Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Fair enough. My main reason for wanting to figure out if the minis are canon to the main Boom comics or not is because I'm aware that Pink establishes a fact that would invalidate certain ongoing story threads in the Go Go series (or at least "doom" it to one ultimate outcome, making it hard to be invested in watching it unfold, beyond the fact that it would be an outcome I personally don't want to see happen) if the two comics are supposed to be in the same timeline.
    If you're referring to what I think you are, I honestly can't say one way or the other. Pink! was pretty in-line with the TV show's continuity from what I remember. And without getting spoilery, the way MMPR the comic progressed it ultimately may not matter. At this point I consider it a nice contained story that gives Kim a nice sendoff away from the series.

Regarding Go Go Power Rangers: Back to School out today: I'm usually not to into these anthology style comics, but the Power Rangers have had noticeably good ones and this might be the best yet. This issue is BIG on the warm fuzzies. If you love the Rangers as friends and don't mind a bit of cheese you will enjoy this. But the cheesy bits come in mostly at the end.

With the Rangers individual stories we get several unique and creative takes on each of the Rangers that range from heartwarming to heart-wrenching. I thought Billy's took an unexpected approach to dealing with his theme that I found endearing, and Zack's touches on one of those questions that comes up when you start taking Power Rangers a little more seriously than was originally intended.

Definite recommend.
    Last edited by ariwl1; 09-19-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    If you're referring to what I think you are, I honestly can't say one way or the other.
    spoilers:
    Having Zack and Trini dating in Pink does kinda hamstring Go Go's idea that Trini has feelings for Jason if the two stories are supposed to be in the same continuity.

I'm also not exactly tickled pink (pun intended) of the idea that the G1 Rangers getting written out; while I do respect that the franchise overall has had multiple incarnations a la Star Trek, I personally don't have any interest outside of the original five-person team, so I'd actually like it if G1 stay the core Ranger team for the entirety of Boom's run (mileage may vary).
    end of spoilers

Pink! was pretty in-line with the TV show's continuity from what I remember.
    So, maybe written more for people who'd followed the TV show?

And without getting spoilery, the way MMPR the comic progressed it ultimately may not matter.
    spoilers:
    Heard they did a Days of Future Past/Star Trek (2009) "save the world by changing history" kinda thing in the final act. Suppose it could be possible that Pink and Justice League were the original future of the timeline and Shattered Grid erased that if the writers don't want to be required to fit future storytelling into those minis.
    end of spoilers

At this point I consider it a nice contained story that gives Kim a nice sendoff away from the series.
    Fair point; a good story should work on its own terms irregardless of the other aspects of the franchise.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

spoilers:
    Having Zack and Trini dating in Pink does kinda hamstring Go Go's idea that Trini has feelings for Jason if the two stories are supposed to be in the same continuity.

I'm also not exactly tickled pink (pun intended) of the idea that the G1 Rangers getting written out; while I do respect that the franchise overall has had multiple incarnations a la Star Trek, I personally don't have any interest outside of the original five-person team, so I'd actually like it if G1 stay the core Ranger team for the entirety of Boom's run (mileage may vary).
    end of spoilers

So, maybe written more for people who'd followed the TV show?

spoilers:
    Heard they did a Days of Future Past/Star Trek (2009) "save the world by changing history" kinda thing in the final act. Suppose it could be possible that Pink and Justice League were the original future of the timeline and Shattered Grid erased that if the writers don't want to be required to fit future storytelling into those minis.
    end of spoilers

Fair point; a good story should work on its own terms irregardless of the other aspects of the franchise.
    I wouldn't worry about spoilers:
    Zack and Trini being a thing in relation to Go Go. The Pink mini-series began just a few months after MMPR did and Go Go wouldn't start up for another year until after the comics proved succesful. Pink wouldn't have known what they wanted to do with Go Go and seemed to be written way more with the TV series in mind as it stemmed right from when Kim left the show. It even included her breakup letter to Tommy which much of the fanbase hates.

