Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Default PREVIEW: Detective Comics #48 Preview

In the wake of the Robin War and globe-hopping with the Justice League, Jim Gordon is looking forward to getting back to what he, and Batman, do best: taking out crime in Gotham City. But lurking in the shadows at home is a case from Jim’s past that may decide the future of Batman.

Full preview here.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 01-06-2016 at 11:13 AM.

I really enjoyed this comic.

It was fun seeing Gordon run around outside of the suit, even making a mistake here and there because he's grown so reliant on it. The lack of the cape is so... Weird, now that it was called out. It is so iconic for Batman. Without the cape, he almost looks like Daredevil.

I like the new villain. He has shades of a certain Game of Thrones character in terms of abilities. I look forward to seeing where this is going.

Yeah, I really like cop procedural with a twist take on JimBats. I hope that when Bruce returns, Tomasi continues to write Jim Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Yeah, I really like cop procedural with a twist take on JimBats. I hope that when Bruce returns, Tomasi continues to write Jim Gordon.
    I had not considered the idea of Detective Comics continuing to follow Gordon... I like this idea. Tomasihas a great handle on Jim's voice, so I fully endorse the idea.

BANNED

Best issues of Tec since forever. It's a good thing the robo suit was ignored in favour of character interaction and police work,only Snyder uses the armour correctly,the others just pretend as if they're writing Iron Man.

I thought the exact same thing after finishing this issue! Say what you will of Jim Gordon as Batman, but I think he's totally at home in Detective Comics. Let's face it, Bruce in the cowl more often relies on punching the hell out of things before any detective work. I'm not saying that's the way things should be, but I'm saying that's how they are. Jim can't really do that and so his cop instincts kick in. It's a nice change of pace here. The last story on this book was some over-the-top Justice League fun but this feels like a really solid issue of this book. Another new villain? I'm really looking forward to the follow-up. I'm not sure where are all of the dread over Tomasi getting this book came from because it seems to get only better as it moves along IMO.

Tomasi really excels at writing low-stakes, character-driven stories. His best stuff over the past few years (first few volumes of Batman and Robin, Green Lantern Corps, Nightwing) were heavily defined by strong characterization and meaningful character interactions.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I've been liking how Detective has been handling Jim as Batman right along, except perhaps in the JL arc, but even against those issues this one was great.

I thought the JL arc had a great pay off at the end. Just Jim singing a luliby to a dying baby monster while the Leaguers ran off to save the world. Says a lot about who Jim is as a person. He isn't a larger than life hero. He's just your average cop who happens to be wearing a cowl right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    I thought the JL arc had a great pay off at the end. Just Jim singing a luliby to a dying baby monster while the Leaguers ran off to save the world. Says a lot about who Jim is as a person. He isn't a larger than life hero. He's just your average cop who happens to be wearing a cowl right now.
    That's what I really liked about that arc. On the surface, it's really a throwaway plot and there are some logistics problems. But Tomasi adapts the premise well enough to suit Jim Gordon, loving parent and veteran cop.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

You know I really wouldn't mind at all if this book continues to focus on Jim Gordon and the rest of GCPD even once Bruce is back in the cowl. I think it would offer an nice contrast to the main Batman title with a more low stakes and character driven approach to it. I'd really like that since Snyder's Batman has gotten a bit to epic for my taste of late.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I had not considered the idea of Detective Comics continuing to follow Gordon... I like this idea. Tomasihas a great handle on Jim's voice, so I fully endorse the idea.
    It would be a good way of differentiating 'Tec from the main Batman book, and even with the Manapul/Buccelato run it was kinda going in that direction with all the focus on Bullock.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

That ending was fantastic but I wasn't a huge fan of the premise, I know we're reading about a guy running around in a giant robot suit but I prefer the more down to earth stories.

BANNED

Tomasi deserves credit for trying to make it a detective comic, even the previous arc had quite a bit of detective work. Other writers never bothered making it anything more than Batman lite.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It would be a good way of differentiating 'Tec from the main Batman book, and even with the Manapul/Buccelato run it was kinda going in that direction with all the focus on Bullock.
    Well, Jim is IN FACT a masterful detective, so like when Batwoman took over the book for a year, the title Detective definitely still fits!