BANNED

Default Iron Man's erased memories

In Invincible Iron Man #5 (2016) Tony Stark seems to not recognize Mary Jane, despite having lived with her during the 2005-2006 era of Spider-Man when the Parker family were living in Avengers Tower with and the other New Avengers.

One potential explanation I've heard is that Tony doesn't remember her because during Matt Fraction's (?) run on Iron Man some of his memories were erased.

I'm not overly familiar with Iron Man and didn't read that stuff. It's my understanding his memories of Civil War were erased but I don't know if he got those back or if the erasure including stuff before Civil War too.

Could somebody please clarify this for me?

Mighty Member

He did say she looked familiar.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

In response to your question I do recall Fraction having Tony erase some of his memories to stop Osborn.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    He did say she looked familiar.
    Surely he'd remember she was that woman he lived with who was basically married to Spider-Man if he had all his memories.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    In response to your question I do recall Fraction having Tony erase some of his memories to stop Osborn.
    But how far back did the erasure go. What memories got wiped?

Mighty Member

the marriage was undone by mephisto, so maybe that messed with those particular moments, and tony stark is definitely the kind of guy to forget about the little people, let alone his sort of protégé's girlfriend.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    But how far back did the erasure go. What memories got wiped?
    I'd have to go through my boxes and find the issues to be certain. It's been a while since I've read it. I do remember he basically didn't remember cloning Thor so it seemed to go a fair way back.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

IIRC, it was everything between the Extremis arc and Dark Reign that got wiped out, so most of his time living with Peter and the New Avengers got wiped out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    IIRC, it was everything between the Extremis arc and Dark Reign that got wiped out, so most of his time living with Peter and the New Avengers got wiped out.
    Thanks. Has he regained those memories since then? If not that'd explain the discontinuity error.

No he hasn't, those memories are completely gone. Everything he knows about that time period is second-hand.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post
    No he hasn't, those memories are completely gone. Everything he knows about that time period is second-hand.
    Well then that solves that mystery.

Bendis didn't make a mistake after all.