For superficial reasons at first, really. Hawkman just looks cool, so how could anyone not be drawn to the character? Katar Hol was also an alien lawman, though, so not only did he hit people with large medieval weapons, but he also had access to some of the most sophisticated tech in the DC Universe. The dichotomy there, then--not just ancient and futuristic, but also fantasy and sci-fi--made the Silver Age Hawkman particularly intriguing to me. The lawman part was also crucial, however. Here's a superhero who does the right thing for the right thing's sake; not because his parents were murdered or he failed to stop a robber who would later shoot a relative. I find that origin incredibly noble in its simplicity.

At the end of the day, though, it's Hawkman's personality quirks that are the most influential in my appreciation for the character. He's cultured and smart, but he also has a temper. This is something I can personally relate to. Better still is his relationship with his partner and wife, Hawkgirl, who more often than not tempers his less than desirable traits. As I've gotten older, I've become more and more of a hopeless romantic, which makes their relationship really central to my fondness for Hawkman anymore. It's also why I tend to still prefer the Thanagarians over the Ancient Egyptian Hawks: The latter are destined to be together, whereas the former chose one another. Their marriage isn't perfect, because no marriage is, but when all is said and done they're best friends who complete one another, both on and off the battlefield. I just find that very inspirational, and I really wish DC would go back to this status quo.

So Hawkman's my answer, easily. It's a fandom that was admittedly born of aesthetics, but it's the character's rich history and multifaceted personality that's kept me interested for all these many years. Some aspects have certainly changed, and not always for the better either, but through it all Hawkman, at his core, has remained the same gruff warrior with a good heart that I love to root for.