Extraordinary Member

Default Helen of Wyndhorn by Tom King and Bilquis Evely

Helen of Wyndhorn follows Helen Cole, who is left a sizable estate from her father C.K. Cole after the famed pulp writer passes away. The house is impressive, but Helen isn't a fan at first and causes havoc after arriving at Wyndhorn House. She slowly starts to find however that the walls of this estate contain a myriad of secrets, and soon she may even discover that the adventures her father wrote about are more than just adventures, and they might be living right around the corner. You can find the official description below.

"Following the tragic death of her father C.K. Cole, the esteemed pulp writer and creator of the popular warrior character Othan, Helen Cole is called to her grandfather's enormous and illustrious estate: Wyndhorn House. Scarred by Cole's untimely passing and lost in a new, strange world, Helen wreaks drunken havoc upon her arrival. However, her chaotic ways begin to soften as she discovers a lifetime of secrets hiding within the myriad rooms and hallways of the expansive manor. For outside its walls, within the woods, dwell the legendary adventures that once were locked away within her father's stories."

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Looks cool! This creative team will always have an audience. I’m hit or miss on King myself but Supergirl was one of the hits for me so this def piques my interest.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

Helen of Wyndhorn #1 Variant by Elsa Charretier

Helen of Wyndhorn #1 Variant by Massimo Carnevale

Helen of Wyndhorn #1 Variant by Tula Lotay

Extraordinary Member

Helen of Wyndhorn #1 Variant by Clay Mann

Helen of Wyndhorn #1 Variant by Walt Simonson

Helen of Wyndhorn #1 Variant by Greg Smallwood

Extraordinary Member

Helen of Wyndhorn #1 Preview
    Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Bilquis Evely

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Has anyone actually READ this yet? And--?
    Won't get my copy til next week--just hoping it reads as nicely as its covers look.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Has anyone actually READ this yet? And--?
    Won't get my copy til next week--just hoping it reads as nicely as its covers look.
    I did, and I enjoyed the first issue. I worry because King often has a problem sticking the landing on a lot of his projects, but it was a promising start.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Having read this, it almost makes me wonder if Tom had pitched an Elsa Bloodstone series to Marvel...of which I think I would rather enjoy seeing Tom write after reading this. As for Helen of Wyndhorn....I had only read the initial solicitation and was willing to give it a go because Bilquis Evely's art is just splendid. Since I have to pre-order I am in for at least the first three issues. Having read it, I can say I am along for the ride. First off, Evely is just sublime. Her style reminds me of something between Esteban Maroto's and Michael Kaluta's work and it shines in this kind of setting much more suited to her than Wonder Woman or Supergirl, despite having been beautifully drawn as they were.
    King really wants to be a novelist I think. His heavy use of caption boxes fortunately doesn't distract from Evely's work and does well to tell the story he's set up as flashbacks. Grandpa's arrival at the end was interesting. Novel? Imaginative? Not really, but it was good. like I said, I'm definitely along for the ride.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It started out with an interesting love letter to Robert E. Howard and I'm interested to see where it goes.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!