Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AUScowboy View Post
    Well, Jim is IN FACT a masterful detective, so like when Batwoman took over the book for a year, the title Detective definitely still fits!
    They should let Jim take over the title for a year like they did with Batwoman. I would enjoy that a lot.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

This was pretty good! A noir-ish street level mystery with some clever character touches is always a good fit for Detective Comics, and it didn't hurt that Pasarin delivered the best pencils I've seen from him. 'Tec has felt pretty aimless ever since the early days of the Layman/Fabok-run, it's excellent to finally see it getting back on track.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Tomasi seems to take the cue comfortably enough, but weirdly enough, I actually like Snyder's JimBat more.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Astonishing Member

This was decent. Good Gordon/Bullock dynamics. Good stuff from Julia - reminders that she's British, for instance, and a spy who was introduced to us rappelling up a building. Nice Batmannish Gothamish weird serial killer stuff. Kind of feels like Jim's turn to try out one of the 70s Denny weird one-off serial killers or an Alan Grant style mystery from the early 90s.

I'm someone who digs Pasarin. His faces get a little repetitious, yeah. His Jim looks rather like say his Guy Gardner, but there's a good standard and he drew Babs so much during Gail's run it was fun to see him tackle the Burnside costume.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Just read Det. #48...saved it for last this week not because I was "saving the best for last", but because I actually dreaded reading it......

I have come to a conclusion...JimBat would of been fine if was a Graphic Novel and a stand alone story...but to be the ongoing Batman I just cannot stand it.

I keep buying it because I am an addicted collector of comics........

Please Scott; bring back Bruce for me..........Please!!!!!!!

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Just read Det. #48...saved it for last this week not because I was "saving the best for last", but because I actually dreaded reading it......

I have come to a conclusion...JimBat would of been fine if was a Graphic Novel and a stand alone story...but to be the ongoing Batman I just cannot stand it.

He'll be back probably by issue 50, definitely by issue 52.

Also, JimBat is great.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    He'll be back probably by issue 50, definitely by issue 52.

Also, JimBat is great.
    Solicit for Batman issue 50 says Bruce is back in the cowl. Not a fan of Jimbat.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 01-09-2016 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post

I do think that this story is going to read a lot better in trade which I think can be applied to much of Snyder's run. Those massive month-spanning epics are easier to stomach when you can get it all at once. I also think JimBats is going to be considered more fondly in hindsight when people aren't desperate to see Bruce again. Don't get me wrong, I'll be really exciting to read his return too but I'm still really enjoying this story now and commend Snyder and Capullo for taking the risk.

I hadn't been buying Detective Comics for quite a while. The early issues of the New 52 run were not really to my taste and nothing I saw solicited since then really caught my attention. I was at a Hastings the other day and saw they were selling some of their adult coloring book variant cover editions at a discount, and while not one of those collectors who goes after variants with the eye of a speculator, I did like the art they've put on those coloring book variants and decided to buy a couple of comics I don't normally get, and one of them ended up being Detective Comics #48.

Not paying attention before, I didn't realize Pete Tomasi was writing Detective. That was a happy surprise, because I think of him as one of the big under-rated, consistently solid writers. This comic was great fun. I loved the bizarre mystery which Jim is currently investigating. It is visually striking and intriguing in an appropriately Gotham City way. I'm definitely buying more of this.