to be a BIG step down.

That dialogue would get you laughed off Tumblr.

And if they were hitting the (totally inappropriate) near-post-apocalyptic vibe hard last season, they're really going crazy with it this season. It looks like the apocalypse happened 6 months ago instead of, y'know, 3000 years.

And I see they celebrated the switch to Spike by highlighting the HGOGA (Hot Girl On Girl Action).

I don't think I'll stick with it. Which is probably moot anyway, since my cable provider seems to be about to drop all the Viacom channels. Seriously, why do I still have cable?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Am I mis-remembering season 1 as being better than it actually was? Because the season 2 opener seemed to be a BIG step down.

That dialogue would get you laughed off Tumblr.

And if they were hitting the (totally inappropriate) near-post-apocalyptic vibe hard last season, they're really going crazy with it this season. It looks like the apocalypse happened 6 months ago instead of, y'know, 3000 years.

And I see they celebrated the switch to Spike by highlighting the HGOGA (Hot Girl On Girl Action).

I don't think I'll stick with it. Which is probably moot anyway, since my cable provider seems to be about to drop all the Viacom channels. Seriously, why do I still have cable?
    I was all ready for some HGOGA, and all they did was kiss. You can't be promising stuff like that.

I do agree about the post apocalyptic vibe. There seems to be more of it than the books portrayed. (At least the earlier books, I never read the later ones.)
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Season one was ... watchable.
    The first episode of this season I would label as terrible fanfic and direct full and utter derision at. The plot elements were incredibly corny and cliched. The dialogue was wooden. The acting was subpar.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

The post-apocalyptic vibe is very minimal in the books set during this time period. It's supposed to be about 95% Middle-Earth and 5% Mad Max, but the show seems to have it the other way round. It's just ridiculous to believe that so many 21st-century artifacts are just sitting there intact on the surface, yet enough time has passed for humanity to split into many different species, magic to have returned, millennia worth of history to have passed. And the apocalypse itself was supposed to have happened hundreds of years in the future, not now.

This was an issue last season too, but somehow the production was competent enough to carry it through to a pretty enjoyable season. But last season was based on an existing book. This season isn't, and it's flailing already.

It's amazing how many people get jobs writing for television shows that just can't write interesting dialogue. It's not like there aren't enough good writers out there that big production studios would have to settle for this.

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

Season premiere had even more of an Into The Badlands Season 2 vibe to it. Gough and Millar are involved in both series.

Cancelled but possibly not dead?

Link: http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-shan...-3-1202244442/
    "For ten dollars Jason Statham will f*** an explosion in slow motion while a Slayer song plays in the background." - Patton Oswalt

Maybe they could continue it as a series of flash-mob happenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Quinch View Post
    Cancelled but possibly not dead?

Link: http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-shan...-3-1202244442/
    damn, season 2 was way better than one. Mainly cause it was all bloody.

I thought season 1 was OK but bailed on season 2 after the first episode.

I've come to terms with the fact that I can either enjoy a book series, or the TV series inspired by it. Not both. I'm very happy I never read the Game of Thrones books aside from the first couple hundred pages, because otherwise I probably wouldn't be able to enjoy the TV show. And I haven't even watched American Gods because it's one of my favorite books and I know I'd be disappointed.