Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast

I always thought that if he gained possession of the ring in Mordor, he would be able to rematerialize his body and use the ring to rule the world.
    But maybe I was just extrapolating more than Tolkien actually said in the books.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Nothing beside getting a power up. (and looking quite fancy)

But the ring is so linked to him that its destruction means Sauron's too so, yeah, that's a pretty damn good reason for him to want it back.

In a way it's somewhat similar to Voldermort and his deathly allows. In the sens that you can kill him because of those objects. (which is ironic)

And if you want to know why the ring is linked to him in the first place, well, once upon a time in Eregion....
    So...he just wants it to keep it safe from others? Not to use himself? Well, that IS a motivation, I suppose. Not very active, but valid. I do know how and why he made the Ring, and when, but it still seems a bit unnecessary to me, like he could have won without it and the resulting risk it generated.

It is interesting on a side note, that a guy who was more noted for being a scholar of Germanic languages should turn to Plato for inspiration. While I'm at it, why did the Valar leave the job unfinished at the end of the War of Wrath or whatever it was called? Why just take out Morgoth but leave the butler free to do whatever he wanted on Middle Earth? They were there, he was there in hiding, why not hunt him down? Was it just a typical British case of "Good enough, go to pub?" on the part of the Valar, (sorry, inside joke from a Brit TV show)?

It's my favorite fantasy story, but it does seem to generate some question for me...

It would indeed boost his power if i remember the lore correctly. Kinda why by the way Galadriel was so afraid to even be close to it, cause damn, wouldn't be that tempting to try it eh?

Concerning the Valar, well, haven't read that stuff for more than a decade but didn't Sauron just give them the slip and stay hidden or something?

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

The flaws in the Friday the 13th movie series including why does Jason Voorhees teleport only in Friday the 13th Jason Takes Manhattan can be explained because of awful writing since the writers didn’t think about the flaws when they wrote the movies.

The Camp Counselors weren’t watching Jason Voorhees which is why they don’t have a factual reason to say that he drowned in the Lake.
    Characters including the Police arriving at the nonsensical conclusion that Jason Voorhees drowned in Crystal Lake is a nonsensical conclusion because they never found his body in Crystal Lake.
    The retcon that a kid that can’t swim Jason Voorhees didn’t drown in Crystal Lake is implausible because a explanation is never stated for which character moved him out of Crystal Lake.

Jason Goes To Hell the change is Jason Voorhees is a demon that can possess humans which is a huge change for continuity because that was never shown or talked about in the 8 Friday the 13th movies before Jason Goes to Hell.
    A flaw that is worse than the reveal Michael Myers is in a thorn cult in Halloween 6 because 5 Halloween movies didn’t give any information that Michael Myers is in a thorn cult other than a thorn tattoo on his arm which is a low amount of information.

Spy Kids 2: Am I to believe all governments just left Romero and his island alone in peace?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Criminal Minds: There's all sorts of people ( including really smart ones) that have really poor social skills. This is a real thing. Just because Spence could memorize anything he read, it doesn't follow that he'd automatically get how social interaction works or could easily pick up on certain cues.

DC Continuity: Same reason Batman hasn't fallen while running, fighting, or doing summersalts (!) in that big cape.

That still fails to explain why he delayed for no doubt years years asking a coworker of any person he has a close relationship with why he doesn’t get dates or how does a person get dates.

If the cape is designed to remain out of his way that’s not a issue.
    Also that really doesn’t answer my question it just tells me DC doesn’t give explanations for obvious flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    So...he just wants it to keep it safe from others? Not to use himself? Well, that IS a motivation, I suppose. Not very active, but valid. I do know how and why he made the Ring, and when, but it still seems a bit unnecessary to me, like he could have won without it and the resulting risk it generated.

It is interesting on a side note, that a guy who was more noted for being a scholar of Germanic languages should turn to Plato for inspiration. While I'm at it, why did the Valar leave the job unfinished at the end of the War of Wrath or whatever it was called? Why just take out Morgoth but leave the butler free to do whatever he wanted on Middle Earth? They were there, he was there in hiding, why not hunt him down? Was it just a typical British case of "Good enough, go to pub?" on the part of the Valar, (sorry, inside joke from a Brit TV show)?

It's my favorite fantasy story, but it does seem to generate some question for me...
    To touch on two points already brought up.

1) Sauron's soul, and his power in general is bound to the ring.

Once the ring is destroyed Sauron is never again strong enough to take a material form, but he lingers on as powerless shadow, most likely East of Mordor where he initially fled once the ring was cut from his finger

Gandalf: "No, Frodo. The spirit of Sauron endured. His life force is bound to the Ring, and the Ring survived. Sauron has returned.

2) If the nazgul had succeeded in retrieving the ring for him, he would have been able to re-materialize in human form. When the ring was cut from his finger he lost this power, and transformed himself into a fiery eye constantly seeking the ring.

Gandalf:He is seeking it, seeking it — all his thought is bent on it. The Ring yearns above all else to return to the hand of its master. They are one, the Ring and the Dark Lord. Frodo, he must never find it

Movie Home Alone
    Why exactly did Kevin delay more than 2 hours to call the Cops when he knew when exactly the Wet Bandits were going to break and enter inside his Parent's house?
    That is undeniably 1 of the worst flaws in that movie which includes a Cop can see lights are on inside a house except he concludes no one is home which is a very inane conclusion.

Also why exactly do Canadian PSAs decide to mislead people instead of just from the start showing it's a PSA?
    A woman is shown opening up presents at a Birthday party so you don't think this will be a PSA until she gets told the whistle she got is a rape whistle.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    Movie Home Alone
    Why exactly did Kevin delay more than 2 hours to call the Cops when he knew when exactly the Wet Bandits were going to break and enter inside his Parent's house?
    Kevin is a violent vigilante who wants to vent his rage on the criminal element before turning them over to the proper authorities.

I highly doubt those persons that complain about Superman killing Zod in the movie Man of Steel can give a strong explanation for why then complaining about Superman killing Zod isn’t hypocritical if they don’t complain about the irrefutable above examples when Superman killed foes.
    There are lots of lots of comics where Superman does not kill. There are only a tiny few where he does. Therefore, we can see that Superman almost never kills.

When Man of Steel came out, it had to establish everything about the new Superman. It established that Superman kills. There aren't any other thousands of stories in the Man of Steel universe where he doesn't kill. There's one. And he's a killer in it.
    (and then later in BvS he throws a terrorist right though a wall, so he still seems okay with killing. Let's not get into Justice League because that whole thing is a mess.)

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Kevin is a violent vigilante who wants to vent his rage on the criminal element before turning them over to the proper authorities.

Terrible writing because it is a plot hole, this would be like John delaying for more than 60 minutes to use the fire alarm also call the Cops after Hans and his crew took over Nakatomi Building.

Also, he could have told his neighbor that he saw at the Church which does help him in the movie in the climax so that is another no excuse for him to delay using the obvious solution before he leaves the Church.

It wasn't a good movie and John Hughes is over rated. All his movies were problematic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

What person exactly was responsible for the New Orleans Axeman Murders?

Movie The Running Man
    Would Ben have defeated Captain Freedom if he fought Captain Freedom?
    Captain Freedom is undefeated, and that answer is unanswerable since that fight really doesn't happen in the movie instead of editing so the desired result that Killian wants happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It wasn't a good movie and John Hughes is over rated. All his movies were problematic.
    I liked Uncle Buck.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I liked Uncle Buck.
    His movies weren't bad. Most had interesting characters and good moments, it's just that they don't quite hold together.