View Poll Results: Pre-Flashpoint Batverse or New 52 Batverse? Which Would You Rather Have?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Flashpoint Batverse

39 79.59%
  • New 52 Batverse

10 20.41%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default Pre-Flashpoint Batverse or New 52 Batverse? Which Would You Rather Have?

Which would you rather DC do, go back to the Pre-Flashpoint Batverse or keep the New 52 Batverse?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

While I have enjoyed Snyder and Capullo's Batman and other things about the New 52 Batverse, I would rather see DC go back to Pre-Flashpoint Batverse because it was awesome. Tim had a better origin, was Red Robin and had his own book. Steph was Batgirl and had her own book. Dick was Nightwing and had his own book. Cass was the Black Bat and I liked how she was the daughter of Cain and Shiva. I like Babs better as Oracle. It was just a better time.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    . . . Dick was Nightwing and had his own book . . .
    Uh, before the New52 launch, when was the last time Dick had his own book titled Nightwing?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Uh, before the New52 launch, when was the last time Dick had his own book titled Nightwing?
    About 2 years before. Why? If the New 52 hadn't happened, I have no doubt that Nightwing would have got another book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    About 2 years before. Why? If the New 52 hadn't happened, I have no doubt that Nightwing would have got another book.
    I believe that MajorHoy was getting at the fact that all the status quos you listed (Tim as Red Robin, Steph at Batgirl, Cass as Black Bat) occurred during the days of Dickbats.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    I believe that MajorHoy was getting at the fact that all the status quos you listed (Tim as Red Robin, Steph at Batgirl, Cass as Black Bat) occurred during the days of Dickbats.
    My point is that I would rather go back to those characters having their own books than what we have now. As I stated above, I do like some of the things that have been published in the New 52, but if I had my choice, I'd rather have the old books back.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

The pre-FP Batverse and it's not even close. That's the best comic continuity/canon that Batman will ever have. It incorporated most of the pre-COIE stuff & then added all this great stuff from 1986-2011.

In my head canon, it's still canon now, I just pretend Snyder is continuing that Batverse and I ignore/explain away things that don't fit with the pre-FP Batverse.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    The pre-FP Batverse and it's not even close. That's the best comic continuity/canon that Batman will ever have. It incorporated most of the pre-COIE stuff & then added all this great stuff from 1986-2011.

In my head canon, it's still canon now, I just pretend Snyder is continuing that Batverse and I ignore/explain away things that don't fit with the pre-FP Batverse.
    LOL, same here.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I loved Zero Year, but most of the other stuff I like in Snyder's work would fit pre-Flashpoint, and that universe obviously wins just by having Morrison's whole Batman run (I realize the last lap of that ostensibly took place in the New 52, but no, no it obviously could not and did not for many, many reasons. I think of that as the equivalent of playing a video game with alternate costumes, when really Bruce is supposed to be wearing the yellow oval and Dick is still supposed to also be Batman).
    Buh-bye

Obviously most of the greatest Batman stories told are in the pre-FP continuity, so it's very appealing. But we're several years into this new continuity and so a step backwards would be exactly that for me... backwards. I'd rather they'd just commit to this timeline, take advantage of it, and continue to tell fresh high quality Batman stories. Batman changed/suffered the least out of the reboot. Nothing is preventing me from going back and enjoying pre-FP stuff whenever I want.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Pre-Flashpoint, for sure. As long as Dick was either still Batman, or the same as he is now in GRAYSON. No Nightwing.

Also a Batgirl/Black Bat book for Cassandra Cain since without her history with Batman, she just just a lite version of the gal I adore.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post

I would have loved to get a couple of more years out of the post-Final Crisis Batfamily, and then transition into this post-Flashpoint era. Most of the good stories (outside of Batgirl, probably) to come out of post-Flashpoint are still viable without the reboot.

Hmm, a mix of both honestly. The 5 year time line they can shove up their butt though.

Extraordinary Member

The old continuity, but not pre flash point, more pre OYL even on a earlyer status quo.

The preflashpoint continuty also wasn't hat great in the end.

Cassandra was shipped of to Hong Kong.

Dick had no real direction after Bludhaven was gone.

Killing of Tims family was also a bad idea imo.

The BoP were better with just Oracle, canary, Huntress and Lady Black Hawk, before it was turned into a team for all female C-List heros.

What they did with Jason in the end was also awful.

And I'm generally not a fan of Morrison's run.

Amazing Member

It may be because I'm newer to this but I don't understand what the big deal is with continuity? I take the story for what it is and enjoy it. It honestly doesn't bother me if it doesn't jive with a previous story as long as it is enjoyable. Serious question from a newbie,why do people get so hung up on continuity?