Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

I am not talking about transporting across galactic distances, in stead of space ships (sorry for the confusing wording of my post) I mean shouldn't just about everything on Earth be moved by transporter, not all those futuristic, but recognizable vehicles.

Incredible Member Moral_Gutpunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Another thing that Star Trek avoids with this tech is that it doesn't matter if any crew member dies. Just store a backup of the data and reconstitute anyone you lose. And even though you have to destroy a person to copy them, there's nothing to stop you from making multiple copies and beaming an army of Kirks throughout the universe.
    Well, killing your own clone is still murder, so it probably applies to clone armies, too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moral_Gutpunch View Post
    Well, killing your own clone is still murder, so it probably applies to clone armies, too.
    Killing a person to create an exact clone of them would be murder, apparently laws are different in the Trek universe.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I am not talking about transporting across galactic distances, in stead of space ships (sorry for the confusing wording of my post) I mean shouldn't just about everything on Earth be moved by transporter, not all those futuristic, but recognizable vehicles.

Yeah. The argument there is that there'd be crossed signals, because of too many people/things being beamed criss-cross, etc.

This doesn't make a huge great lot of sense, but well, that's Star Trek.

They have replicators, but there are also recognized and functioning economies based in precious metals. There are transporters and replicators, but everyone worth anything works for this big colonial military that gauges societies almost solely by their level of transportation technology.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 04-03-2016 at 10:12 AM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

And then there is the Prime Directive. It's one thing to not interfere with a species development. But taking it so far as to allow a species to die of a natural disaster or genocide. What harm is interfering doing if doing nothing means there is no longer a species that the interference will matter?

And then there is the Prime Directive. It's one thing to not interfere with a species development. But taking it so far as to allow a species to die of a natural disaster or genocide. What harm is interfering doing if doing nothing means there is no longer a species that the interference will matter?
    The Federation is really weird in that. They're allowed to say what can and can't be done regarding other cultures, even non-members, or non-member to non-member, but non-members or members cannot dictate policy on involvement to the Federation.

There was a whole episode of TNG revolving around Picard getting mad because a people didn't want their sacred, historical artifacts removed from their custody by the Federation and science says the Federation and Picard's wealthy white man in charge of a big ship curiosity are more important than "don't rob people."

For whatever other flaws, I liked that DS9 spelled out Federation hypocrisy louder than usual.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Killing a person to create an exact clone of them would be murder, apparently laws are different in the Trek universe.
    Not according to Odo.

Not according to Odo.
    He'd be enforcing Bajoran local law, though. Or, more often that not, winging it based on personal assessment. Bajor never joined the Federation, on tv, afaik, but remained a Federation ally.

Maybe they only work along line-of-sight?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Maybe they only work along line-of-sight?
    First, we know that's not true. based on numerous episodes. Second they could bounce it off of satellites.

First, we know that's not true. based on numerous episodes. Second they could bounce it off of satellites.
    Oh .

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Why does Doctor Robotnick a genius continue to use undeniable hopeless henchmen Grounder and Scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    Why does Doctor Robotnick a genius continue to use undeniable hopeless henchmen Grounder and Scratch?
    I think that's only in the continuity of that cartoon and doesn't follow several games, the comics, or the cartoon that spun-off of the comic.

Sorry that doesn't answer your question.

Which is a better doctor, Dr. Pepper or Dr. Seuss?

I think that's only in the continuity of that cartoon and doesn't follow several games, the comics, or the cartoon that spun-off of the comic.

Sorry that doesn't answer your question.

Which is a batter doctor, Dr. Pepper or Dr. Seuss?

You mean better.

Anacondas the Hunt for the Blood Orchid
    Would the blood orchid have given humans a longer life like the fountain of youth as the research suggested?

Original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers tv show
    Why did the original pink ranger costume have a skirt but not one for the other girl that is the yellow ranger?