Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 96
  1. #46
    The Winged Wonder Hawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    834

    Default



    For superficial reasons at first, really. Hawkman just looks cool, so how could anyone not be drawn to the character? Katar Hol was also an alien lawman, though, so not only did he hit people with large medieval weapons, but he also had access to some of the most sophisticated tech in the DC Universe. The dichotomy there, then--not just ancient and futuristic, but also fantasy and sci-fi--made the Silver Age Hawkman particularly intriguing to me. The lawman part was also crucial, however. Here's a superhero who does the right thing for the right thing's sake; not because his parents were murdered or he failed to stop a robber who would later shoot a relative. I find that origin incredibly noble in its simplicity.

    At the end of the day, though, it's Hawkman's personality quirks that are the most influential in my appreciation for the character. He's cultured and smart, but he also has a temper. This is something I can personally relate to. Better still is his relationship with his partner and wife, Hawkgirl, who more often than not tempers his less than desirable traits. As I've gotten older, I've become more and more of a hopeless romantic, which makes their relationship really central to my fondness for Hawkman anymore. It's also why I tend to still prefer the Thanagarians over the Ancient Egyptian Hawks: The latter are destined to be together, whereas the former chose one another. Their marriage isn't perfect, because no marriage is, but when all is said and done they're best friends who complete one another, both on and off the battlefield. I just find that very inspirational, and I really wish DC would go back to this status quo.

    So Hawkman's my answer, easily. It's a fandom that was admittedly born of aesthetics, but it's the character's rich history and multifaceted personality that's kept me interested for all these many years. Some aspects have certainly changed, and not always for the better either, but through it all Hawkman, at his core, has remained the same gruff warrior with a good heart that I love to root for.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

  2. #47
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post

    At the end of the day, though, it's Hawkman's personality quirks that are the most influential in my appreciation for the character. He's cultured and smart, but he also has a temper. This is something I can personally relate to. Better still is his relationship with his partner and wife, Hawkgirl, who more often than not tempers his less than desirable traits. As I've gotten older, I've become more and more of a hopeless romantic, which makes their relationship really central to my fondness for Hawkman anymore. It's also why I tend to still prefer the Thanagarians over the Ancient Egyptian Hawks: The latter are destined to be together, whereas the former chose one another. Their marriage isn't perfect, because no marriage is, but when all is said and done they're best friends who complete one another, both on and off the battlefield. I just find that very inspirational, and I really wish DC would go back to this status quo.
    Just sold me on Hawkman. Where should I start (I already have Johns JSA)?

  3. #48
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Stark Unlimited
    Posts
    5,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    Attachment 30941


    I love how he's on a team full of aliens, mystical beings, geniuses and he can still hold his own. He's very flawed, he's human, he's relatable. I can very much relate to the tough choices he had to make over the years. Even though, I love the character. I believe there's still some untapped potential there.
    Mines too and for a lot of the same reasons you've mentioned. I love that he has liberal views and he's not afraid to fight for them. I love to see him go against guys like Deathsroke and still give them a fight. I love that he stands up to Superman and Batman and puts them in there place.
    " I've learned that free will isn't a gift-it's muscle that needs to be exercised-and only when it's in peak condition-is a man truly awake" TONY STARK

  4. #49
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post


    For superficial reasons at first, really. Hawkman just looks cool, so how could anyone not be drawn to the character? Katar Hol was also an alien lawman, though, so not only did he hit people with large medieval weapons, but he also had access to some of the most sophisticated tech in the DC Universe. The dichotomy there, then--not just ancient and futuristic, but also fantasy and sci-fi--made the Silver Age Hawkman particularly intriguing to me. The lawman part was also crucial, however. Here's a superhero who does the right thing for the right thing's sake; not because his parents were murdered or he failed to stop a robber who would later shoot a relative. I find that origin incredibly noble in its simplicity.

    At the end of the day, though, it's Hawkman's personality quirks that are the most influential in my appreciation for the character. He's cultured and smart, but he also has a temper. This is something I can personally relate to. Better still is his relationship with his partner and wife, Hawkgirl, who more often than not tempers his less than desirable traits. As I've gotten older, I've become more and more of a hopeless romantic, which makes their relationship really central to my fondness for Hawkman anymore. It's also why I tend to still prefer the Thanagarians over the Ancient Egyptian Hawks: The latter are destined to be together, whereas the former chose one another. Their marriage isn't perfect, because no marriage is, but when all is said and done they're best friends who complete one another, both on and off the battlefield. I just find that very inspirational, and I really wish DC would go back to this status quo.