In part, I see Pink as a means to give Kim's some closure since that's something characters were often denied on the show (though she definitely got one of the better show sendoffs). I think the same sentiment was applied to Zack and Trini both in bringing them into the mini and putting them together to give the fans some sort of happy ending for them, especially since neither Zack nor Trini was mentioned again after they left the show. Jason at least got to come back to do Zeo.
    end of spoilers

So yeah, I wouldn't consider Pink relevant where Go Go is concerned.

[QUOTE=ariwl1;3913043]I wouldn't worry about spoilers:
    Zack and Trini being a thing in relation to Go Go. The Pink mini-series began just a few months after MMPR did and Go Go wouldn't start up for another year until after the comics proved succesful. Pink wouldn't have known what they wanted to do with Go Go and seemed to be written way more with the TV series in mind as it stemmed right from when Kim left the show.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Wonder if the comics were originally meant to be a continuation of sorts to the TV show and not so much it's own thing early on? I mean, MMPR the comic seemed to assume that readers had seen the old show (like the Green Ranger story arc that appeared to be considered in continuity with the comics).

Having read a bit of both, I found that Go Go seemed to work better as an introduction for newbies to the franchise then MMPR the comic did: even if it kinda assumed that you'd either seen the pilot episode or knew enough about the franchise from general pop culture, taking time to introduce the characters and who they were before the Rangers gig to ease readers in rather then just throwing them in the deep end right away. Maybe Go Go's breaking away more from the TV show helped in that regard?
    end of spoilers

[QUOTE=ariwl1;3913043]spoilers:
    It even included her breakup letter to Tommy which much of the fanbase hates.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Heard about that. While I wouldn't blame viewers for not liking that (however logical it would be from a writing perspective to have Tommy dating a character on the show instead of being linked to a character who was gone for good), I'm honestly pretty agnostic on that point; I suppose partially since I can take or leave Tommy and, being introduced to the franchise through the 2017 movie, I think of Jason being the Ranger Kimberly is involved with -- although I have liked how Go Go had her dating the Matt character; nicely written and an interesting story so far (only read the first trade).
    end of spoilers

[QUOTE=ariwl1;3913043]spoilers:
    In part, I see Pink as a means to give Kim's some closure since that's something characters were often denied on the show (though she definitely got one of the better show sendoffs). I think the same sentiment was applied to Zack and Trini both in bringing them into the mini and putting them together to give the fans some sort of happy ending for them, especially since neither Zack nor Trini was mentioned again after they left the show. Jason at least got to come back to do Zeo.
    end of spoilers

[QUOTE=ariwl1;3913043]I suppose with Thuy Trang's passing, that kinda forced her character to be retired early, at least as far as the TV shows go. I'm also under the impression that she and Zack were kind of underused in the show itself, never minding them getting written out so early. In any event, I do like that the comics (so far) seem to be trying to give all the characters balanced spotlight.[spoil]

So yeah, I wouldn't consider Pink relevant where Go Go is concerned.
    Yeah, and at the end of the day, it's all just fiction. I just tend to be one of those people who gets really wrapped up in the narrative and the internal continuity in serialized fiction, so I'm more bothered if a change I'm not a fan of is on the books as happening in the "official" timeline, even if it's isolated from the other parts of the franchise (and I also kinda like to know if stuff is canon or non-canon beforehand since that affects how I approach the story).

Would be interesting to hear how this comics franchise evolved and if the creators plans changes along the way.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

So the next MMPR issue came out today, marking the beginning of the next era of the Rangers. I was unsure of what the mission of this team would be but starting out...

spoilers:
    We're going with the "Lost in Space" storyline. The colony appears to be unaware of what happened to Drakkon but they're stuck out in the far reaches of space and have limited morphs left. And the mysterious new ranger appears to be taking all that they have left.
    end of spoilers

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

My prediction was Solar Ranger

spoilers:
    was Karone, but considering Solar Ranger attacks her that might be out. Unless we are talking time travel.
    end of spoilers[/QUOTE] Anyway I'm interested in the new team. I know most of them from their perspective seasons, aside from Heckyl since I just started watching Dino Charge.

