Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maximum Carnage

I loved the idea of it... I liked the hero vs anti-hero to take out mega-evil. I LOVED all the guest stars. Everyone from Firestar to Captain America to Cloak and Dagger... It just had this whole Royal Rumble feel to it...

However it was WAY too long. This would have been a fantastic six part series. Stretching it out to 14?!? was WAY to redundant and repetitive, and I didn't care for the end.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    I would take any JMS story arc over Maximum Carnage. But that's just me.
    Anything by JMS? Including One More Day? I
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

OMD was more Quesada than JMS

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    OMD was more Quesada than JMS
    Still had a hand in the stupid story. Point I am making at that poster is that he or she didn't sound like it was thought through. Even JMS was involved in rather stupid stories like Sins Past and OMD. He wouldn't put his name to OMD because the top guns would not approve of OMD erasing Sins Past from continuity. He felt that Gwen and Harry should both be alive at the end, as well as MJ getting saved instead of Aunt May. Personally, I would take the mythological Spider-Man with Ezekiel and The Other over Maximum Carnage, if you are talking JMS. The premise of Maximum Carnage wasn't bad, it just dragged on.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Still had a hand in the stupid story. Point I am making at that poster is that he or she didn't sound like it was thought through. Even JMS was involved in rather stupid stories like Sins Past and OMD. He wouldn't put his name to OMD because the top guns would not approve of OMD erasing Sins Past from continuity. He felt that Gwen and Harry should both be alive at the end, as well as MJ getting saved instead of Aunt May. Personally, I would take the mythological Spider-Man with Ezekiel and The Other over Maximum Carnage, if you are talking JMS. The premise of Maximum Carnage wasn't bad, it just dragged on.
    I'm aware of the circuntances of the whole deal, Sin Past was just kind of meh for meh, his biggest problem is that doesn't make sense in contunuity (because Gwen definetly wasn't pregnant on those issues) and being kind of mean spirited toward the Peter/Gwen relation. But i'm saying that was more Quesada than JMS because he didn't have a problem with the marriage (the whole reason of why OMD was planned to begin with) and went along with it because he thought that he could erased some things of his run.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    True, I may not have entirely thought that one out but the return of Molten Man, Morlun, The Other, the schoolteacher days, all of those count for more of JMS then how he took the role as the executioner at the end. Even JMS has his not so good times, but he had a great run overall. I do not see any need for nitpicking the bad ending of his run.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I just don't get it. Never in my life have I been able to make it past the FF level boss.
    There's a REALLY cheap way to beat the Muzzoid (the giant robot), but it takes a while. Position yourself directly above it and just jump down on it repeatedly when it's standing still. Don't press any attack buttons; just jump on it and then jump back onto the wall. Lather, rinse and repeat and you won't take any damage (but your "fighting accuracy" score at the end will be abysmal). Trying to trade blows with it is suicide, especially because even if you beat it, it'll nail you with a parting shot that'll one-shot you if you're within reach.

That being said, "Maximum Carnage" is still my all-time favorite Spidey game. Every couple of months I'll dust it off and do a play-through.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    The problem with One More Day was that it was consequential more than anything else. If Peter and MJ had come to a different decision in the middle of Part 4, the whole saga would have a different reputation, suggesting that many of the complaints are about how it changed the series rather than how it was told.

Maximum Carnage has problems with craft and storytelling.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

All-New Member

Just recently decided to read the old comics i bought as a kid and never read.

Started with the Maximum Carnage set.

I agree with most of the replies here regarding the flow of the story. Personally, i found Venom to be the star of the show. Unrelenting in his pursuit to get the job done - never deviating from the goal.

I get the moral dilemma Spiderman had throughout, but at some point i figured he'd take a utilitarianism approach and kill for the greater good. Some of the Hero's "goodiness" got tiresome for me, but maybe that was just a reflection of the 90s?

All in all it was an enjoyable start to reading comics.. now onto the other 90's Amazing Spiderman books i have and then Absolute Carnage!

Maximum Carnage had some serious issues with it such as some blatant padding at points. I could definitely see how some fans would have problems with it. It’s not a particularly well written story and won’t ever crack people’s top 5 for stories. Also Spider-Man moral dilemma got pretty stale and annoying after a while during the later parts.

Even with that said, I still loved the story lol. I just found it flat out fun and it will forever hold that nostalgic hold on my heart. While it’s nowhere near the level of other Spider-Man stories it’s definitely one of my personal favorites ever simply for the fun factor. It’s one of those stories that when I read it, it just takes me back to that moment when I was younger.

trying to read maximum carnage felt like my brain was being crucified