    So Hawkman's my answer, easily. It's a fandom that was admittedly born of aesthetics, but it's the character's rich history and multifaceted personality that's kept me interested for all these many years. Some aspects have certainly changed, and not always for the better either, but through it all Hawkman, at his core, has remained the same gruff warrior with a good heart that I love to root for.
    Wonderful tribute to a great character.

  5. #50
    Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Tacoma, WA.
    Posts
    2,776

    Default

    The good old days.
    GreenArrowHawkman.jpg

  6. #51
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,118

    Default

    LOL, I love the "molting" comment and the shot at the beard. That they resorted to that level.

  7. #52
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Superman, the ultimate good guy.

  8. #53
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Superman- he's wish fulfillment on so many levels.

    He's the guy with more power than anyone else but you can trust him to do the right thing. He's not going to be roughing up some innocent guy just because he can or using too much force to stop someone committing a misdemeanor. He's not looking to take your faith in him as a way to line his own pockets. He gives his opinion at points, but he's not on TV every five seconds claiming he has the ultimate answer to every problem. He is absolute power that doesn't corrupt absolutely.

    When things look the darkest he always shows up. In a blizzard, a hurricane, a forest fire ... he'll be there even if it's only a kitten in a tree that needs rescuing. Every life matters to the guy.

    As Clark Kent he's this nobody who jocks make fun of, women won't give a second glance to, and yet if anyone looked just beyond the clothes and glasses there is the most amazing guy on the planet right in front of them.

  9. #54
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    The good old days.
    GreenArrowHawkman.jpg
    I would rather see this in Justice League, instead of Bats vs Hal.

  10. #55
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,939

    Default

    at the moment in dc, is hawkman ancient Egyptian or thanagarian?

  11. #56
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    at the moment in dc, is hawkman ancient Egyptian or thanagarian?
    Thanagarian in the comics. The TV shows are going with ancient Egyptian.

  12. #57
    The Winged Wonder Hawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Just sold me on Hawkman. Where should I start (I already have Johns JSA)?
    If what you specifically quoted me on is what most appealed to you, then I would actually recommended you start by checking out Ben Raab's Legend of the Hawkman mini-series. It's the most modern depiction of the Silver Age version of the characters that's out there (aside from the recent Convergence: Hawkman tie-in, anyway), and it really captures the personalities of and the relationship shared between Katar and Shayera in just three maxi-sized issues. Very underrated series, too.

    If, however, you don't mind Silver Age hijinks, then definitely give the two Showcase Presents: Hawkman volumes a shot. Lots of old school fun to be found there, but again, the Hawks' partnership is what's at center stage through it all.

    Really, though, most of the quirks I mentioned are handled at some point in most Hawkman-centric titles, and it's a little known fact that all of his series range anywhere from good to great at some point. Tim Truman's original Hawkworld mini-series is absolutely phenomenal (my favorite Hawkman story of all time, although very light on the interplay between Katar and Shayera), and the ongoing series that followed is pretty strong, too. The Shadow War of Hawkman by Tony Isabella is somewhat dated now, but nonetheless very well written, and like Raab's Legend of it does a particularly great job of highlighting Katar and Shayera's marriage. And while Johns' [i]Hawkman[i] Vol. 4 (which goes very well with his JSA work that you mentioned already having) centers more around the Egyptian prince origin than anything else, there's a lot of Katar's personality and relationships to be found in that run, too, so Hawkman's still recognizably Hawkman throughout.

    With the possible exception of Hawkman Vol. 3 and The Savage Hawkman (both of which, by the way, I still enjoyed on some level), you honestly can't go wrong with anything that has the word "Hawk" on the title if you're looking for good Hawkman stories. I think Legend of the Hawkman, however, is the most likely to give you a good first impression of the character and leave you wanting more.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

  13. #58
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,181

    Default

    The good and the bad thing about Hawkman (Katar Hol) was that no other artist could ever draw the mask as well as Joe Kubert. Kubert created a mask that was awesome. Other artists had a problem capturing the right perspective and shading to achieve the same effect. Many artists end up changing the mask just so they can handle it better, but when that happens then Hawkman is not as good.
    celebrating 50 years of 4 beatles crossing a zebra

  14. #59
    Newbie Member Saloooh91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Riddler & Joker

    I like the Riddler because I fell in love with the character after playing the Arkham series game.
    sddefault.jpg

    Joker. Well he's Joker! Batmans ultimate nemesis. Everything about the Joker is cool. The clothes. Voice. Crime activities.
    Favourite Comic Books:-

    Batman: The Killing Joke
    Batman: Earth One series
    The Dark Knight Returns

  15. #60
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    14,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Just sold me on Hawkman. Where should I start (I already have Johns JSA)?
    Johns' Hawkman is really good.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever"--Isaiah 40:8

    “A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

    “You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.”--The Doctor

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •