Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    If you are walking on the edge of a winding gorge, you feel the need to live in the moment, you don’t think about the past nor the future…

However, people who learned how to meditate say it’s a training, you train your mind to focus. You don’t need to give a lot of money to learn how to meditate, there are books…
    I've been doing meditating lately and this "be in the moment" thing is what I have a problem with. Seems to me if I try to be in the moment it's like watching cars go past--each moment goes by and is in the past and then another is coming up ahead. How can you ever be in the moment--it's illogical.

A few years ago, I was in the Rocky Mountains with a friend and we went along this trail above a winding gorge. We went along this narrow path okay, but going back there was a point in the path that was so narrow that I couldn't walk on. I was paralyzed with fear of losing my footing and falling to my death. I was thinking I might have to stay right there for hours while my friend went and got a rescue team. Finally I decided to try scampering up the sheer face of the rocks, crawling up to a place where I could stand up and walk away from the gorge and then around to meet my friend further on.

In all that experience, I never felt in the moment. To go along that path, I had to look ahead and anticipate where I was going. If I stayed in the moment, I would have fallen onto the rocks below and died. It's not being in the moment that helps us survive. You have to think about where you're going and how to get there, use your past experience to inform your choices, come up with different scenarios to follow. That's reality. Anyone who says they are in the moment is lying (to themselves at the very least)--the human body doesn't work that way. The only time you're in the moment is when you're dead--but then you're not a you anymore, because you don't exist.

The people who write the books do it for the money. In the book I'm using, the writer keeps talking about all the seminars he gives--and I imagine those are expensive. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    Is there maybe a Scooby Doo reference in there or is that just a coincidence?

Is there a science fiction version of Solomon Kane but hunting aliens instead of supernatural monsters?

Extraordinary Member

What if all the bad guys in the old Perry Mason show decided not to confess dramatically during questioning? Why did anyone ever talk to Columbo? Especially after that "One more thing..."? Why not say "Talk to my lawyer"?

The Fantastic Four had to have their uniforms made by Reed to match their powers. Yet in FF#1 Johnny's space suit does not burn up when he activates his flame, Sue's Uniform Disappears with her, and Reeds Stretches with him. yet none have been treated by Reed in the way their clothes were later to match their powers. At the very least after using his flame powers Jonny should have been nude as his clothes burned.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Maybe they became unstable molecules after absorbing the cosmic rays, and that's the inspiration Reed took to invent them as a costume material for superheroes everywhere to avoid questions about their durability. That'd be the No-Prize answer anyway, or a potential one.

BANNED

Semi-related, has there ever been an FF story where Doom was responsible for sabotaging the FF's shuttle, as revenge for the "sabotage" he thought Reed had perpetrated on his experimental attempt to contact his mother's soul, only to watch them become the world's premier superhero team? In my headcanon that's what happened, but I think it'd make for a good story if it hasn't been told that way.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Do persons that complain about Superman killing in the Man of Steel not realize their hypocrisy if they aren’t complaining Superman killed Doomsday in the comic books, Clark killing Titan in the Smallville Tv Drama, Brainiac in the Smallville tv show, he killed Brainiac and Imperiex in Action Comics (volume 1) issue 782, Superman killing Nuclear Man in the terrible movie Superman The Quest For Peace, Superman killing Zod and the Phantom Zone criminals in Superman (volume 2) issue 22, etc.

I highly doubt those persons that complain about Superman killing Zod in the movie Man of Steel can give a strong explanation for why then complaining about Superman killing Zod isn’t hypocritical if they don’t complain about the irrefutable above examples when Superman killed foes.

Also Superman showed a reaction of anguish, and Zod left him with little choice because Zod refused to stop using his heat vision that would have killed the family.
    Also that result completely fits the tone of the reboot Man of Steel movie, and also it’s very damn boring if super hero movies constantly have a super hero that can use a peaceful perfect resolution.

Also I highly doubt DC comics could give a strong explanation why Green Arrow using the domino mask with no hood isn’t s abysmal paper thin disguise if DC Comics doesn’t have an issue with that irrefutable astronomical flaw.
    The undeniable fact the domino mask was criticized by Green Arrow in a mainstream DC Comics comic book as a extremely flimsy disguise is something they could not argue against, and I utterly doubt they could give a strong explanation for why the domino mask isn’t a flimsy disguise for him.

Also the terrible movie Green Lantern showed that astronomical flaw that a domino mask is a flimsy disguise because in the movie Carol Ferris was able to visibly recognize a earth Green Lantern is Hal Jordan because the domino mask didn’t cover much of his face, his hair was utter visible and unchanged.

Zack, is that you posting again?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    Is there a science fiction version of Solomon Kane but hunting aliens instead of supernatural monsters?
    Can't think of one, though not as well-read on the sci-fi fantasy stuff as I'd like to be, but I was rewatching "Dreamcatcher" the other day and I'd say Morgan Freeman's character's a bit like that. Mission first, right is right, no time for morality. But hey, you could always make one if you're into the writing thing (or comics if also the drawing thing). Everybody's a copy of somebody, why not give it a go?

Posted in wrong thread. Sorry.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Zack, is that you posting again?
    I am not Zack Snyder.

Did the Devil tell Tamara Laroux to kill herself?
    Suicide is a sin which is why it is most plausible that the Devil told her to kill herself.

Extraordinary Member

I mentioned this in another thread, but the question bothers me, so if anyone knows the answer...

Anyhow, my question is just what is it that Sauron planned to do with the Ring if he got it back. It seemed as if to make use of it, anyone would have to put it on a finger, even Sauron himself. So....now that he's...er....finger challenged, how did he plan on using it? And why even make a Ring to control all others when he simply could have fought them himself and with his armies. Looked like he was making a good job of it until he decided to get all grabby, and even then, if he hadn't made the Ring and had it chopped off with his fingers, he would have won. So...was he just being all super-villain, or did he in fact have an actual plan for all that?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    what is it that Sauron planned to do with the Ring if he got it back
    Nothing beside getting a power up. (and looking quite fancy)

But the ring is so linked to him that its destruction means Sauron's too so, yeah, that's a pretty damn good reason for him to want it back.

In a way it's somewhat similar to Voldermort and his deathly allows. In the sens that you can kill him because of those objects. (which is ironic)

And if you want to know why the ring is linked to him in the first place, well, once upon a time in Eregion....
    Last edited by Starter Set; 09-07-2021 at 05:38 AM.