Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Go Go Power Rangers #1 came out today. I wasn't sure there was room for another Mighty Morphin comic, but this was genuinely awesome. Definite recommend.

Incredible Member

Looking at the preview for Go Go Power Rangers and uhm...."EDM"?

Zack's fav is hip-hop.....not EDM, writer.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    Looking at the preview for Go Go Power Rangers and uhm...."EDM"?

Zack's fav is hip-hop.....not EDM, writer.

Yeah, see, this is the "modernized" MMPR, where the comic's taking place in 2016-17 and not the 1990s but otherwise is the same storyline as the show.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Yeah, see, this is the "modernized" MMPR, where the comic's taking place in 2016-17 and not the 1990s but otherwise is the same storyline as the show.
    Last I checked, hip-hop and rap music still exists and is still a modern thing.

If this is based on the storylines and "things MMPR" on the show, Zack liking hip-hop was a part of that and it's not far fetched to have that in a "modernized" take.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Go Go Power Rangers #1 came out today. I wasn't sure there was room for another Mighty Morphin comic, but this was genuinely awesome. Definite recommend.
    I have to agree. I just finished reading it. Initially I was hesitant to try this. Purely because, like you, I wasn't sure there would be room for another MMPR title. Boy was I wrong! I love what Higgins is doing with the main title, but I felt this first issue surpassed it. This feels more character focused and comes across as being more personal. Plus there is a level of maturity in how the Rangers are depicted here. I also prefer this art over the main title.

It is still early days. However if the creative team can keep this up, we will have a real winner on our hands. Who would have thought that we would be living in a world where we have not one, but two great Power Ranger titles?

This is what the movie this year should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I have to agree. I just finished reading it. Initially I was hesitant to try this. Purely because, like you, I wasn't sure there would be room for another MMPR title. Boy was I wrong! I love what Higgins is doing with the main title, but I felt this first issue surpassed it. This feels more character focused and comes across as being more personal. Plus there is a level of maturity in how the Rangers are depicted here. I also prefer this art over the main title.

It is still early days. However if the creative team can keep this up, we will have a real winner on our hands. Who would have thought that we would be living in a world where we have not one, but two great Power Ranger titles?

This is what the movie this year should have been.
    When it was announced that this book would feature the same characters I was worried it would be too much, but the format allows the characters room to breathe in a way the main comic has trouble with sometimes. The fact that at this point there's no Tommy to inevitably take the center spotlight helps as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    When it was announced that this book would feature the same characters I was worried it would be too much, but the format allows the characters room to breathe in a way the main comic has trouble with sometimes. The fact that at this point there's no Tommy to inevitably take the center spotlight helps as well.
    I agree 100%. Another thing that is appealing with this series is, and if you read the interview with the creators at the end of the issue you've probably noticed it, is that they specifically state their intention to tell more ground and personal tales. They want to get inside the characters heads and explore what it means to be a Ranger. I also love that they are going to reveal how they originally met and if there were always five or if there was a sixth members before Tommy. I also liked the shout out to the main MMPR title with the introduction of Matt (If you've been following that series you'll know Kimberly had a boyfriend before Tommy called Matt and the events surrounding that are raw with her.)

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

Let me just say that I really enjoyed issue #1 Go Go. It should be interesting seeing what happens between Kimberly and Matt. I'm also really happy that there's another Power Rangers title I can read. The more the merrier, I say.

Another thing I gotta mention is how absolutely AWESOME the arc that just concluded in the main title was. I mean, it was epic, man. It reminded me of why I love the Rangers so much, after all these years. I always said to both friends and family that a mature, on-going, comic book with the Rangers is what most fans wanted, and boy did that arc deliver.

The arc that just ended in the main title was really good. Really it's been an overarching story since #1.. but man.. what a way to kick off a Power Rangers book. Not to mention the main one, and first one. It was also funny to see JDF mention that because of the creation of Lord Drakkon, he now has another character to play. Imagine seeing JDF play Drakkon in a movie?

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

Being as how he's older and in his forties, I could see it potentially working.

Worth the price of the ticket to see that.

DC/PR #5 came out today (was this thing delayed? It's been ages...). So far there really hasn't been much to this series and that continues here.

But that last page though. That is pure cotton-candy fun right there.

Deluxe Year One hardcover:

I was actually just about to post to asking if anybody had heard anything about a collected edition or anything, so happy now!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

No issue of GGPR in November? Bummer.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.