Default What out of continuity variations/perspective changes would you like to done with Superman?

Are there any unique views/takes on the character that you would like to see done? I'm not talking about Elseworld type stories where he is raised on New Genesis or something, but a story that focuses on his intelligence and his need to hide it for example. Another user also mentioned something about a more philosophical take on Superman that I would love to see. Do you have any ideas for Superman that, though they may not work in continuity, you'd like to see done?

Personally I'd love to see the story about intelligence that I mentioned above. I know that I can definitely relate to the concept of hiding your intelligence, and I'm sure most of us have had times where we felt alone in a group. I'd love to see a Superman story address the way his intelligence, senses, and abilities would affect that. How isolating would it be to sit around listening to your friends complain about how cold it is while you feel nothing? Anyway, I'm sure someone smarter than I could do a lot of interesting things with that.

Another idea I had was about Superman and his thoughts on death as demonstrated through his many interactions with Death of the Endless throughout his long life. I imagine him starting out as defiant of the concept, but how would his immortality change his thoughts?

So do any of you guys have Superman stories you'd like to see done that are a little out there?

*Edit: Dammit: that should be "What out of continuity variations/perspective changes would you like to see done with Superman?"

I dont personally subscribe to it, but there's an idea out there, especially among the Silver Age purists it seems, that Superman and Clark Kent are two virtually independent, separate identities. Clark disagrees with some of Superman's beliefs and choices, and Superman doesnt always understand Clark's motivations. They even get jealous of each other.

There was a poster here called kurosawa who was big on that. In his mind, Superman had a case of benign multiple personality disorder. I wouldnt want to see that in the main continuity, but I think an approach like that would be fascinating to really dig into and explore. The inner workings of a mind that can balance all that, and still remain healthy, forces you to re-evaluate your definitions of insanity and puts Superman in a very different light.

Especially in this age where things that we have always considered unchanging and stable, like gender, are being questioned, it could be a really interesting take.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'd like to see a Superman like that have a confrontation with Harvey Dent.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Personally, i'd love it if the currently out-of-continuity new miniseries American Alien was made part of the 'official' New 52 Superman origin story. I mean, it's only been two issues so far, but they've been perfect. The series might turn to crap next issue, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet View Post
    I'd love to see a Superman story address the way his intelligence, senses, and abilities would affect that. How isolating would it be to sit around listening to your friends complain about how cold it is while you feel nothing? Anyway, I'm sure someone smarter than I could do a lot of interesting things with that.

Another idea I had was about Superman and his thoughts on death as demonstrated through his many interactions with Death of the Endless throughout his long life. I imagine him starting out as defiant of the concept, but how would his immortality change his thoughts?
    These are both great ideas. I've never liked the idea that Superman can learn any skill just by reading books fast and all that (one of the few ideas of Morrison's that I didn't like) but I do like it when Superman uses his powers in conjunction with his science knowledge to pull of feats. Emphasising his tactical planning and strategic knowledge would also be great.

The problem with a more philosophical take on Superman would depend on balancing the story with the requisite action, which is hard. The closest I can think of that tried to explore Superman thinking about death and such would be Azzarello's For Tomorrow arc, which was only okay. You need a writer with a real light touch to pull it off I think.

I'd also like to see Superman interacting more with people in other nations, maybe even living there for a time, either as Superman or as Clark Kent, to experience other cultures and explore how they see him. I'd like them to play up Superman's role as the world's greatest hero.

Astonishing Member

I'd like to see Superman on his usual comic book scale but in a more mundane world. No other aliens to battle. No metahumans. Lex (if used) would be brilliant but limited to tech that exists today- no clones, no androids. no teleporters.

A one-shot or mini set in a world where Superman is more likely to be dealing with California wildfires than Californians who can burst into flame. Or has more encounters with ISIS, the terrorist group, than Isis the Egyptian goddess, An exploration of Superman when his opposition is ordinary nut numerous rather than in his level,

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'd like to see him take on more human, down to Earth, type threats. Force him to use his brains as much as his brawn. The problem with something like Truth is that it stripped him of his powers but not of his problems. I'm not a huge fan of the STAS version of the character but my favorite episode is the one where he tries to get a man off death row for a crime he didn't commit and the detective that convicted him tries to kill Clark Kent (since he's Superman, it didn't exactly take) and he has to fake his own death to help the guy. It was very dark for kid's cartoon and very much out of his wheelhouse. This is a problem he can't just punch his way out of. I'm getting sick of the "alien of the month" type stories. His powers are just a tool that he uses to help fix problems. He's also an investigative reporter. Force him to use that part of his skills as well.