I used to watch power ranger when young.

Today's Go Go was mainly an introductory issue, continuing the plot threads that were already in motion.

Of note:
    spoilers:
    - In a nod to the show, the comic recreates the fight with Pudgy Pig, a bit of a fan favorite.
    - Matt is still hardcore not talking to any of the Rangers. He won't even acknowledge them.
    - Jason's taking time to care for his ill dad, and he hasn't told any of his friends about it yet.
    - The Rad Bug is introduced as an attempt of Billy's dad to bond with his son (I (D'aaaaawwwed")
    - Rita opens a gate to another planet/dimension (that happens to be in the middle of a miniature golf course), and after she walks through Jason and Trini get sucked in behind her. This begins the color swap arc as Trini is now red and Jason yellow.
    - And there's a cute scene with Trini and her mother where they poke fun at Rangers wearing their colors. Trini's mom can tell she's got eyes for a boy (presumably Jason still), though Trini stays tight lipped about it.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by ariwl1; 10-13-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Go Go's artist has changed. They handwaved the differences with a line about Trini changing her hair (which is now even shorter - always found that odd, since she had long hair on the show).

I suppose with Thuy Trang's passing, that kinda forced her character to be retired early, at least as far as the TV shows go. I'm also under the impression that she and Zack were kind of underused in the show itself, never minding them getting written out so early. In any event, I do like that the comics (so far) seem to be trying to give all the characters balanced spotlight
    Thuy died in 2001. There was nothing stopping them mentioning her or even having her show up in Zeo or Turbo, which were made in 1996-7.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I think Walter Jones (Zack) did come back to do some voice work in a few later seasons.

But there's some red tape complicating things. Power Rangers has always (to my knowledge) used non-union labor to produce the show. Saban was infamous for paying the original Rangers cast pathetically little, among numerous other issues, and the Screen Actors Guild has effectively forbidden its members from working on the show, and I think that's still in effect to this day. So Walter Jones and David Yost (Billy) at a minimum are SAG members now and have said they can't work on anything Power Rangers related without being punished by the union while that ban is in effect.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.e2368892a323

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Go Go's artist has changed. They handwaved the differences with a line about Trini changing her hair (which is now even shorter - always found that odd, since she had long hair on the show).
    Well, they did draw her with a long hairstyle in the main MMPR comics (set later in the timeline).

Thuy died in 2001. There was nothing stopping them mentioning her or even having her show up in Zeo or Turbo, which were made in 1996-7.
    Fair enough.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Fantastic Member

I think Walter Jones (Zack) did come back to do some voice work in a few later seasons.
    He did. He voiced a monster in Lost Galaxy and I believe he also voiced one of the robots in Forever Red.

He also hosted the lost episode special along with Austin St John.

Well, they did draw her with a long hairstyle in the main MMPR comics (set later in the timeline).
    Which makes what Go Go did even odder - since MMPR was set during season 1, it must be less than a year after the events of Go Go. No way would it grow out that fast. It wouldn't have been an issue if it was the other way around.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Which makes what Go Go did even odder - since MMPR was set during season 1, it must be less than a year after the events of Go Go. No way would it grow out that fast. It wouldn't have been an issue if it was the other way around.
    Eh, artistic license. Besides, who's to say that the comics timeline followed the original TV show? Hardly anything's been timestamped in regards to the gap between the two series, the comics were always an alternate timeline to the show and made a narrative point of showing that things unfolded completely differently.

spoilers:
    While I haven't read "Shattered Grid" yet, it is my understanding that the event essentially pulled an X-Men: Days of Future Past the whole world, so it might moot as is?
    end of spoilers
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

So i just read 31 and 32 of the comic and to be Honest im confused by it can anyone tell me whats going on