Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    My guess is that due to the makeup of the team that post-Shattered Grid the threat of Drakkon is ended but nothing else has been fixed yet, so that's what future Kim and this new team will be working for. What that means for the OG Rangers is the big question.
    Kind of like that X-Treme X-Men book made up of members from different universes. Or the new Exiles book.

Yeah. The fun thing about these books is that unlike with bigger superhero worlds they don't have to strictly adhere to any continuity or status quo. If they want to break all the things they can and it can still be a fun story.

I'm in the opposite boat from cc008 here. Sure, MMPR was my gateway drug, but child-me stuck with Rangers through 'til In Space (not sure why I stopped there, though that was very much the 'end of an era' so it retroactively makes sense), and after late-teens-me stumbled upon Dino Thunder repeats during a bank holiday and was instantly smitten by Tommy's return and the obvious improvements in writing and production compared to the old days, I basically took a deep dive on blasting through all the stuff I'd missed. These days I am far more attached to the franchise as a whole than to MMPR specifically, which has made Shattered Grid very enjoyable...while also filling me with a sense of trepidation over what comes next. After being spoiled with multiversal coolness, how could I ever go back to just the original crew?

So this news is very welcome. I'm not the biggest follower of Marguerite Bennett but what I've read of hers I've enjoyed, and while this specific mish-mash team isn't one I'd have picked (sure, Cam's the best one from Ninja Storm but...is Ninja Storm anyone's favourite series?) (even just counting the Disney era?) there's enough potential here to sate me. There's also Magna Defender, who deserves to be in any team just because he's named MAGNA DEFENDER.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    I'm in the opposite boat from cc008 here. Sure, MMPR was my gateway drug, but child-me stuck with Rangers through 'til In Space (not sure why I stopped there, though that was very much the 'end of an era' so it retroactively makes sense), and after late-teens-me stumbled upon Dino Thunder repeats during a bank holiday and was instantly smitten by Tommy's return and the obvious improvements in writing and production compared to the old days, I basically took a deep dive on blasting through all the stuff I'd missed. These days I am far more attached to the franchise as a whole than to MMPR specifically, which has made Shattered Grid very enjoyable...while also filling me with a sense of trepidation over what comes next. After being spoiled with multiversal coolness, how could I ever go back to just the original crew?

So this news is very welcome. I'm not the biggest follower of Marguerite Bennett but what I've read of hers I've enjoyed, and while this specific mish-mash team isn't one I'd have picked (sure, Cam's the best one from Ninja Storm but...is Ninja Storm anyone's favourite series?) (even just counting the Disney era?) there's enough potential here to sate me. There's also Magna Defender, who deserves to be in any team just because he's named MAGNA DEFENDER.
    I'm quite fond of the Disney era series. Other than OO they were all enjoyable too me.

Jungle Fury is criminally underrated.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

CraigTheCylon highlights something about Power Rangers I think makes it uniquely interesting as a superhero franchise. With properties like Marvel's and DC or even something like Ninja Turtles, no matter how long those properties run they still tend to go back to the same set of popular characters and themes. Even if they get drastically reinvented there's still that hint of nostaligic familiarity to it. The side-effect of this is that it can be difficult to launch new characters when they're always stuck in the shadow of older established ones.

But with Power Rangers the show practically ever season you're dealing with new characters, themes, villains, the works. So every fan's entry point into the series is going to be a different and the continually rotating story invites a wider variety of characters to shine and stories to be told.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    I'm quite fond of the Disney era series. Other than OO they were all enjoyable too me.

Jungle Fury is criminally underrated.
    Oh, I didn't mean to diss the Disney era. It's what brought me back into the fold, after all. As you say, Operation Overdrive aside (which was baaaaaaaad) the show had a really good batting average over those years - I'd single out SPD and RPM especially as being as good as Power Rangers can get.

Point was, though - if you only had to pick ONE Disney-era team to spotlight here...how many would actually go with Ninja Storm as their first choice? Speaking for myself, I rank that second-worst of the Disney series; still a ways above Overdrive but behind everything else.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Oh, I didn't mean to diss the Disney era. It's what brought me back into the fold, after all. As you say, Operation Overdrive aside (which was baaaaaaaad) the show had a really good batting average over those years - I'd single out SPD and RPM especially as being as good as Power Rangers can get.

Point was, though - if you only had to pick ONE Disney-era team to spotlight here...how many would actually go with Ninja Storm as their first choice? Speaking for myself, I rank that second-worst of the Disney series; still a ways above Overdrive but behind everything else.
    I get whatcha saying. NS is good but its not great/memorable...I did like Lothor though.

I was never super high on RPM. There was a good concept behind it, but it never clicked with me. (Plus i was never too high on the theme song). Same thing happened to me with In Space.

DT and JF to me were the best of the Disney era
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Just caught up to Free Comic day Shatter Grid on Might Morphin... Damn good series.

Read the first two issues of Go Go and its very interesting to see the team dynamics when they first got started. I am curious about so much emphasis being put on Kimberly's boyfriend.

Looking forward to catching up to Shatter Grid... well not really. I've been enjoying the binge reading as I hate waiting month to month.

If I had one critique, Rita is a bit boring and it's hard to take her serious. Like the best suspenseful threats came from evil Tommy and the troll dude. Even at the beginning of Go Go, the Rangers are already making a mockery of Repulsa.
    Last edited by Askia; 06-20-2018 at 04:44 AM.
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Askia View Post
    Just caught up to Free Comic day Shatter Grid on Might Morphin... Damn good series.

Read the first two issues of Go Go and its very interesting to see the team dynamics when they first got started. I am curious about so much emphasis being put on Kelly's boyfriend (forgot his name).

Looking forward to catching up to Shatter Grid... well not really. I've been enjoying the binge reading as I hate waiting month to month.

If I had one critique, Rita is a bit boring and it's hard to take her serious. Like the best suspenseful threats came from evil Tommy and the troll dude. Even at the beginning of Go Go, the Rangers are already making a mockery of Repulsa.
    While I think between Go Go and the main title they've done a suitable job of expanding on Rita as a character...i do feel she's a rather untapped gold mine for character development that BOOM had neglected.

I think a Rita origin story mini-series would be pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Askia View Post

Read the first two issues of Go Go and its very interesting to see the team dynamics when they first got started. I am curious about so much emphasis being put on Kelly's boyfriend (forgot his name).

Who's Kelly?

Kimberly's boyfriend is called Matt.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Woops. My bad
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Oh god, I thought Bennett was only taking over the main series. I didn't realize she was also doing Go Go...

Not cool Boom. Not cool.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    Oh god, I thought Bennett was only taking over the main series. I didn't realize she was also doing Go Go...

Not cool Boom. Not cool.
    I thought Go Go was staying the same.

https://twitter.com/ThatRyanParrott/...70025648406528
    Last edited by cc008; 06-20-2018 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I thought Go Go was staying the same.

https://twitter.com/ThatRyanParrott/...70025648406528
    Hmm... In the solicitations it says "Go Go Power Rangers: Back to School #1" is written by Bennett. Maybe it's just a one-shot?
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    Hmm... In the solicitations it says "Go Go Power Rangers: Back to School #1" is written by Bennett. Maybe it's just a one-shot?
    It is a one shot.